GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Sep 2018, 23:00
5
38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

22% (01:56) correct 78% (01:58) wrong based on 1532 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand.


(A) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand

(B) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

(C) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

(D) An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form

(E) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances, both inherent parts of Thai culture, and a dance developed by the Ministry of Agriculture named The Farmer's Dance, constitute, along with others, the main dramatic art form of Thailand

Originally posted by shailendrasharma on 14 Jul 2013, 05:33.
Last edited by Bunuel on 11 Sep 2018, 23:00, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 242
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2013, 06:04
6
The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand.

(A) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand

Wrong, Plural Subj <--> Singulard Verb

(B) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand
Wrong, Sing subject <--> Plural verb

(C) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand
Wrong, change of meaning : the Farmer's Dance is just an example in the original sentence ( such as ..)

(D) An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form
Wrong , Misplaced modifier

(E) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances, both inherent parts of Thai culture, and a dance developed by the Ministry of Agriculture named The Farmer's Dance, constitute, along with others, the main dramatic art form of Thailand
Correct
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2011
Posts: 49
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 00:09
1
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4512
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Aug 2015, 02:30
1
1
Please remember that the F Dance is an example of the songs developed by the Ministry of Agriculture. IMO it is not the combination of just three dances alone that constitutes the dramatic art form. It is the combination of the two cultural dances and other dances developed by Ministry Agriculture, the F dance being just one of those.

A. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand -- SV error

B. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand --- when as well as is part of the subject, the verb must agree with the noun before as well as.—are is wrong verb

C. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand -- There is a meaning shift from dances developed by Ministry of Agriculture to the F dance developed by the ministry.

D. An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form -- Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances – is breach of grammar since the first two types are two different dances there should be an and between them; otherwise, parallelism will be the casualty, In addition, ‘an inherent part’ of Thai culture seems to modify all the types of dances; this leads to wrong meaning.

E. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances, both inherent parts of Thai culture, and a dance developed by the Ministry of Agriculture named The Farmer's Dance, constitute, along with others, the main dramatic art form of Thailand –---- material shift in meaning. The combination should be the N dance, the T dance and along with such dances developed by the MOA such as the F dance and not the N dance, the T dance and the F dance along with others – There is also a lingering doubt whether the Ministry itself is named after the F dance
To me, none too is satisfactory; in a way, we may accept, E as the best of the worst, since there is at least no grammar error.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509


Originally posted by daagh on 19 Aug 2015, 22:10.
Last edited by daagh on 20 Aug 2015, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 846
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 02:23
1
A. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand

B. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

C. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand > Changes meaning by removing the words "with others"!

D. An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form

E. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances, both inherent parts of Thai culture, and a dance developed by the Ministry of Agriculture named The Farmer's Dance, constitute, along with others, the main dramatic art form of Thailand > This sentence corrects the error by using the plural verb constitute with the plural subject The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances.
_________________

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 297
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 03:40
1
reto wrote:
The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand.

A. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand

B. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

C. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

D. An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form

E. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances, both inherent parts of Thai culture, and a dance developed by the Ministry of Agriculture named The Farmer's Dance, constitute, along with others, the main dramatic art form of Thailand


This one is toughie!!

A. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand

Subject Verb error

B. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

Subject verb error

C. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

Change of meaning - The Farmer's Dance is just one of the many other dances

D. An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form

The appositive ( noun-modifier) refers to both forms of dance as per the original sentence. Here, it is confusingly placed to modify only one form of dance.
Subject verb error

E. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances, both inherent parts of Thai culture, and a dance developed by the Ministry of Agriculture named The Farmer's Dance, constitute, along with others, the main dramatic art form of Thailand

No SV error and all modifiers placed correctly.

Hope the above helps!!

I donot Mind Kudos
_________________

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2014
Posts: 128
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 05:37
1
samichange wrote:
reto wrote:
The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand.

A. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand

B. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

C. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

D. An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form

E. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances, both inherent parts of Thai culture, and a dance developed by the Ministry of Agriculture named The Farmer's Dance, constitute, along with others, the main dramatic art form of Thailand


This one is toughie!!

A. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand

Subject Verb error

B. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

Subject verb error

C. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

Change of meaning - The Farmer's Dance is just one of the many other dances

D. An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form

The appositive ( noun-modifier) refers to both forms of dance as per the original sentence. Here, it is confusingly placed to modify only one form of dance.
Subject verb error

E. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances, both inherent parts of Thai culture, and a dance developed by the Ministry of Agriculture named The Farmer's Dance, constitute, along with others, the main dramatic art form of Thailand

No SV error and all modifiers placed correctly.

Hope the above helps!!

I donot Mind Kudos


Please explain B..still dont get.
X as well as Y --> plural right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 297
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 06:04
2
anupamadw wrote:
Please explain B..still dont get.
X as well as Y --> plural right?


X and Y = Plural

No ... X as well as Y = Singular

X along with Y = Singular

X, in addition to Y = Singular

X OR Y = Verb depends upon Y not X i.e. the nearest subject

ONLY and leads to a compound subject

Hope all the above helps!!



I donot mind Kuods
_________________

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2011
Posts: 100
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 23:07
chetan2u, please explain. I have not come across such structure in Official Question and I am bit confused about the subject.
In A,
X dance and Y dance are part of Thai culture , and ....
Here and with comma is mentioned, so supposed to be a new clause. Why in discussion people mentioning constitutes , which is singular verb and is related to Z dance, needs to be plural.
How come the subject will be
X dance and Y dance are ..., and along with Z dance
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7036
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 23:25
1
sudhirmadaan wrote:
chetan2u, please explain. I have not come across such structure in Official Question and I am bit confused about the subject.
In A,
X dance and Y dance are part of Thai culture , and ....
Here and with comma is mentioned, so supposed to be a new clause. Why in discussion people mentioning constitutes , which is singular verb and is related to Z dance, needs to be plural.
How come the subject will be
X dance and Y dance are ..., and along with Z dance


Hi,
the structure is "X and Y are something and along with Z constitute/constitutes ".....
always remember ONLY 'and' makes a compund sentence, which is plural...
'along with' just adds on to existing info...
'as well as', 'together with' are OTHER additives which do not change the verb..

say the sentence read-
X is something and along with z constitute/constitutes..
here VERB refers backs to ONLY X..
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2011
Posts: 100
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 23:32
chetan2u wrote:
sudhirmadaan wrote:
chetan2u, please explain. I have not come across such structure in Official Question and I am bit confused about the subject.
In A,
X dance and Y dance are part of Thai culture , and ....
Here and with comma is mentioned, so supposed to be a new clause. Why in discussion people mentioning constitutes , which is singular verb and is related to Z dance, needs to be plural.
How come the subject will be
X dance and Y dance are ..., and along with Z dance


Hi,
the structure is "X and Y are something and along with Z constitute/constitutes ".....
always remember ONLY 'and' makes a compund sentence, which is plural...
'along with' just adds on to existing info...
'as well as', 'together with' are OTHER additives which do not change the verb..

say the sentence read-
X is something and along with z constitute/constitutes..
here VERB refers backs to ONLY X..


I agree with additives. What about comma with and .. and ... comma with but , which marks for new clause.
Moreover A and B are something ... is already a clause. Please clarify. I am still confused
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7036
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 23:39
1
sudhirmadaan wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
sudhirmadaan wrote:
chetan2u, please explain. I have not come across such structure in Official Question and I am bit confused about the subject.
In A,
X dance and Y dance are part of Thai culture , and ....
Here and with comma is mentioned, so supposed to be a new clause. Why in discussion people mentioning constitutes , which is singular verb and is related to Z dance, needs to be plural.
How come the subject will be
X dance and Y dance are ..., and along with Z dance


Hi,
the structure is "X and Y are something and along with Z constitute/constitutes ".....
always remember ONLY 'and' makes a compund sentence, which is plural...
'along with' just adds on to existing info...
'as well as', 'together with' are OTHER additives which do not change the verb..

say the sentence read-
X is something and along with z constitute/constitutes..
here VERB refers backs to ONLY X..


I agree with additives. What about comma with and .. and ... comma with but , which marks for new clause.
Moreover A and B are something ... is already a clause. Please clarify. I am still confused


Ofcourse we are not talking of something which is CORRECT here...
So i'll just talk of the pattern here..

"X and Y are something and along with Z constitute/constitutes ". can be read as-
"X and Y are something and X and Y, along with Z, constitute/constitutes ".--

so the second clause "along with ..." is taking the subjest from the main clause..
so second clause should be dependent clause and should not be joined with ",(COMMA) AND"..
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 269
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 01:37
The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand.

(A) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitutes the main dramatic art form of Thailand

(B) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

(C) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

(D) An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form

(E) The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan and Teut-Teung dances, both inherent parts of Thai culture, and a dance developed by the Ministry of Agriculture named The Farmer's Dance, constitute, along with others, the main dramatic art form of Thailand
--> correct.
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4512
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 08:51
Top Contributor
Lets' try to understand whether the OE depicts correct perceptions about the SV agreement when 'as well as' is used in the subject. The idea is not to discuss stylistic clumsiness but only grammatical correctness.

B. The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance as well as Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part of Thai culture, and along with others such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of Agriculture, constitute the main dramatic art form of Thailand

OE: Although this answer choice corrects the original Subject Verb Agreement error by changing the singular verb constitutes to the plural verb constitute, it is stylistically flawed. The phrase as well as is redundant since it can be replaced with the more concise and.

Clarification sought: When as well as is used in the subject, is the subject compounded to warrant a plural verb as has been made out in the OE?


D. An inherent part of Thai culture, the Sri-NuanSri-Nuan, Teut-Teung as well as other dances such as The Farmer's Dance, developed by the Ministry of agriculture, constitute the main Thai dramatic art form

OE: Although this answer choice corrects the original Subject Verb Agreement error by changing the singular verb constitutes to the plural verb constitute, it is stylistically flawed. The phrase as well as is redundant since it can be replaced with the more concise and. Additionally, the phrase main Thai dramatic art form is awkward and clumsy.

Clarification sought: Why there is no conjunction between SN dance and TT dance if the phrase is used as compounded subject to warrant a plural verb? In other words, is the use of the plural verb a change for better or an error by itself?

The surprise is that the company's OE says that the use of as well as' is redundant when the more concise 'and' could have been used. If so, are 'and' … 'as well as' synonymous?
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Oct 2015
Posts: 241
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 01:40
so the only mistake of c is that it omits the word "among others" ?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 01:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Sri-NuanSri-Nuan dance and Teut-Teung dance are an inherent part

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.