Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 16:33 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 16:33
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644159 [12]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644159 [0]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
Send PM
Re: V01-30 [#permalink]
I don’t understand why D is incorrect
If salmon leave without sufficiently feeding on insects, won’t they reduce their nutrition and die out?
It is unclear whether the purpose of feeding is to reduce number of insects or to get enough food

I was confused between C and D. I reasoned that in c, butterflies will still be able to hatch caterpillars and metamorpihize into butterflies at the same rate as before, it just won’t increase. So there will not be any extinction.

Please let me know if this is a valid thought process or if I’m missing something

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel sayantanc2k

Option A - Squirrel and chipmunk species are unable either to consume or (unable) to store all the nuts and berries produced during a longer growing season.

Since they are unable to store during longer season won't it affect them that at some point in time since there is no food available, they will die of hunger?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [1]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
Bunuel sayantanc2k

Option A - Squirrel and chipmunk species are unable either to consume or (unable) to store all the nuts and berries produced during a longer growing season.

Since they are unable to store during longer season won't it affect them that at some point in time since there is no food available, they will die of hunger?

Hi. Happy to address.

The short answer is that this information is not supporting the argument. T even opposite, this choice implies there will more food available, so much more that it won’t be collected or consumed.

The long answer is that no one knows how many nuts or berries are produced in the regular season in the entire universe or how many are needed or consumed. The squirrels and chipmunks are definitely not able to consume or store all millions of tons.

Let’s imagine that in a certain area, on a certain continent in a regular summer, 3,000,000,000,000 tons of berries and nuts, a grown. Let’s imagine if the summer season is longer, and for some reason, chipmunks and squirrels are not able to store or preserve this entire crop. We don’t know if they’re not able to store one percent or 99%. Similarly, if the growing season is longer, it almost seems like they should be able to store or consume more but again that’s completely irrelevant, in this case Since it is not adversely affecting them. This information does not really help us answer the question of extinction.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Kudos
Hiral777 wrote:
If salmon leave without sufficiently feeding on insects, won’t they reduce their nutrition and die out?
It is unclear whether the purpose of feeding is to reduce number of insects or to get enough food

I was confused between C and D. I reasoned that in c, butterflies will still be able to hatch caterpillars and metamorpihize into butterflies at the same rate as before, it just won’t increase. So there will not be any extinction.

Please let me know if this is a valid thought process or if I’m missing something

I had the same doubt earlier on these 2 choices.
After a closer look at c, "bird species have hatched their young, which feed exclusively on caterpillars." This implies that the birds' young will have nothing to eat since they feed exclusively on caterpillars which fly away earlier now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RuoChen wrote:
Hiral777 wrote:

I had the same doubt earlier on these 2 choices.
After a closer look at c, "bird species have hatched their young, which feed exclusively on caterpillars." This implies that the birds' young will have nothing to eat since they feed exclusively on caterpillars which fly away earlier now.

­
Hi. I will be happy to work on improving the explanation of this question. To answer existing questions about answer choices. Here is why D is wrong: 

D) Salmon species that rely on changes in temperature to signal the start of annual migrations leave their freshwater birthplaces earlier, before they have fed sufficiently on freshwater insects to reduce their number.

This option illustrates a disruption in the salmon's lifecycle due to changes in migration timing. While it suggests or hints at potential problems for salmon growth and development as the result of the disruption, it doesn't directly tie how this could lead to their extinction. All we know is that Salmon leave early but we don't know if it is good, bad, or irrelevant. Moreover, the statement about not feeding sufficiently on insects actually points to an ecological imbalance impacting insects, rather than the salmon. So this choice runs around the argument but does not really touch it

­
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply

BabitaLakhlan wrote:
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Thanks for the question BabitaLakhlan - ­I have updated all of the explanations to add more logical reasoning and motivations for correct/incorrect judgement. Additional tips would be required for further elaboration. 

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
94619 posts
Founder
37900 posts