GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 02:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To allow a supercomputer to function as efficiently as possible, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
To allow a supercomputer to function as efficiently as possible, the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 11:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (02:01) correct 46% (02:50) wrong based on 538 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To allow a supercomputer to function as efficiently as possible, the positioning of the internal components has to be planned so that any combination of departure point and arrival point is connected through the shortest possible route, allowing the data to travel through the system as quickly as possible. Supercomputers are designed with a primary information route which transports the bulk of the information through the system. Because this primary route is prone to data congestion, while designing a new supercomputer circuit, a computer manufacturing company has developed a plan to improve efficiency by introducing two additional primary information routes, instead of the standard single primary route, allowing the communication load to be shared.

Which of the following would be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the plan developed by the computer manufacturer?

A. Whether the addition of another two primary information routes will lead to a dramatic rise in the retail price of supercomputers produced by the manufacturer

B. Whether the time it takes data to travel through a system with three primary information routes is three times faster than the time it takes the same amount of data to travel the same distance in a system with only one primary information route

C. Whether producing the improved circuit will take significantly longer than producing a circuit with only one primary information route

D. Whether the time needed for a single data message to be transferred using a system with a single primary information route is shorter than the time needed for the same data message to be transferred using a system with a triple primary information route

E. Whether the process of the assignment of data to the appropriate primary information route will constitute a significant added delay

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: To allow a supercomputer to function as efficiently as possible, the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 11:05
reto wrote:
To allow a supercomputer to function as efficiently as possible, the positioning of the internal components has to be planned so that any combination of departure point and arrival point is connected through the shortest possible route, allowing the data to travel through the system as quickly as possible. Supercomputers are designed with a primary information route which transports the bulk of the information through the system. Because this primary route is prone to data congestion, while designing a new supercomputer circuit, a computer manufacturing company has developed a plan to improve efficiency by introducing two additional primary information routes, instead of the standard single primary route, allowing the communication load to be shared.

Which of the following would be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the plan developed by the computer manufacturer?

A. Whether the addition of another two primary information routes will lead to a dramatic rise in the retail price of supercomputers produced by the manufacturer

B. Whether the time it takes data to travel through a system with three primary information routes is three times faster than the time it takes the same amount of data to travel the same distance in a system with only one primary information route

C. Whether producing the improved circuit will take significantly longer than producing a circuit with only one primary information route

D. Whether the time needed for a single data message to be transferred using a system with a single primary information route is shorter than the time needed for the same data message to be transferred using a system with a triple primary information route

E. Whether the process of the assignment of data to the appropriate primary information route will constitute a significant added delay

Dear reto,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Frankly, I think this is a very poor question. The prompt is not well written: the final sentence of the prompt is grammatically a disaster. That sentence would never fly on the GMAT SC. This adds to the difficulty of the prompt, which is already about a subject a bit more technical that the GMAT tends to treat.

Now, having waded through this prompt, which answer is more pertinent to evaluate the argument? Well, (A) & (C) are clearly out. Choice (A) is very easy to eliminate. I like choice (C), conflating computing time with production time: this might be my favorite part of this question.

In my reading (B) & (D) & (E) are all highly pertinent. Perhaps there is some technical reason why (E) is most pertinent, but there is nothing about (B) or (D) that would make it definitely wrong except maybe by comparison with (E).

This question is not at all in the spirit of the GMAT CR. It has, in (A), a pathetically easy choice to eliminate, and in (B) & (D) it has "incorrect" choices that could be substantially correct on their own. This is NOT what the GMAT does. The GMAT will have four incorrect answers, each of which is different, each of which gets eliminated for a different reason on its own. A wrong answer on the GMAT is wrong on its own terms.

If you found this question challenging, it's not because of your lack of understanding; instead, it is entirely because the question is poorly conceived and written.

Here is a high quality practice GMAT CR question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3799

Does all this make sense?
Mike

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: To allow a supercomputer to function as efficiently as possible, the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 12:42
reto wrote:

I think B and D can be eliminated on the basis that, the statement already says ''the two additional routes allows the communication load to be shared", hence it implies that the new design is going to be faster than the single route design. (This is kind of given in the statement)

But if E can be established, then we can find if the new design is efficient.

Hence Option E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 14:48
Can someone help me with B and D ,though E looks the best.What exactly is wrong with B and D?

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 18:08
samichange wrote:
Can someone help me with B and D ,though E looks the best.What exactly is wrong with B and D?

Dear samichange,
As I noted in my response above, I think this is a poor question. You can read my argument above. My friend, I would recommend not wasting mental energy on poor questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
To allow a supercomputer to function as efficiently as possible, the p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 22:23
The plan is to add two additional primary information routes. The goal is to improve efficiency. So the assumption is that three primary information routes will reduce data congestion by load sharing, improving the efficiency. "D" talks about a single data message while the argument already states that a bulk of information leads to data congestion. Hence whatever is applicable for a single data message may not be applicable for bulk. If the process of assigning data to a primary information route causes significant delay then there is no point in constructing additional routes. If there is no delay then it makes sense to have additional routes which would eventually enhance efficiency.Hence "E" is the answer.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 04:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: To allow a supercomputer to function as efficiently as possible, the &nbs [#permalink] 03 Oct 2018, 04:03

To allow a supercomputer to function as efficiently as possible, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap