Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:55 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:55
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644343 [42]
Given Kudos: 86771
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [30]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [7]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Supply Chain Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost equally. Wh [#permalink]
Kudos
S(1): No information about the $ rate of either weeks. Hence no way to determine exact value. Hence Not Sufficient

S(2): lets assume total cost is 12x. The initially in the group of 3 the cost to each is 4x. Now with addition of 4th friend cost of each friend is equal to 3x. Hence x=15. Total cost=180$. Hence Sufficient.

Answer is B.

Note that we do not need to calculate the answer. looking at B we should realize that we will end up with a equation with 1 variable only. Hence we will definitely get 1 answer only and thus B is sufficient. Working out the exact solution is not required.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [6]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost equally. Wh [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Word Problems.

Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost equally. What was the total cost of renting the car ?

(1) If the three friends had kept the car for a second week, they could have obtained the two-week rate, which was 1.5 times the cost of a one-week rental.
(2) If a fourth friend had joined the three friends and the cost had been divided equally among the four friends, the cost to each of the original three would have been reduced by $15 ?

Kudos for a correct solution.

St-1. Let the cost of rental for one week be X. Then for two weeks it is 1.5X. No amount details any where so not sufficient
St-2. Let X be the cost of rental. Then \(\frac{X}{3}\) - \(\frac{X}{4}\) = 15. X can be calculated. Sufficient

Ans - B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [2]
Given Kudos: 141
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Word Problems.

Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost equally. What was the total cost of renting the car ?

(1) If the three friends had kept the car for a second week, they could have obtained the two-week rate, which was 1.5 times the cost of a one-week rental.
(2) If a fourth friend had joined the three friends and the cost had been divided equally among the four friends, the cost to each of the original three would have been reduced by $15 ?

Kudos for a correct solution.

We need to find T = A+B+C; since A=B=C T=3A =>T/3 = A

1) no $ value provided - Not sufficient
2) from this t/4 = A and t/3-t/4 = $15 Solving this will give t= $180 - Sufficient

Ans B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3411 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos