Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Re: 35 days to GMAT Exam - Re-strategizing (Inputs/ Advice Reqd) [#permalink]
I think you should try a CAT diagnostic test pretty soon enough so that you can feel how it's like that the question is getting harder and harder. For me, it's feel very different from doing the practices in OG. I think this way might help you know how well you can do each section under a timed-condition and might help you adjust your strategies accordingly.

This's just my opinion though. Anyway, Good luck in your Exam :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You should "complete" one of your outstanding areas - either verbal or math. Be done with it and then focus on the other.

I would also recommend to immediately take a diagnostic test, such as GMATPrep or other and see where you stand - you may need more/less work than you think. DO IT! :)

If you need help with CR, get the PowerScore CR book - it has been recommended by many on this forum.

It is fantastic that you are doing great with RC. This is usually the hardest area to improve.

Put more emphasis on learning/reviewing basics in math than crunching questions in the OG - much more effective. You can try Kaplan Math Workbook if you have access to it or if you need a lot of help, you can try Kaplan Math Foundations.

However, I think we need to see you GMATPrep performance before we can really give a quality recommendation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
You should "complete" one of your outstanding areas - either verbal or math. Be done with it and then focus on the other.

I would also recommend to immediately take a diagnostic test, such as GMATPrep or other and see where you stand - you may need Sc: more/less work than you think. DO IT! :)

If you need help with CR, get the PowerScore CR book - it has been recommended by many on this forum.

It is fantastic that you are doing great with RC. This is usually the hardest area to improve.

Put more emphasis on learning/reviewing basics in math than crunching questions in the OG - much more effective. You can try Kaplan Math Workbook if you have access to it or if you need a lot of help, you can try Kaplan Math Foundations.

However, I think we need to see you GMATPrep performance before we can really give a quality recommendation.

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

In fact, I gave a diagnostic and scored 510 with the following break up:

Quant (Scored-35, 23 Correct)
Verbal (Scored-25, 23 correct, only 38 attempted)

Quant:
I reviewed the quant section and found the areas where I'm lacking competence - Coordinate Geometry, Probability and Combitronics (P&C) and DS type questions of Applied Maths.

I've already completed PS questions of OG and currently mid way in DS.

I'm yet to study the P&C topic but will try to complete it in this week. I've reviewed Coordinate geometry once and now confident about it.

The problem I'm facing the most is in DS type Applied problems in which I tend to spend more than usual on coming to an conclusion required for answering the questions. I did try to learn and improve the nitty-gritty of such questions by studying Kaplan Math workbook and Kaplan Premier CD, it really helped but the speed required to answer the question is missing.

Verbal:

SC: I got most of SC questions correct.
CR:Though I tried my best to understand the stem and question but still couldn't get the correct answer.
As suggested by you, I did try to study CR basics but I am just unable to apply the funda in most of the questions. Every time, it boiled down to using spontaneity and basic understanding of the passage.

The biggest problem I'm facing is in the Economy related questions of CR & RC. I'm from an Engineering background and do not understand the Economic terms, Marketing Strategies, Insurance policies type of questions. Even after spending a lot of time on figuring the correct answer, I mark wrong answer on these type of questions.

RC: During the GMATprep test, I found a RC passage (Out of 4) which dealt entirely with Economy and even after repetitive attempts I could not understand the passage. Hence, I got all the wrong answers.

Please suggest a way to improve now. I've rescheduled my GMAT appointment for September 29th.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What schedule should I follow? [#permalink]
Hello

I have a complete month to my exam and I really need to make a good strategic plan to give the best shot of my life for it.
These days I'm just focusing on my weakest areas - CR (by reading Powerscore) and Permutation & Combination/ Probability (by learning basics). I'm not studying anything else, not even revising anything right now.

I'm yet to complete Quant - DS section of OG. Although, I've already done SC, CR, RC & PS from it. I intend to revise OG followed by Verbal Review and Quant Review.

I'm not too sure of the strategy or plan to be followed. So, I need your inputs to best use the time available.

The target score for me is at least 650 and exam is on Sept 29th.

Thanks
Vaibhav Mittal
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello vaibhavmittal,

You should use your diagnostic test to determine where you need to spend the most time.

Based on your high level results above, it appears you need to spend more time on verbal.

There also appears to be a timing issue. Are you having trouble managing your time?
GMAT Club Bot