Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:26 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology
Schools:Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: The new criterion for MBA admissions - BW article [#permalink]
ElleBee wrote:
I read this article a few days ago and it definitely made me a bit nervous as a career changer. But yeah, I feel like I have pretty realistic goals and that I can articulate them well (plus I wouldn't graduate until 2012) so hopefully it isn't too much of a hindrance for me or others hoping to change careers.

"Employability" doesn't necessarily mean non-career switcher.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Steel wrote:
ElleBee wrote:
I read this article a few days ago and it definitely made me a bit nervous as a career changer. But yeah, I feel like I have pretty realistic goals and that I can articulate them well (plus I wouldn't graduate until 2012) so hopefully it isn't too much of a hindrance for me or others hoping to change careers.

"Employability" doesn't necessarily mean non-career switcher.

Very true.

For example, an engineer going from chemical manufacturing (on the technical side) to the oil industry (on the business side) is a career change, but also one very supported by employers.

I think one way to overcome any issues with a career change is to do your homework and make sure that comes across in your essays. Doing things like talking to people who have already made the same career change or even just talking to people in your target industry and getting positive feedback about your goals can go a long way to convincing the admin of the feasibility of your goals.

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
 Q49  V39
I don't think it will have too much of an effect this coming application season. It's already competitive due to the layoffs that occurred over the past year. The gradual shift to emphasis on employability referred to in this article isn't going to make or break most applicants.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I don't think this is a new criteria, employability has long been something schools have thought about. Its especially true these days when you have such a tough job market. Having a significant number of students/grads having buyers remorse will certainly have a negative impact on a schools brand. This year was very tough and its unclear how long it will last, so schools definitely might be more careful with admitting students that based on experience will be tougher to find suitable jobs for.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: GM
Schools:Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Send PM
Refurb,

I plan on doing what you suggested, going from a technical engineering position to oil..... Hopefully schools don't have a problem with that :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
techincal engineering to oil is a really good path. Thats one of the best feeders for the big oil companies. They definitely can leverage your technical knowledge and it also helps that is the background of nearly all the senior management have engineering degrees. Where I am, most everyone has an engineering undergrad and most managers have advanced degrees an equal mix of MBA's and MS eng, with a handful of Phds and JDs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
stopper5 wrote:
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/jul2009/bs2009079_054049.htm?chan=bschools_bschool+index+page_top+stories

In summary: "Employability"/Resume > GMAT/GPA/ECs

I wonder how many adcoms they interviewed. I feel this article raises some questions if you are thinking of writing a "career change" essay.

Thoughts? :?

I wouldn't be that worried about it. It all related to the ancient question of realistic goals. If your career change it realistic (i.e., you're a lawyer who wants to go into general management) than your career switch essay will be fine. If you are a painter hoping to start his own hedge fund straight out of school you may be in a bit of a problem.

The problem with these articles is that they take something and make a much bigger deal out of it. MBA applicants are at a stage where they are thirsty for this information and view places like Businessweek as a reliable source. Unfortunately, businessweek and its counterparts have to sell page views so it makes sense for them to post articles like this one.

Career switchers - just make sure your feet are on the ground and that your goals are realistic.
GMAT Club Bot