Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (S)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: 3 weeks to increase quant score [#permalink]
Hi there Clicks,

My impression of the highest-level Quant questions on the GMAT was that they required a reasonably strong familiarity with the quantitative concepts tested. I'm not sure about the exact variety of questions available in the MGMAT books, but it seems to me that it may not be the most effective - or, at least, efficient - approach to simply try to run your way through the entire stack in hope of being prepared for the same types of questions on the actual GMAT.

Rather, it might be better to just reinforce your grasp of the basic concepts relevant to the GMAT, and develop your facility with them to a point where you can apply them in a wide variety of situations. The MGMAT questions which you have might come in handy here, but you'll have to make sure that when you try them out and check your responses against the suggested answers, you understand exactly why it is you were correct/wrong.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your next GMAT!

- MrFong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (S)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
vandygrad11 wrote:
Have you taken GMAT Club tests yet?

I have gone through 10 of the Gmat Club tests and feel comfortable with the concepts tested.

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
After Q 45, you need to ensure that you try lots of different types of questions so that you can intuitively identify the concept being tested. Also, don't just 'know' the concept, make sure you understand the 'why' behind it. e.g. when you have a quadratic, you solve it by factorizing it and making each factor 0. Why?

Is it safe to assume the best method of study would be to practice multiple "advanced" questions everyday to understand the different applications of the GMAT concepts? Would this provide more value than working through the MGAMT Advanced Quant book?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
3 weeks to increase quant score [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Clicks wrote:
vandygrad11 wrote:

I have gone through 10 of the Gmat Club tests and feel comfortable with the concepts tested.

After Q 45, you need to ensure that you try lots of different types of questions so that you can intuitively identify the concept being tested. Also, don't just 'know' the concept, make sure you understand the 'why' behind it. e.g. when you have a quadratic, you solve it by factorizing it and making each factor 0. Why?

Is it safe to assume the best method of study would be to practice multiple "advanced" questions everyday to understand the different applications of the GMAT concepts? Would this provide more value than working through the MGAMT Advanced Quant book?

I cannot comment on the usefulness of MGMAT book since I haven't checked it out myself.
And yes, after Q45, practicing advanced questions will help. Focusing on logical solutions would also be helpful. Try to figure out different ways in which you can arrive at the answer. It will help you understand the inter-related concepts. The alternative solutions will help you solve questions where your regular solutions will be too time consuming.

Check out my blog for examples: https://anaprep.com/blogs/

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 16 Jun 2012, 00:06.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 23 Aug 2023, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hi all,

In fact, I have gone through the GMAT CLUB tests as well as MGMAT advance quant book. Club tests will certainly provide you with much required practice and help you understand the nuances of GMAT questions at different levels. Whereas MGMAT advance quant book reinforces the basic learning explaining different turns and tricks. In fact, this book provides the methods to overcome time constraints, help develop logical thinking and also talks about silly twists and turns which one might overlook under pressure. I personally like products of MGMAT and also have used GC to the hilt therefore my opinion might be little biased but I think both these are must for practice and also for doing calculated guessing.

All the best.

Clicks wrote:
vandygrad11 wrote:

I cannot comment on the usefulness of MGMAT book since I haven't checked it out myself.
And yes, after Q45, practicing advanced questions will help. Focusing on logical solutions would also be helpful. Try to figure out different ways in which you can arrive at the answer. It will help you understand the inter-related concepts. The alternative solutions will help you solve questions where your regular solutions will be too time consuming. Check out my blog for examples.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts