It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are known cases of children developing strong opposition to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
There are known cases of children developing strong opposition to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 08:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:15) correct 31% (01:24) wrong based on 643 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are known cases of children developing strong opposition to drinking water. Liquids are vital for the body so some parents solve the problem by adding artificial flavoring to the water they give their children to drink. The artificial flavoring has a high sugar content and contains many chemical additives. Since the only other option is dehydration, sometimes even resulting in death, parents should use the artificial flavoring to prevent this from happening.

Which of the following, if true, most undermines the argument's conclusion?

A. Soda beverages are often blamed for the tendency of many children to resist drinking water.
B. Water can be made more attractive to children by the addition of a piece of citrus fruit or a fun-shaped ice cube.
C. Dehydration can be caused by excessive vomiting or may occur as a symptom of a disease.
D. The sugar in artificial flavouring is usually created from glucose, a natural source.
E. In warm climates, the chances of dehydration can be lowered by keeping perspiration to a minimum.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: There are known cases of children developing strong opposition to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 04:33
n2223 wrote:
There are known cases of children developing strong opposition to drinking water. Liquids are vital for the body so some parents solve the problem by adding artificial flavoring to the water they give their children to drink. The artificial flavoring has a high sugar content and contains many chemical additives. Since the only other option is dehydration, sometimes even resulting in death, parents should use the artificial flavoring to prevent this from happening.

A. Soda beverages are often blamed for the tendency of many children to resist drinking water.
B. Water can be made more attractive to children by the addition of a piece of citrus fruit or a fun-shaped ice cube.
C. Dehydration can be caused by excessive vomiting or may occur as a symptom of a disease.
D. The sugar in artificial flavouring is usually created from glucose, a natural source.
E. In warm climates, the chances of dehydration can be lowered by keeping perspiration to a minimum.

Premise: Children do not like drinking water, therefore parents are forced to add artificial flavoring to make the children like the drink.
Conclusion: It says that there are only two options 1) Drink the artificial flavoring or 2) Get dehydrated.

What if there are other healthier ways too. This will attack the conclusion that there are only two possible outcomes.
Option B tells us that by adding piece of citrus fruit or a fun-shaped ice cube, water can be made attractive.
Correct Option: B

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 149

Schools: HEC Montreal '21
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: There are known cases of children developing strong opposition to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 05:07
HI
I marked C. My logic: Drink flavored water -----> save from dehydratio i.e. dehydration prevented. But what if dehydration is caused by other things???
Pl help

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 149

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 275

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 04:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
saurabhsavant wrote:
HI
I marked C. My logic: Drink flavored water -----> save from dehydratio i.e. dehydration prevented. But what if dehydration is caused by other things???
Pl help

Surely dehydration can be caused by other things but how does this knowledge helps in attacking the conclusion ?

Conclusion: Since the only other option is dehydration, sometimes even resulting in death, parents should use the artificial flavoring to prevent this from happening.

Dehydration will CAUSE DEATH and thus parents should CONTINUE using the artificial flavouring keeping aside the fact that these artificial flavours are also not good for health.

We have to STOP dehydration as well as make the water healthier. So what if there are other ways to do so.

Therefore correct answer is B.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 275

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 209

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 07:48
n2223 wrote:

our goal is to attack the conclusion: only way to keep kids hydrated is to add artificial flavoring.
A talks about soda - out of scope
B looks good...so it's possible to solve the problem in a different way...it presents an alternative...hold
C what causes dehydration is not what we are interested in - out
D it actually strengthens the conclusion - the artificial flavoring contains something good...it's the opposite...so out
E this one is out of scope too.

B should be the answer.

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 209

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 14:08
Conclusion: should add artifical flavors to avoid dehydration
Focus : Children are not drinking water

A, Soda - out of focus
B, fruits better than artificial : Perfect undermines/weakness , Alternative solution
C, Out of Focus
D, Strengthening
E, Out of Scope

B

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 101

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 29

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 17:35
B - took me longer than expected; Slightly different question style here

Cheers!
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 29

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 1496

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 13:28
there are a trap and a confusion here. B is right, but C is wrong.
The weakener will gives an alternative cause for the conclusion, not for the premise => B wins.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 1496

Re: There are known cases of children developing strong opposition to   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2017, 13:28

There are known cases of children developing strong opposition to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap