Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [84]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 550 Q35 V30
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31929 [27]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [16]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: The table above shows the quantities and prices per pound of three [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Can any one explain how to decipher phrases such as "Twice as many pounds of cashews as almonds" etc ? I always get these statements wrong. Need help asap.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [11]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
The table above shows the quantities and prices per pound of three [#permalink]
Kudos
Abe87 wrote:
Hi Can any one explain how to decipher phrases such as "Twice as many pounds of cashews as almonds" etc ? I always get these statements wrong. Need help asap.

Hi its easy, you can just remeber it this way
"the variable which is at the center(cashews) " = "the factor by which it is greater/Lesser (twice)" * "the variable at the end(almonds)"
This works all the time u can just try it out.
Dont try to decipher just write it this way.

Hope this helps... :)
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Just "make it true" by setting a=1, c=2 and w=3. You now have 6 pounds of cashews that average out to slightly more than $4 per pound. $4/pound x 6 pounds = $24, so the answer must be Choice E.

-Brian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The table above shows the quantities and prices per pound of three [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello

I am having a bit of trouble understanding the wording of this question and I'm hoping one of you can help.

I understand how to add up the quantities and get 24.5. No problem there. My query is why is it 24.5a? If a=$4.00 then this doesn't make sense to me. Are we really just substituting the letter "a" for the "$" sign? I thought when the question asked for the cost in terms of "a", it wanted to know how many "a's", would it take to make something of the same cost i.e. $24.50. (answer being. 24.5/4, which is not in the answer choices)

Thanks in advance

Mike
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
MikeyMark wrote:
Hello

I am having a bit of trouble understanding the wording of this question and I'm hoping one of you can help.

I understand how to add up the quantities and get 24.5. No problem there. My query is why is it 24.5a? If a=$4.00 then this doesn't make sense to me. Are we really just substituting the letter "a" for the "$" sign? I thought when the question asked for the cost in terms of "a", it wanted to know how many "a's", would it take to make something of the same cost i.e. $24.50. (answer being. 24.5/4, which is not in the answer choices)

Thanks in advance

Mike

I have this same question! Can someone respond please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
onmywaytoboston wrote:
MikeyMark wrote:
Hello

Thanks in advance

Mike

I have this same question! Can someone respond please?

Hi MikeyMark & onmywaytoboston ,
I'll try to explain. The problem at hand is an average problem. Seller wants to make his/her job easier by reducing the quantities to an average so that the total price could be calculated depending on quantity of Almond bought.

It becomes a lot clearer if we use units with the variables.

Lets say, Quantity of cashews bought is c lbs , Almonds be a lbs and Walnuts be w lbs respectively.

So, to answer you question whether we could just substitute the letter "a" for the "$" sign?
No.

But we can substitute "a" with "a lbs of Almond".

Application?

Say you have 50$ and you want to buy nut mix. How would seller calculate how much of each type of nuts should he/she use?

24.5 * a = 50
a = 2.04 lbs of almond

Since we are given conditions to calculate quantities for cashews and Walnut, we use them as following.
c = 2a = 2 * 2.04 = 2.08 lbs of cashews
w = 3a = 3 * 2.04 = 6.12 lbs of walnuts

Hope that helps.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Cashews(c) = 2 * almonds(a) = $ 3.50 * 2 * a = $7a

Walnuts(c) = 3 * almonds(a) = $ 4.50 * 3 * a = $13.5a

Almonds = a * $4 = $4a

Total: $7a + $13.5a + $4a = $24.5a

Answer E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Kudos
The ratio:

cashews: almonds: walnuts = 2 : 1 : 3

2a: 1a: 3a

Although we know the ratio of the quantity, simply adding up the ratio is not correct. This would give us 6a, which is a trap answer. We need to take into consideration how each quantity is weighted:

2a * 3.5 = 7a
a * 4 = 4a
3a * 4.5 = 13.5a
total = 24.5a
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
MikeyMark wrote:
Hello

Thanks in advance

Mike

The answer is 24.5a because a is the variable. We don't know what the value of a is. It could be 5 or it could be 10,000.

cashews: almonds: walnuts
2a: 1a: 3a

The only thing we know is the ratio of cashews: almonds: walnuts; we don't know the exact amount.

After accounting for the cost of each nut, we have:

7a: 4a: 13.5a = 24.5a
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
TurgCorp wrote:
The table above shows the quantities and prices per pound of three types of nuts that are combined to make a nut mixture. The mixture contains twice as many pounds of cashews as pounds of almonds, and 3 times as many pounds of walnuts as pounds of almonds. What is the cost of the mixture, in dollars, expressed in terms of a?

A) 4a
B) 6a
C) 13.5a
D) 20.5a
E) 24.5a

Can someone pls let me know if there is any general way to translate such sentences into equations. I tend to get it opposite most of the time. Even here i wrote it as a=2c

pls help
VeritasKarishma Bunuel mikemcgarry
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64919 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM