Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [11]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
GPA: 4.0
WE 3: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [2]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3947 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials estimated they [#permalink]
+1 E

Elegant question. I think that this is the type of question you will see in the current real GMAT. Do you agree Brian?
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials estimated they [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey Metallica,

Yes, I do agree - a few things that I think make this a pretty good GMAT-worthy question (not to say that others on here aren't! I think there are a ton of great questions to study from on here, obviously) are:

-The use of the tricky-plural word "apparatus"...it makes most of us feel uncomfortable, but it's not a decision point here so it doesn't even have a chance to matter. But its awkward presence makes the sentence not "sound right" in any form, making decisions tougher.

-The singular/plural Pronoun decision point in A, B, and C helps to eliminate C, but D and E don't use a pronoun...in this way, they can "throw you off the scent" of what's really important here. Most GMAT questions will involve more than one decision.

This one definitely has that feel to it that you won't be fully satisfied with the correct answer in that "that's exactly how I would have written it!" way, but systematic analysis of the question should lead you to the right answer, regardless.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
When I read this statement, I immediately narrowed down to between C and E as estimated requires that. However, E seemed better choice as it eliminated the use of "it" altogether. However, why is "it" wrong there? can someone please explain that to me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE:Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Is they supposed to be underlined in this sentence because, " When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials estimated they that 200 additional polling apparatus would be needed."

Which sounds wrong. But, if they is supposed to be underlined I am in agreement with all of the above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Could anybody explain me what is wrong with option D apart from wordiness?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Sloan '24
Send PM
could you clarify Why is "A" wrong ?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts