Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [20]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: When soil is plowed in the spring, pigweed seeds that have been buried [#permalink]
My explaination goes like this. Please correct me as I got OA wrong.

(E) All of the pigweed seeds that are already on the surface of the soil before the field is plowed will germinate.
Extreme language and irrelavent --eliminate

(D) The pigweed seeds that are churned up to the surface of the soil during the plowing will not germinate unless they are redeposited under the surface of the soil.
This one actually makes sense to me and I marked this one as correct. Reason: in the stimulus, focus on the line "The brief exposure of the seeds to sunlight stimulates receptors". Which means that the seeds have to be redeposited under the soil to make germination work. D perfectly captures this point.

(C) Fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is plowed just before sunrise than if it is plowed just after sunset.
Eliminate : Time is irrelavent here because at whatever time seeds are ploughed, they will eventually get the sunlight as and when the sun rise.
I believe that the point here is that whether they are redeposited after a BRIEF EXPOSURE to sunlight or not.

(B) Fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is not plowed at all than if it is plowed only at night.
Eliminate: If seeds are not plowed AT ALL, how will they be able to capture sunlight? Hence, receptors will not be stimulated and germination will not happen

(A) Fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is plowed only at night than if it is plowed during the day.
Eliminate : Time is irrelavent here. Same reasoning as C. :roll: but this one is correct.

Help me out guys.

Thanks
-V
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Send PM
Re: When soil is plowed in the spring, pigweed seeds that have been buried [#permalink]
vineet474 wrote:

(D) The pigweed seeds that are churned up to the surface of the soil during the plowing will not germinate unless they are redeposited under the surface of the soil.

This one actually makes sense to me and I marked this one as correct. Reason: in the stimulus, focus on the line "The brief exposure of the seeds to sunlight stimulates receptors". Which means that the seeds have to be redeposited under the soil to make germination work. D perfectly captures this point.

yah after re-reading, choice (D) does sound like a contender...however, read this part very carefully --
"pigweed seeds that have been buried in the soil all winter are churned up to the surface and redeposited just under the surface"

see if you catch the point
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
Kudos
IMO B.
germination, to the best of my knowledge doesn't happen overnight and there is no evidence in the passage that it does. so plowing at night or day does not make a difference. so A and C are out.
E is completely irrelevant.
D. there is no evidence that direct sunlight actually harms the germination process.
Take B. it says if field is not plowed it will have less germination than when it is plowed at night. now take the "at night" part out. the sentence says the field will have germination if it is plowed and no germination if it is not plowed. perfectly right. there is evidence. hence B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
gtr022001 wrote:
vineet474 wrote:

yah after re-reading, choice (D) does sound like a contender...however, read this part very carefully --
"pigweed seeds that have been buried in the soil all winter are churned up to the surface and redeposited just under the surface"

see if you catch the point

Thanks for showing your interest bro, but I am still not able to catch the point. :| How can "ALL WINTER" make a difference here ? Please explain.

-V
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 8.7
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Send PM