GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

1 month of study, 480 on practice test

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
1 month of study, 480 on practice test  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 11:41
Hi, I am very sad and disappointed on my test score. I am currently working in investment banking and have worked tremendously hard around my schedule to be able to study +2 hours a day and ~8 hours on weekends. After a month of this, I decided to do a practice test today and scored 480. I feel extremely disappointed. I was aiming to apply to grad school first or second round but now I see my goal of scoring +700 unreachable. Ive heard no one has increased their scores more than 200 points. I think my dream of getting into an Ivy League is now just impossible.. any advice?
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
1 month of study, 480 on practice test  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 12:11
Hey asimba7

First off, Welcome to GMATClub!

Don't let one small mock ruin your plan for this test. You have a good 4-5 months to
take the test and improve your score to 700+. As far as the GMAT is concerned, it
makes sense to first clear your concepts for every topic and then follow it up with some
practice.

Verbal Section Prep
You could use the PowerScore CR bible in order to get a basic understanding of how
the CR section works. You could use the Manhattan Strategy guides to improve your
understanding of SC.

For RC, you could refer to the below-given link
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

Quant Section Prep
Follow Bunuel. Solve all the questions in his signature. They contain some awesome questions
that give you the true taste of GMAT(Baker's Dozen, 12 Easy Pieces etc..)
Even otherwise, make sure you solve each and every question he puts up on the forum. You
could subscribe to the GMATPrep tests during the last leg of your preparation. It will give you
the much-needed push to improve your Quant score to Q49-50.

Link to GMAT Quantitative Mega-Thread(beneficial in understanding concepts)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html

As for practice, you can find all the questions at GMATClub. You should use the Timer to time
yourself once you are familiar with the concepts. Last but not the least, you could check out
our study plan:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html

Hope this helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 1 month of study, 480 on practice test  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 20:26
Hi asimba7,

To start, a 480 is a decent initial CAT Score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). That having been said, raising a 480 to a 700+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. It's not impossible though (and we've had some Clients improve more than 300 points over the course of their studies), but it will require a lot of specific training on your part.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 23:26
Thank you!

To answer your questions:

1) Ive been using online course from Manhattan Prep very diligently (I’m now through half of their 9 month program)

2) I was planning on taking the GMAT on June. I was aiming to apply R1, but now I feel like R2 is more realistic

3) I am planning to apply to Kellogg, Wharton, Booth.. (top 10)

Thanks again, appreciate it so much..
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 13:33
Hi asimba7,

The Round 1 application deadlines are far enough in the future that you still have plenty of time to continue studying and improving. Since you're in the 'middle' of a GMAT Course, the logical choice would be to continue with this Course until you've completed it. You should also plan to take FULL-LENGTH CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) at regular intervals (every 2-3 weeks for the next couple of months) so that we can track your progress. Based on how you're scoring at the end of the Course, we can discuss the adjustments that you'll need to make going forward.

It's important to remember that the GMAT will always give you the score that you EARN. As such, "review" is an important part of the training process - and after taking each CAT, you should do a full review of your performance (to try to define WHY you're getting questions wrong). Once we have a clearer idea of your specific 'needs', we can better plan out what areas require some extra work (and the more specific you can be with your answers to these questions, the better).

After reviewing each section of this CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) In the Verbal section, how many questions did you "narrow down to 2 choices" but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 1 month of study, 480 on practice test &nbs [#permalink] 12 Mar 2018, 13:33

1 month of study, 480 on practice test

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap