Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Short Passagex   Social Sciencex                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [5]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: Two works published in 1984 demonstrate contrasting approaches to writ [#permalink]
junkostem wrote:
infotalk wrote:
81. The passage suggests that Buel and Buel’s biography of Mary Fish provides evidence for which of the following views of women’s history?
(A) Women have lost power in relation to men since the colonial era.
(B) Women of the colonial era were not as likely to be concerned with their status as were women in the nineteenth century.
(C) The colonial era was not as favorable for women as some historians have believed.
(D) Women had more economic autonomy in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century.
(E) Women’s occupations were generally more respected in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century.

Folks,
Need some explanation on this one. I was completely lost in this. Buel made little effort to place her story in context of recent histography. If that is the case, how can we know what evidence it provides on views of womens history.

I could not answer this question at all. Primary reason was I couldnt understand the question itself.

In all the answer choices it talked about womens status. But buel didnt mention anything about this. Now I understand that this is an inference question, but I still need some help in connecting the dots here.

Well, first off try, it's good that you see this question asking you to make an inference based on what's said in the passage.
Now, that does not mean that we need evidence in order to answer this answer.
We need to draw an inference from what's stated in the passage.

Here's the reasoning for Choice C:

"In contrast, Buel and Buel’s biography provides ample raw material for questioning the myth, fostered by some historians, of a colonial golden age in the
eighteenth century but does not give the reader much guidance in analyzing the controversy over women’s status."

When's a time period is described as "Golden Age", the era is thought to be as "very favorable".
Now, "fostered by some historians" = supported by some historians ...
We can rephrase that last sentence as: "B and B's Bio provides ample raw material that goes against the myth, supported by some historians, of a Very Favorable Colonial Time [for women] ... " --- This part is implied towards women of the Colonial Time.

Essentially, that last sentence is rephrased rather fancifully to give the reader a hard time in deciphering its underlying meaning.
When broken down piece-by-piece, Choice C rephrases that last sentence, perfectly.

Hi Junkostem,

The myth of golden age supported by historians could be
(1) Favorable time for women
(2) Not favorable time for women
(3) others

I still don’t understand why “golden age” = “very favorable colonial time for women”

There is nothing mentioned about this, isn’t there?

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Two works published in 1984 demonstrate contrasting approaches to writ [#permalink]
Foi2Evei2 wrote:
junkostem wrote:
infotalk wrote:
81. The passage suggests that Buel and Buel’s biography of Mary Fish provides evidence for which of the following views of women’s history?
(B) Women of the colonial era were not as likely to be concerned with their status as were women in the nineteenth century.
(C) The colonial era was not as favorable for women as some historians have believed.
(D) Women had more economic autonomy in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century.
(E) Women’s occupations were generally more respected in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century.

Folks,
Need some explanation on this one. I was completely lost in this. Buel made little effort to place her story in context of recent histography. If that is the case, how can we know what evidence it provides on views of womens history.

I could not answer this question at all. Primary reason was I couldnt understand the question itself.

In all the answer choices it talked about womens status. But buel didnt mention anything about this. Now I understand that this is an inference question, but I still need some help in connecting the dots here.

Well, first off try, it's good that you see this question asking you to make an inference based on what's said in the passage.
Now, that does not mean that we need evidence in order to answer this answer.
We need to draw an inference from what's stated in the passage.

Here's the reasoning for Choice C:

"In contrast, Buel and Buel’s biography provides ample raw material for questioning the myth, fostered by some historians, of a colonial golden age in the
eighteenth century but does not give the reader much guidance in analyzing the controversy over women’s status."

When's a time period is described as "Golden Age", the era is thought to be as "very favorable".
Now, "fostered by some historians" = supported by some historians ...
We can rephrase that last sentence as: "B and B's Bio provides ample raw material that goes against the myth, supported by some historians, of a Very Favorable Colonial Time [for women] ... " --- This part is implied towards women of the Colonial Time.

Essentially, that last sentence is rephrased rather fancifully to give the reader a hard time in deciphering its underlying meaning.
When broken down piece-by-piece, Choice C rephrases that last sentence, perfectly.

Hi Junkostem,

The myth of golden age supported by historians could be
(1) Favorable time for women
(2) Not favorable time for women
(3) others

I still don’t understand why “golden age” = “very favorable colonial time for women”

There is nothing mentioned about this, isn’t there?

Posted from my mobile device

Actually it is indirectly mentioned.
myth --> myth are general false. myths are held true but actually they are false. you can check dictionary meaning :a widely held but false belief or idea.
golden age--> something positive
myth , golden age --> seems positive but actually was not.

i hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi All,
Mentioning answers for all the questions. Happy to answers follow up questions, if any. Kudos (+1) if it helps !

76. The primary purpose of the passage is to

Pre-think - There's a view on women's history and that is being discussed by using 2 author's

(A) examine two sides of a historiographical debate - The author isn't examining 2 sides of hist. debate. The author is discussing 2 diff works which are related to hist debate i.e. controversary of women's status
(B) call into question an author’s approach to a historiographical debate - Authors approach isn't being question. Descriptive passage
(C) examine one author’s approach to a historiographical debate - 2 authors are discussed
(D) discuss two authors’ works in relationship to a historiographical debate - Correct
(E) explain the prevalent perspective on a historiographical debate - Widely accepted view isn't discussed

77. The author of the passage mentions the supervision of schools primarily in order to

Pre-think - Supervision of school is mentioned to show the example of the frame of reference

(A) remind readers of the role education played in the cultural changes of the nineteenth century in the United States - Irrelevant.
(B) suggest an area in which nineteenth-century American women were relatively free to exercise power - Lebsock is discussing about comparison between 18th and 19th century. The supervision of school is discussed as the role of women getting decreased in 19th century, not the other way around as per this answer choice tells you
(C) provide an example of an occupation for which accurate data about women’s participation are difficult to obtain - Accurate data? Irrelevant
(D) speculate about which occupations were considered suitable for United States women of the nineteenth century -Which occupation is suitable isn't the role. Suitable isn't even the factor i.e. discussed here
(E) illustrate how the answers to questions about women’s status depend on particular contexts - Correct; This is a logic question since it has "in order to" at the last. The author is discussing about the frame of ref. on which womens status depends on i.e. she could be considered rich now bcos more real estate and not before. Supervision of schools is given as an example for this one.

78. With which of the following characterizations of Lebsock’s contribution to the controversy concerning women’s status in the nineteenth-century United States would the author of the passage be most likely to agree?

Pre-think - Inference question. L's contribution for controversy of women's status is that he defines the frame of reference from which the womens status can be viewed

(A) Lebsock has studied women from a formerly neglected region and time period. - No mention about studying women from a formerly neglected region. The author just mentions that its study was comprehensive
(B) Lebsock has demonstrated the importance of frame of reference in answering questions about women’s status. - Correct; L actually demonstrated the imp of framework by taking several examples; The author is discussing about the frame of ref. on which womens status depends on i.e. she could be considered rich now bcos more real estate and not before. Supervision of schools is given as an example for this one.
(C) Lebsock has addressed the controversy by using women’s current status as a frame of reference.- There is still no mentioned that L addressed the controversary. It is mentioned that he assessed.
(D) Lebsock has analyzed statistics about occupations and property that were previously ignored. - Irrelevant
(E) Lebsock has applied recent historiographical methods to the biography of a nineteenth century woman. -
She examines several different aspects of women’s status, helping to refine and resolve the issues. No mention of recent methods.

79. According to the passage, Lebsock’s work differs from Buel and Buel’s work in that Lebsock’s work

Pre-think - It’s a detail question. And the answer is mentioned in the below lines from the passage
Lebsock, meanwhile, attempts not only to write the history of women in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate as to whether women gained or lost status in the nineteenth century as compared with the eighteenth century. Although both books offer the reader the opportunity to assess this controversy regarding women’s status, only Lebsock’s deals with it directly.

(A) uses a large number of primary sources - No mention of large no. of primary resources
(B) ignores issues of women’s legal status - Ignorance isn't talked about
(C) refuses to take a position on women’s status in the eighteenth century - Both are taking position on womens status. No one refused.
(D) addresses larger historiographical issues - L redirect 2 decades of debate. Also, L deals with the controversy of womens status directly which shows that L addresses larger hist. issues than BB
(E) fails to provide sufficient material to support its claims - Lack of material isn’t the difference

80. The passage suggests that Lebsock believes that compared to nineteenth-century American women, eighteenth-century American women were

There are many instances of comparison in the passage. Lets jump right on to the choices.
"She concludes that while women gained autonomy in some areas, especially in the private sphere, they lost it in many aspects of the economic sphere. More importantly, she shows that the debate itself depends on frame of reference: in many respects, women lost power in relation to men, for example, as certain jobs (delivering babies, supervising schools) were taken over by men. Yet women also gained power in comparison with their previous status, owning a higher proportion of real estate, for example."

(A) in many respects less powerful in relation to men - Powerful relation isn't compared
(B) more likely to own real estate - 18th cent. Women were less likely not more
(C) generally more economically independent
"She concludes that while women gained autonomy in some areas, especially in the private sphere, they lost it in many aspects of the economic sphere." This implies that women were more economically independent
(D) more independent in conducting their private lives - 18th cent. Women were less likely not more
(E) less likely to work as school superintendents - 18th cent. Women were more likely not less

Pre-think - Inference question. Points to the last part of the para where colonial era is mentioned.
"Buel and Buel’s biography provides ample raw material for questioning the myth, fostered by some historians, of a colonial golden age in the eighteenth century but does not give the reader much guidance in analyzing the controversy over women’s status."

(A) Women have lost power in relation to men since the colonial era. - Irrelevant
(B) Women of the colonial era were not as likely to be concerned with their status as were women in the nineteenth century.- Irrelevant
(C) The colonial era was not as favorable for women as some historians have believed. - BB provides evidence to raise questions on golden colonial era (golden = irony); Historians support the era (as quotes in the subordinate clause)
(D) Women had more economic autonomy in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century. - Irrelevant
(E) Women’s occupations were generally more respected in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century. - Respect isn’t mentioned
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
mikemcgarry MartyTargetTestPrep @veritaskrishna egmat KarishmaB pls clarify what is wrong about E in Q 3? I really don't get it.
The passage mentions that L applies the controversy in the context of recent historiographical methods.

78. With which of the following characterizations of Lebsock’s contribution to the controversy concerning women’s status in the nineteenth-century United States would the author of the passage be most likely to agree?
(A) Lebsock has studied women from a formerly neglected region and time period.
(B) Lebsock has demonstrated the importance of frame of reference in answering questions about women’s status.
(C) Lebsock has addressed the controversy by using women’s current status as a frame of reference.
(D) Lebsock has analyzed statistics about occupations and property that were previously ignored.
(E) Lebsock has applied recent historiographical methods to the biography of a nineteenthcentury woman.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ag153 wrote:
pls clarify what is wrong about E in Q 3? I really don't get it.
The passage mentions that L applies the controversy in the context of recent historiographical methods.

(B) Lebsock has demonstrated the importance of frame of reference in answering questions about women’s status.
(C) Lebsock has addressed the controversy by using women’s current status as a frame of reference.
(D) Lebsock has analyzed statistics about occupations and property that were previously ignored.
(E) Lebsock has applied recent historiographical methods to the biography of a nineteenthcentury woman.

Hi ag153.

Notice that the passage indicates that Buel and Buel wrote a "biography" but does not say that Lebsock wrote a "biography of a nineteenth century woman," as choice (E) suggests. Rather, the passage says that Lebsock "attempts not only to write the history of women in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate."
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Two works published in 1984 demonstrate contrasting approaches to writ [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep So you mean it is wrong because it is specifying "19th century women" and as per passage Lebsock's writing concerns women of both 18th and 19th. Am I right?

Also is there something wrong the use of 'recent' historigraphical methods in this sentence? Pls explain if yes or no. I saw Chiranjeev's's explanation and he says something is wrong with it though I do not get what is.

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
ag153 wrote:
pls clarify what is wrong about E in Q 3? I really don't get it.

Hi ag153.

Notice that the passage indicates that Buel and Buel wrote a "biography" but does not say that Lebsock wrote a "biography of a nineteenth century woman," as choice (E) suggests. Rather, the passage says that Lebsock "attempts not only to write the history of women in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate."
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Send PM
Two works published in 1984 demonstrate contrasting approaches to writ [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ag153 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep So you mean it is wrong because it is specifying "19th century women" and as per passage Lebsock's writing concerns women of both 18th and 19th. Am I right?

Answer choice (E) says that Lebsock wrote a BIOGRAPHY of A nineteenth century WOMAN.

The passage does not say that Lebsock wrote a biography at all, and it does not say that she wrote about one woman. Rather, it says that she "attempts not only to write the history of WOMEN in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate."

Quote:
Also is there something wrong the use of 'recent' historigraphical methods in this sentence? Pls explain if yes or no. I saw Chiranjeev's's explanation and he says something is wrong with it though I do not get what is.

Notice that the passage does not say that Lebsock used recent historiographical methods. Rather, it says that she "attempts ... to redirect two decades of HISTORIOGRAPHICAL DEBATE."

We have to pay careful attention to details to get RC questions correct.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ok makes sense..
MartyTargetTestPrep Can you pls clarify the meaning of "redirects historiographical debate"
AND
Explain the difference between "redirects two decades historiographical debate" and "redirects TO 2 decades of historiographical debate" ? I think I interpreted the sentence with the latter meaning and hence thought that E is right because by redirecting to the debate, he has applied to the debate. In any case, pls clarify

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
ag153 wrote:

Answer choice (E) says that Lebsock wrote a BIOGRAPHY of A nineteenth century WOMAN.

The passage does not say that Lebsock wrote a biography at all, and it does not say that she wrote about one woman. Rather, it says that she "attempts not only to write the history of WOMEN in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate."

Quote:

Notice that the passage does not say that Lebsock used recent historiographical methods. Rather, it says that she "attempts ... to redirect two decades of HISTORIOGRAPHICAL DEBATE."

We have to pay careful attention to details to get RC questions correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3516
Schools: Ross '24 (M)
Send PM
GMATNinja KarishmaB egmat mikemcgarry
Could you please help clarify the question 3?
I chose A because of the following piece from the passage.
"Lebsock, meanwhile, attempts not only to write the history of women in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate as to whether women gained or lost status in the nineteenth century as compared with the eighteenth century."
I thought that this piece "not only to write the history of women in one southern community" is trying to imply that she also studied women from a formerly neglected region and time period.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep - could you please clarify what is wrong about (C) in Q3?

The passage mentions

Quote:
...Buel and Buel’s biography of Mary Fish (1736–1818) makes little effort to place Mary Fish's story in the context of recent historiography on women....

So my inference was --- well -- Lebsock does not make that mistake. Lebstock DOES PLACE women in the context of recent historiography.

Thus i chose (C) For q3

On the other hand , I thought (B) for q3 was wrong because I dont believe Lebsock has 'DEMONSTRATED THE IMPORTANCE ' of a Frame of reference.

All Lebsock has done is MENTION the concept of a frame of reference when discussing women’s status.

'Demonstrate the importance' -- would require for Lebstock to be a lot more foreceful
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 3

krittapat wrote:
GMATNinja KarishmaB egmat mikemcgarry
Could you please help clarify the question 3?
I chose A because of the following piece from the passage.
"Lebsock, meanwhile, attempts not only to write the history of women in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate as to whether women gained or lost status in the nineteenth century as compared with the eighteenth century."
I thought that this piece "not only to write the history of women in one southern community" is trying to imply that she also studied women from a formerly neglected region and time period.

The author does specify that Lebsock writes about "women in one southern community," but never implies that the study of this region/time period was "formerly neglected." In fact, by saying that Lebsock was able to "redirect two decades of historiographical debate" concerning the women of the time period, the author implies that this was NOT a neglected area of study.

Because we don't know whether the author would agree that the region and time period in Lebsock's work was formerly neglected, we can eliminate (A) for question 3.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
KarishmaB

If you have time to respond, I trust that you will show me the light, as always :)

1. For question #550 (the primary purpose of the passage is to), for Choice D what does "in relationship to a historiographical debate" mean in layman terms? Is this just trying discuss how they approach the debate over women's status?

2. Would you also be able to go over #553 (according to the passage, Lebsock's work differs from Buel and Buel's work in that Lebsock's work).... for the correct answer Choice D, is the support for this answer in the passage as follows --> "She examines several different aspects of women's status, helping to refine and resolve the issues" ?

3. Last question, why is Choice A incorrect in #554 (The passage suggests that Lebsock believes that compared to nineteenth-century American women, eighteenth-century American women were)?

Thank you!!

MartyTargetTestPrep
I would be so appreciative if you could weigh in.

Originally posted by woohoo921 on 17 Jun 2022, 19:50.
Last edited by woohoo921 on 21 Jul 2022, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GPA: 4
Send PM
nitya34 wrote:
Two works published in 1984 demonstrate contrasting approaches to writing the history of United States women. Buel and Buel’s biography of Mary Fish (1736–1818) makes little effort to place her story in the context of recent historiography on women. Lebsock, meanwhile, attempts not only to write the history of women in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate as to whether women gained or lost status in the nineteenth century as compared with the eighteenth century. Although both books offer the reader the opportunity to assess this controversy regarding women’s status, only Lebsock’s deals with it directly. She examines several different aspects of women’s status, helping to refine and resolve the issues. She concludes that while women gained autonomy in some areas, especially in the private sphere, they lost it in many aspects of the economic sphere. More importantly, she shows that the debate itself depends on frame of reference: in many respects, women lost power in relation to men, for example, as certain jobs (delivering babies, supervising schools) were taken over by men. Yet women also gained power in comparison with their previous status, owning a higher proportion of real estate, for example. In contrast, Buel and Buel’s biography provides ample raw material for questioning the myth, fostered by some historians, of a colonial golden age in the eighteenth century but does not give the reader much guidance in analyzing the controversy over women’s status.

76. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) examine two sides of a historiographical debate
(B) call into question an author’s approach to a historiographical debate
(C) examine one author’s approach to a historiographical debate
(D) discuss two authors’ works in relationship to a historiographical debate
(E) explain the prevalent perspective on a historiographical debate

77. The author of the passage mentions the supervision of schools primarily in order to
(A) remind readers of the role education played in the cultural changes of the nineteenth century in the United States
(B) suggest an area in which nineteenth-century American women were relatively free to exercise power
(C) provide an example of an occupation for which accurate data about women’s participation are difficult to obtain
(D) speculate about which occupations were considered suitable for United States women of the nineteenth century
(E) illustrate how the answers to questions about women’s status depend on particular contexts

79. According to the passage, Lebsock’s work differs from Buel and Buel’s work in that Lebsock’s work
(A) uses a large number of primary sources
(B) ignores issues of women’s legal status
(C) refuses to take a position on women’s status in the eighteenth century
(D) addresses larger historiographical issues
(E) fails to provide suffi cient material to support its claims

80. The passage suggests that Lebsock believes that compared to nineteenth-century American women, eighteenth-century American women were
(A) in many respects less powerful in relation to men
(B) more likely to own real estate
(C) generally more economically independent
(D) more independent in conducting their private lives
(E) less likely to work as school superintendents

RC00109-01
RC00109-02
RC00109-03
RC00109-04
RC00109-05
RC00109-06

Isn't the phrase "Buel & Buel’s biography of Mary Fish" in line 3 requires "make" instead of "makes"?
Please correct my mistake.
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PranjalJ wrote:
Isn't the phrase "Buel & Buel’s biography of Mary Fish" in line 3 requires "make" instead of "makes"?

The subject of the clause is the singular "Buel and Buel’s biography of Mary Fish," not "Buel and Buel."

So, the sentence says, essentially, "biography makes," which we can see is correct.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PranjalJ wrote:

Here's a similar example:

"Ted and Reed's relationship is tenuous."

There's only one relationship here, so we need a singular verb ("is"). That singular subject is modified by a plural possessive ("Ted and Reed's"), indicating whose relationship we're talking about. But that plural possessive doesn't change the fact that "relationship" is singular.

Back to line 3. As Marty mentioned, the simple subject is "biography" -- a singular noun that gets a singular verb ("makes"). "Buel & Buel's" and "of Mary Fish" are just modifiers that have no impact on the number (singular vs. plural) of the subject.

It's also worth noting that RC passages sometimes include sentences that probably wouldn't fly as correct answers on SC. RC is hard enough on its own, so unless it somehow affects the meaning, you probably don't want to worry about grammar too much while reading the passages. :)

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
HI mikemcgarry, GMATNinja

According to the passage, Lebsock’s work differs from Buel and Buel’s work in that Lebsock’s work
(A) uses a large number of primary sources
(B) ignores issues of women’s legal status
(C) refuses to take a position on women’s status in the eighteenth century
(D) addresses larger historiographical issues
(E) fails to provide sufficient material to support its claims

OA is D why not E?

Dear NandishSS,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The passage clearly says: "Buel and Buel’s biography of Mary Fish (1736–1818) makes little effort to place her story in the context of recent historiography on women. Lebsock, meanwhile, attempts not only to write the history of women in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate . . . " Thus, Lebsock is dealing with the modern historiographical debate, whereas Buel and Buel seemed to avoid that entirely. This is a big difference, and (D) summarizes this.

The passage also says, "Buel and Buel’s biography provides ample raw material for questioning the myth, fostered by some historians, of a colonial golden age in the eighteenth century" --therefore, Buel and Buel provided at least some material to support their claim. Was it "sufficient" material to support their claim? That's unclear, but certainly the author makes no claim one way or the other on this point. (E) is not supported.

Always remember that a person was writing this passage, and this person had opinions. The GMAT is always interested in those opinions. Right at the beginning, the author sets up this strong P vs. Q contrast between the two works. Furthermore, the language "makes little effort" is about as strong and emphatic as academic writing gets! The author is clearly showing an opinion here, and that's what the question is getting at.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi mikemcgarry,

I understood the context of the passage that B & B's has not discussed as many issues as discussed by Lebsock's.

D options says "Lebsock's addresses larger historiographical issues". I believe it should be "Lebsock's addresses more historiographical issues"
Reasoning for the same: Nowhere in the passage the intensity of issues has been discussed i.e. which one is larger or smaller, only it has been discussed that Lebsock's covered more issues as compared to B&B's.

My doubt may sound silly but Please I really need your help in order to correct my flawed understanding.

Thank you.

If any other expert wants to share his/her views over the same then please please go ahead GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Can someone help me with Q78? Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts