GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When girls are educated in single-sex secondary schools

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Reviews Badge
When girls are educated in single-sex secondary schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 23:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:37) correct 21% (02:07) wrong based on 116 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When girls are educated in single-sex secondary schools, they tend to do better academically than girls who attend mixed-sex schools. Since Alice achieved higher grades than any other woman in her first year at the university, she was probably educated at a single-sex school.

Which one of the following most closely parallels the flawed reasoning used in the argument above?

(A) When students have individual tutoring in math, they usually get good grades on their final exams. Celia had individual tutoring in math so she will probably get a good grade.
(B) When babies are taught to swim, they have more than the average number of ear infections as they grow up. Janice has more ear infections than any other person at the local swimming club, so she probably was taught to swim when she was a baby.
(C) When children study music at an early age, they later tend to appreciate a wide variety of music, so the talent of future musicians is best fostered at an early age.
(D) When children practice their piano scales for half an hour each day, they usually pass their piano exams. Sally practices scales for less than half an hour each day, so she will probably fail her piano exam.
(E) When children have parents who help them with their homework, they usually do well in school. Therefore, having help with homework is probably the cause of high academic achievement.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
When girls are educated in single-sex secondary schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 14:11
Answer is B.

The reasoning here is since x achieved/showed y, and since z also achieved/showed y, therefore leap of logic: z is a subset of x, with no clarification that only one group x achieve or display y.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: When girls are educated in single-sex secondary schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 17:58
Bumping for further discussion

My CR Guide: Here
My RC Guide: Here
Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here
Want to know your Business School chances? Go: Here
Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
GMAT Club Bot
Re: When girls are educated in single-sex secondary schools   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2019, 17:58

When girls are educated in single-sex secondary schools

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics