Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [24]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [2]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: This morning, a certain sugar container was full. Since then some of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

This morning, a certain sugar container was full. Since then some of the sugar from this container was used to make cookies. If no other sugar was removed from or added to the container, by what percent did the amount of sugar in the container decrease ?

1) The amount of sugar in the container after making the cookies would need to be increased by 30 percent to fill the container

2) Six cups of sugar from the container were used to make the cookies

We only have one variable as we only need to know the percentage of sugar if we let the total be 100%. There are 2 equations given from the 2 conditions, so there is high chance (D) will be our answer.
From condition 1, if we let the amount of sugar left be X, 1.3X=100%, so this is sufficient.
For condition 2, there is no relationship between percentage and number, so this is insufficient and the answer is (A).

from con 1) and con 2), if one of the conditions is given by numbers and the other is given by ratio (percent,fraction), then the condition with ratio (percent,fraction) value has higher chance of being the answer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Re: This morning, a certain sugar container was full. Since then some of [#permalink]
kanusha wrote:
This morning, a certain sugar container was full. Since then some of the sugar from this container was used to make cookies. If no other sugar was removed from or added to the container, by what percent did the amount of sugar in the container decrease ?

1) The amount of sugar in the container after making the cookies would need to be increased by 30 percent to fill the container

Can any explain in multipliers form
Mean 30% = 0.30

here everything talking in percentage..it is better to take any comfortable value i take 100gms of sugar is initially in container.
(1)let x gms is removed so adding 30% to 100-x gms will again be 100
(100-x)(1+30/100)=100
it will yield into some value of x gms.
so we can give a YES to our ans to the ques .asked.
(2) no info about quantity of cups..
insuff...
Ans A

Originally posted by rohit8865 on 12 Jun 2016, 07:58.
Last edited by rohit8865 on 18 Jun 2016, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Gnpth wrote:
kanusha wrote:

Mean 30% = 0.30

Normally we don't need assign any values in DS problems, variables should be fine.

Now, let X be the amount of sugar in the container when it was full.

St1 says that we need increase 30% to fill the container.

Let A be the amount removed.

Now. (X-A)0.30 + (X-A)= X.

When you add,

1.3(X-A)= X. We dont need to solve till last step in DS. This will give us one definite value for A.

So St-1 is sufficient.

St.2) it doesn't give us any other information. a cup can be 1gm or 20 gm, or even 1000gm. since we don't have definite value, It is insufficient.

So the answer is A. Hope it helps.

Can someone solve this completely!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Hi All,

Given:

+Morning = Full = x

+Change = Amount of sugar used = Unknown

+After = y (y < x)

Asked: [(x-y)/x]*100 =?

(1) The amount of sugar in the container after making the cookies would need to be increased by 30 percent to fill the container

=> Change = 30% of x = 0.3x => y = x - 0.3x = 0.7x

=> [(x-y)/x]*100 = [(x - 0.7x)/x]*100 => Sufficient

(2) Six cups of sugar from the container were used to make the cookies

What is total amount of six cups of sugar? We do not know => Insufficient

Answer = A.

Not sure my reasoning is correct. Please help.

Many thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Please let me know if my confusion/logic makes sense. I'd assumed that Statement 1 would be insufficient because since X could be anything, the percentage decrease itself could be anything. So since the percentage decrease for a cup with 100mg and a cup with 130mg are different, I thought it would be insufficient because you'd then get two different numbers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
kanusha wrote:

Mean 30% = 0.30

Statement 1: The % decrease from A (one value) to B (other value) will always yield a unique % increase from B to A. This is because you can express A and B in terms of the same variable. Sufficient

Statement 2: This one could have been helpful if we knew the absolute volume of the container in terms of total number of cups. Not Sufficient.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
futuremba96 wrote:
Please let me know if my confusion/logic makes sense. I'd assumed that Statement 1 would be insufficient because since X could be anything, the percentage decrease itself could be anything. So since the percentage decrease for a cup with 100mg and a cup with 130mg are different, I thought it would be insufficient because you'd then get two different numbers.

Hi

When we say 'a decrease of 20% in X', it means a decrease of 20% only, and nothing else.
Now if X=100, then a decrease of 20% would mean = 20% of 100 = 20
If X=120, then a decrease of 20% would mean = 20% of 120 = 24

So while the amounts of decrease (20 and 24) in the above two cases are different, the percentage decrease is same = 20%

Now in our given question, statement 1, after decreasing the sugar by a certain amount, remaining sugar needs to be increased by 30% to get back to the original value. So lets say remaining sugar is now = y. It needs to be increased by 30% of y = 0.3 y to get back to the its original value. This means original value of sugar was = y + 0.3y = 1.3y

So original value = 1.3y and final value = y, so the percentage decrease that took place was = (1.3y - y)/1.3y * 100 = 3/13 * 100 = 23% approximately
As you can see, the variable y is eliminated and the answer is independent of the value of y. Here it doesnt matter what the original value of y was.. whether y was 120 or 250 or 34.. the percentage decrease in sugar which took place was 23% only, this is fixed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
amanvermagmat wrote:
futuremba96 wrote:

Hi

When we say 'a decrease of 20% in X', it means a decrease of 20% only, and nothing else.
Now if X=100, then a decrease of 20% would mean = 20% of 100 = 20
If X=120, then a decrease of 20% would mean = 20% of 120 = 24

So while the amounts of decrease (20 and 24) in the above two cases are different, the percentage decrease is same = 20%

Now in our given question, statement 1, after decreasing the sugar by a certain amount, remaining sugar needs to be increased by 30% to get back to the original value. So lets say remaining sugar is now = y. It needs to be increased by 30% of y = 0.3 y to get back to the its original value. This means original value of sugar was = y + 0.3y = 1.3y

So original value = 1.3y and final value = y, so the percentage decrease that took place was = (1.3y - y)/1.3y * 100 = 3/13 * 100 = 23% approximately
As you can see, the variable y is eliminated and the answer is independent of the value of y. Here it doesnt matter what the original value of y was.. whether y was 120 or 250 or 34.. the percentage decrease in sugar which took place was 23% only, this is fixed

This is a fantastic explanation, thank you so much! So the key is that we are asked for a percentage decrease, which would be the same regardless of what y would be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 2.85
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
kanusha wrote:

Mean 30% = 0.30

As this is DS question we need not solve for values but still..

Statement 1 : Amount of sugar to be added to get the original quantity = 30%

Let X be the original amount of sugar and Y be the amount after removal.
-> X = Y + 0.3Y
-> X = 1.3 Y

Percent by which the amount of sugar decreased = \(\frac{Sugar Removed}{Sugar Present Initially}*100\) = \(\frac{0.3Y}{1.3Y}*100\) = 23.07 % approx

Sufficient

Statement 2 : We do know 6 cups of sugar was removed , but we do not know the size of the cup or the relation between the cup and the original amount of sugar present

Not Sufficient

Option : A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Percent change is a crucial subject to know for the GMAT, and this question offers a lot of good learning opportunities.

Here's an explanation on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1jLoBu ... E49y4ykEnU

The answer is (A)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts