GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V45
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 05:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:00) correct 57% (01:46) wrong based on 283 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is maybe safer than to invest them, but doing so cannot result in competitive interest levels.

A) To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is maybe safer than to invest them, but doing so

B) Using a savings account to store large funds over a long period of time is perhaps safer than investing them, but it

C) It is maybe safer to store large funds over long time periods in a savings account, but doing so

D) Over a long time period, it is perhaps safer to store large funds in a savings account than to invest them, but doing so

E) To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is possibly safer than to invest them, but it
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 07:24
ssr3110 wrote:
To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is maybe safer than to invest them, but doing so cannot result in competitive interest levels.

A) To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is maybe safer than to invest them, but doing so

B) Using a savings account to store large funds over a long period of time is perhaps safer than investing them, but it

C) It is maybe safer to store large funds over long time periods in a savings account, but doing so

D) Over a long time period, it is perhaps safer to store large funds in a savings account than to invest them, but doing so

E) To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is possibly safer than to invest them, but it

Must be (D) for the highlighted errors in other options....

Analysing option (D) :

Over a long time period, it is perhaps safer to store large funds in a savings account than to invest them, but doing so cannot result in competitive interest levels.

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Reviews Badge
To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 07:57

A) To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is maybe safer than to invest them, but doing so: Over a long period of time modifies on saving funds and not investing them. Incorrect.

B) Using a savings account to store large funds over a long period of time is perhaps safer than investing them, but it: Repeats the error of A, "doing so" is more preferable than "doing it" when referring to an action along with its modifiers and adverbs.

C) It is maybe safer to store large funds over long time periods in a savings account, but doing so: Distorts the meaning completely.

D) Over a long time period, it is perhaps safer to store large funds in a savings account than to invest them, but doing so: "Over a long period of time" correctly modifies both the actions of saving and investing, "doing so" is correctly used. Correct

E) To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is possibly safer than to invest them, but it: "But it" is not preferable, repeats the error of option A.
Retired Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 08:58
A) To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is maybe safer than to invest them, but doing so - maybe safer is an odd way to say than perhaps safer.

B) Using a savings account to store large funds over a long period of time is perhaps safer than investing them, but it - doing so is better than it.

C) It is maybe safer to store large funds over long time periods in a savings account, but doing so - maybe safer is an odd way to say than perhaps safer.

D) Over a long time period, it is perhaps safer to store large funds in a savings account than to invest them, but doing so - Correct.

E) To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account is possibly safer than to invest them, but it - doing so is better than it.

Answer D.

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 02:15
IMO
B - Using a savings account - Who is using the A/C and in the latter part it has no antecedent.
C - Maybe is colloquial in GMAT and perhaps is preferred over it.
E - Again it has no antecedent.

The fight was between A and D
A - To store large funds is safer than *TO* invest them
D - It is safer to do X than to Y

D is more apt than A

So should be D.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 08:59
B out as using needs subject

C is changing meaning ,comparison needs to be there

E out because of it after but

Choice between A and D

Time at start is preferable so D is better choice than A

Give kudos if it helps

Posted from my mobile device

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 03:26
A – wrong- ‘over a long period of time’ is modifying ‘saving funds’ and not ‘investing funds’.
B – wrong repeats A’s error
C – wrong – completely changes the meaning
D – right
E – repeats A and B’s error

D is the right option
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 13:28
gmatlover12 wrote:

Why E is incorrect ? Would anyone explain it elaborately ?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 19:28
Experts, please explain in details why E is incorrect and why it can't refer back to subject of first clause and why "doing so" is better than "doing it"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account i   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2019, 19:28

To store large funds over a long period of time in a savings account i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap