Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:26 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Darden, Duke, NYU, Columbia
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek:

That sounds like a great schedule! Do you have any recommendations on which order to use the study guides or how many I should get through per week?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
freestyla86 wrote:
kidderek:

That sounds like a great schedule! Do you have any recommendations on which order to use the study guides or how many I should get through per week?

I started off with Princeton Review, solved their tests to warm up then read theory in Manhattan Review, solved all the tasks in Sentence Correction and then read Kaplan while mixing tasks to solve from Manhattan, Kaplan and OG.
Difficulty of tasks is Princeton => Manhattan => Kaplan.
Besides, Manhattan has some weird tasks in DS and is not as clear and logical in SC as OG is.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What firm do you work for?

Giving you a month off is fantastic.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that Kaplan would be a good book to read through during the intial phase of trying to learn about the GMAT and the question types, scoring, and some introduction to solving the problems. Then I'd say OG or even Kaplan 800 during your hard core study time, mixed with practice CAT's. I think 1 month is plenty of time to perfect your weaknesses. The first month where you have little time, should just let you know where your weaknesses are and what types of questions you're comfortable with.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
freestyla86 wrote:
kidderek:

This is just a personal recommendation but I would avoid Kaplan. It really does nothing for you. I scored some 200 points below on one Kaplan paper test than on the actual exam. More to the point, the questions do a poor job of emulating the actual gmat questions. These are not just my viewpoints, but the general consensus of the gmatclub community.

However there are some who argue that Kraplan does offer something in the way of a new angle. I won't deny that. But I will tell you this much, Kaplan doesn't cover anything that Princeton Review already does.

Depending on how much standardized concepts you remember, I suggest you start with the Princeton Review. You should be able to breeze through this book. While your doing so, do three things, which you will do until test day. One, time everything. EVERYTHING. Two, start a set of flash cards. Write down any concept you don't know cold. Write down any question you get wrong. You make a mistake, you punish yourself with the flash cards. Three, notate every incorrect question (kinda goes with flash cards). You will redo the ones you got wrong.

Carry these cards with you where ever you go. If the pile gets too thick, shuffle, take a manageable portion and switch off from day to day.

When you're done with the PR book, take inventory of ALL gmat CATs you can get your hands on. I used three kinds -- PR (pretty accurate in terms of score), MGMAT (pretty tough) and GMATPREP (the gold standard).

IMPORTANT - The GMATPREP is GOLD. Do NOT take a test on a whim. Treat it like gold.

If you haven't already, pick up the OG supplements as well. They're pretty easy compared with the OG, but still better than any other company.

Here, I would say start attacking the first half of each OG section. The questions are not that difficult. You should get a very high percentage of them right.

When you're done with the first half of the OG, get the manhattan gmat books that correspond to your weakness. Definitely get the sentence correction. If the PR sentence correction is high school grammar, mgmat SC is Shakespearean prose. Get it, no questions asked.

The mgmat math stuff is very good too. I like to think of myself as a quant, and even I had difficulty with the math. MGMAT breaks it down into simple manageable components. Keep practicing. The online exercises that come with each subject focus is brutal, but very helpful.

Try taking a GMATPrep at this point. Do not be discouraged by your score. You're still a work in progress.

Are you still working on those flash cards? The ones you've memorized, you can put aside.

Continue working on the rest of the OG.

When you're done or near done with them, you should be about 1 or 2 weeks away from the actual gmat. Take your second GMATPrep. If this score is within 30 points of your target, you're good to go. Work on all the problems you've gotten wrong. Find other materials, namely the 1000 series. Keep your brain warm and prepare yourself psychologically for the test. You're in the home stretch.

Damm, I wrote a lot.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great tips Kid...let me throw in my 2 c here.

I think powerprep is a great tool BEFORE you start working on OG but after say working on PR. Once you work on OG, PP becomes useless. So do it before starting on the OG and you will find it to be very useful to gauge your level.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]