GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     November 18, 2018

     November 18, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 419
To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2014, 08:41
3
14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:01) correct 29% (02:14) wrong based on 557 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest quality and most expensive ingredients, and the optimization of the complex heating and cooling process known as tempering, are both imperative factors. Chocolatier Q makes the most exceptional chocolate on the market although her production costs are lower than any in the industry. The ingredients and tempering process account for 90% of the expenses of chocolate production. The other 10% is spent on packaging done by an external company that provides the same service to all the chocolatiers in the industry, and at the same price.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?

A) Errors in the tempering process can result in the chocolate not reaching its correct solidified state.
B) Q's production costs can amount to almost 90% less than those spent by other chocolatiers in the industry.
C) Chocolatier Q cuts her costs by using a slightly lower grade of one of her ingredients while compensating for this with the highest standard for all the others.
D) Chocolatier Q enjoys a lower price for the packaging process.
E) Chocolatier Q has the most efficient tempering process of any chocolatier in the industry.

OE:
Q uses the most expensive materials and pays the same price for the package as other chocolatiers do. However, she still boasts the lowest total costs so the secret must be in the only remaining factor - her tempering process, which is the most efficient (and therefore cheap).
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2012
Posts: 284
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 09:37
5
gmatter0913 wrote:
I don't think the premise says that Chocolatier Q uses the most expensive ingredients.


To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest quality and most expensive ingredients, and the optimization of the complex heating and cooling process known as tempering, are both imperative factors.

Since Chocolatier Q produces most exceptional chocolate - it must be using highest quality and most expensive ingredients.
_________________

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire


Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 290
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 02:41
I don't think the premise says that Chocolatier Q uses the most expensive ingredients.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 36
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2014, 09:59
My take:

A) Errors in the tempering process can result in the chocolate not reaching its correct solidified state.
The passage does not discuss anything about the errors (Out of scope)
B) Q's production costs can amount to almost 90% less than those spent by other chocolatiers in the industry.
No information to prove this. Q spends 90 % on ingredients & tempering and the production costs are less than those for other manufacturers. => the production costs of Q can be 10 % less than other's costs or 20 % less or 90 % less
C) Chocolatier Q cuts her costs by using a slightly lower grade of one of her ingredients while compensating for this with the highest standard for all the others.
Again Out of scope. No info to support this
D) Chocolatier Q enjoys a lower price for the packaging process.
Contradicts the last statement. Packaging costs are equal for all
E) Chocolatier Q has the most efficient tempering process of any chocolatier in the industry.
Bingo! Q spends less than any other chocolatier on production and her chocolates are exceptional. So Q is more efficient in producing exceptional chocolates than her competitors
_________________

I'm on 680... 20 days to reach 700 +

Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 1053
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 10:36
1
To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest quality and most expensive ingredients, and the optimization of the complex heating and cooling process known as tempering, are both imperative factors. Chocolatier Q makes the most exceptional chocolate on the market although her production costs are lower than any in the industry. The ingredients and tempering process account for 90% of the expenses of chocolate production. The other 10% is spent on packaging done by an external company that provides the same service to all the chocolatiers in the industry, and at the same price.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?

A) Errors in the tempering process can result in the chocolate not reaching its correct solidified state.
Solidified state is not discussed.

B) Q's production costs can amount to almost 90% less than those spent by other chocolatiers in the industry.
there is no evidence given in argument for this.

C) Chocolatier Q cuts her costs by using a slightly lower grade of one of her ingredients while compensating for this with the highest standard for all the others.
Q make the most exceptional chocolate on the market. for such a choclate lower grade of ingredient won't work.

D) Chocolatier Q enjoys a lower price for the packaging process.
Packaging is done by other company at the same price.

E) Chocolatier Q has the most efficient tempering process of any chocolatier in the industry.
The most exceptional chocolate maker should have the most efficient tempering process. because it is one of the process to must have at its best.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2645
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 18:48
goodyear2013 wrote:
To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest quality and most expensive ingredients, and the optimization of the complex heating and cooling process known as tempering, are both imperative factors. Chocolatier Q makes the most exceptional chocolate on the market although her production costs are lower than any in the industry. The ingredients and tempering process account for 90% of the expenses of chocolate production. The other 10% is spent on packaging done by an external company that provides the same service to all the chocolatiers in the industry, and at the same price.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?

A) Errors in the tempering process can result in the chocolate not reaching its correct solidified state.
B) Q's production costs can amount to almost 90% less than those spent by other chocolatiers in the industry.
C) Chocolatier Q cuts her costs by using a slightly lower grade of one of her ingredients while compensating for this with the highest standard for all the others.
D) Chocolatier Q enjoys a lower price for the packaging process.
E) Chocolatier Q has the most efficient tempering process of any chocolatier in the industry.


i got to E by POE.

let's build the logical structure:
Exceptional chocolate -> needs highest quality + most expensive ingredients. and tempering.
Q - makes the most exceptional chocolate. - we can assume that Q uses highest quality + most expensive ingredients and uses tempering.
we are told the costs of production are lower than any in the industry. - I dont think Q buys highest quality and most expensive ingredients at cheaper price. and we cannot assume that. we can assume that there is a fair competition, and everyone has the same access to the ingredients.
10% of the costs - packaging. package is the same for all chocolatiers and thus, here there is no competitive advantage.

since package costs the same for everyone, and since ingredients cost the same for everyone, there must be smth with the TEMPERING.
since Q makes the most exceptional chocolate while the ingredients and package is the same as for everyone, we can conclude that Q's tempering process is way better than that of its competitors.

1. irrelevant.
2. we cannot conclude that.
3. no.
4. no, the argument says the packaging process costs the same for everyone.
5. YES!
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Posts: 230
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 20:01
Hi experts,
We are given two imperative factors to produce an exceptional chocolate:the use of highest quality and most expensive ingredients,and the optimization of the complex heating and cooling process known as tampering;how can we deduce that Choc Q has the most efficient tempering process.
It could be that it uses the highest quality ingredient but slightly lower grade of such processes while maintaining its first rank.

Please help
SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1689
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 07:25
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,
We are given two imperative factors to produce an exceptional chocolate:the use of highest quality and most expensive ingredients,and the optimization of the complex heating and cooling process known as tampering;how can we deduce that Choc Q has the most efficient tempering process.
It could be that it uses the highest quality ingredient but slightly lower grade of such processes while maintaining its first rank.

Please help


This is an inference question. Considering the argument is true the correct answer must also be supported by the argument.

A) Errors in the tempering process can result in the chocolate not reaching its correct solidified state. - Incorrect. Not discussed in the argument.

B) Q's production costs can amount to almost 90% less than those spent by other chocolatiers in the industry. - Incorrect. 90% less the spending of other chocolatiers? This option cannot be inferred.

C) Chocolatier Q cuts her costs by using a slightly lower grade of one of her ingredients while compensating for this with the highest standard for all the others. - Incorrect. Lower grade of one of her ingredients may be true but the 2nd part of the option i.e. compensating with the highest standard for others is not inferable.

D) Chocolatier Q enjoys a lower price for the packaging process. - Incorrect. Goes against what is stated in the argument.

E) Chocolatier Q has the most efficient tempering process of any chocolatier in the industry. - Correct. The production cost of chocolate Q is less than the cost incurred by other chocolatiers. Production cost depend on the ingredients and tempering process. So Q has the most efficient tempering process.

Answer: E

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2016
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 540 Q38 V26
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 23:53
Conclude also E, based on what was stated above.

Only addition what I did not find previously:
As one can asssume that the purchasing costs of the ingredients are roughly the same for every vendor, it must depend on the tempering process.

Would you say this is logic w/in GMAT terms or already outside knowledge?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2990
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 23:11
JanGMAC wrote:
Conclude also E, based on what was stated above.

Only addition what I did not find previously:
As one can asssume that the purchasing costs of the ingredients are roughly the same for every vendor, it must depend on the tempering process.

Would you say this is logic w/in GMAT terms or already outside knowledge?


The first line states that "expensive ingredients" are required for producing exceptional chocolate (which Q produces). However Q's production costs ( ingredients and tempering process) is lower than the industry in spite of the fact that its ingredient purchasing cost is high. Therefore it must follow that its tempering costs are low, implying it must have an efficient tempering process. In this argument no external information was used. You probably missed that "expensive ingredients" is mentioned in the first line.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2016
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 540 Q38 V26
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 03:49
sayantanc2k wrote:
JanGMAC wrote:
Conclude also E, based on what was stated above.

Only addition what I did not find previously:
As one can asssume that the purchasing costs of the ingredients are roughly the same for every vendor, it must depend on the tempering process.

Would you say this is logic w/in GMAT terms or already outside knowledge?


The first line states that "expensive ingredients" are required for producing exceptional chocolate (which Q produces). However Q's production costs ( ingredients and tempering process) is lower than the industry in spite of the fact that its ingredient purchasing cost is high. Therefore it must follow that its tempering costs are low, implying it must have an efficient tempering process. In this argument no external information was used. You probably missed that "expensive ingredients" is mentioned in the first line.


I entirely agree with your reasoning. Sorry, I made my question unclear then: Can it be inferred that the "most expensive ingredients" all cost the same for each vendor or would that be out of scope?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2990
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 05:41
1
JanGMAC wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
JanGMAC wrote:
Conclude also E, based on what was stated above.

Only addition what I did not find previously:
As one can asssume that the purchasing costs of the ingredients are roughly the same for every vendor, it must depend on the tempering process.

Would you say this is logic w/in GMAT terms or already outside knowledge?


The first line states that "expensive ingredients" are required for producing exceptional chocolate (which Q produces). However Q's production costs ( ingredients and tempering process) is lower than the industry in spite of the fact that its ingredient purchasing cost is high. Therefore it must follow that its tempering costs are low, implying it must have an efficient tempering process. In this argument no external information was used. You probably missed that "expensive ingredients" is mentioned in the first line.


I entirely agree with your reasoning. Sorry, I made my question unclear then: Can it be inferred that the "most expensive ingredients" all cost the same for each vendor or would that be out of scope?


Chocolatier Q makes the most exceptional chocolate. Therefore the ingredients used by Q would be the most expensive. So the ingredients used by others would be cheaper than (or at the most equal in price with) the ingredients used by Q.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3387
Premium Member
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 03:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest &nbs [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 03:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

To produce an exceptional chocolate, the use of the highest

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.