Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [16]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before [#permalink]
I got C because I felt that it was an issue of parallelism between "began" and "hoped". "Hoped" was past tense so "began" should have been as well.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Originally posted by brettbrettbrettcom on 26 Aug 2017, 19:24.
Last edited by brettbrettbrettcom on 26 Aug 2017, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Re: Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before [#permalink]
Kudos
pushpitkc wrote:
Hi Chembeti,

A. Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain begins.
B. Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain would begin.
C. Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain began.
D. While running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain begins. - Meaning change
E. While running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain would begin. - Meaning change

I think the reason C is correct is when she is running and hoping that she gets into the car,
the rain has not started. Therefore, the rain began seems to be the correct choice to word in this case.

pushpitkc how does while running changes the meaning???

while denotes simultaneous action or comparison,,,,correct???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before [#permalink]
Kudos
This is similar to the sentence - I wish I were the King. Aisha hoped ....... began.

I think the reason C is correct is when she is running and hoping that she gets into the car,
the rain has not started. Therefore, the rain began seems to be the correct choice to word in this case.[/quote]

For something that is supposed to happen in the future is it proper to use the term began?

It began raining before we could step out.
He began to argue before I could explain myself.
He began eating before the Grace was said.[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain begins. When she found the doors locked and saw her keys lying on the front seat, she knew that she was in for a soaking.

A. Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain begins.
B. Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain would begin.
C. Running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain began.
D. While running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain begins.
E. While running through the parking lot, Aisha hoped to get to her car before the rain would begin.

Only in choice C is the does the sequence of events align. "Aisha hoped" is in the past tense and only "rain began" can make the sentence correct. Moreover, in option A, B, D & E the running and while running are not as big a concern as the tense of "begin" is.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts