Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 22:27 It is currently 09 May 2024, 22:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1902 [27]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1902 [0]
Send PM
Re: Yesterday, Nan parked her car at a certain parking garage [#permalink]
Hi Alex,

The OA given is A. Here's the reasoning the OG gave:

Statement (1) gives the charge for the first hour and for subsequent hours. From this information, together with the total charge that is given, the number of hours after the first hour can be computed.

Now I have misgivings about the explanation here. The question obviously stated this: "parking charges at the garage are 75 cents for the first hour and 50 cents for each additional hour or fraction of an hour".
What the explanation does is to ignore the last phrase "faction of an hour"
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1902 [0]
Send PM
To elaborate a bit more:

$0.75 - hour 1
So $3.75-$0.75 = $3.00

If the question has stated only this : "$0.50 for subsequent hours", then we're pretty fine. All we need to do is to divide $3.00 by $0.50 to find out how many hours she has parked at the garage after the first hour.

However, the statement says it's $0.50 for each additional hour or fraction of an hour"

Now we can have a number of possibilites:

Parked 6 hours - $3.00
Parked 5.5 hours - $3.00
Parked 5.75 hours - $3.00
and so on...
So we can't really tell how many more hours she actually parked her car at the garage.

It's scary that even OGs might make mistakes. If that happens on an actual GMAT, I think I'll be pretty mad.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Alex is right. ETS goes to great lengths to avoid ambiguity in questions. The stimulus states explicitly "for how many hours of parking was she charged" A is the answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 993 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Bunuel
Hello Sir
(1) Parking charges at the garage are $0.75 for the first hour and $0.50 for each additional hour or fraction of an hour.
I was confused by the words "fraction of an hour". Ideally this sentence can mean "for each additional hour" or for each fraction of an hour which can be 1/2,1,4 etc. What am I missing?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622520 [1]
Given Kudos: 81810
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheNightKing wrote:
Bunuel
Hello Sir
(1) Parking charges at the garage are $0.75 for the first hour and $0.50 for each additional hour or fraction of an hour.
I was confused by the words "fraction of an hour". Ideally this sentence can mean "for each additional hour" or for each fraction of an hour which can be 1/2,1,4 etc. What am I missing?

"Parking charges at the garage are $0.75 for the first hour and $0.50 for each additional hour or fraction of an hour" means that the parking time will be rounded up to the whole hour. For example:
If Nan parked a car for 3/4 hours, she would be charged for 1 whole hour = $0.75
If Nan parked a car for 1 1/4 hours, she would be charged for 2 whole hours = $0.75 + $0.50.
If Nan parked a car for 10 8/9 hours, she would be charged for 11 whole hours = $0.75 + 10*$0.50.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 993 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Quote:
"Parking charges at the garage are $0.75 for the first hour and $0.50 for each additional hour or fraction of an hour" means that the parking time will be rounded up to the whole hour. For example:
If Nan parked a car for 3/4 hours, she would be charged for 1 whole hour = $0.75
If Nan parked a car for 1 1/4 hours, she would be charged for 2 whole hours = $0.75 + $0.50.
If Nan parked a car for 10 8/9 hours, she would be charged for 11 whole hours = $0.75 + 10*$0.50.

That makes sense!
Good Morning and Thank you!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
OFFICIAL GMAT EXPLANATION

Statement (1) gives the charge for the first hour and for subsequent hours. From this information, together with the total charge that is given, the number of hours after the first hour can be computed. Thus, the answer must be A or D. From statement (2) the charge for the first hour can be determined; however, there is no information about charges after the first hour. Therefore, (2) alone is not sufficient, and the best answer is A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93124 posts