Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: SMU (Cox) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.2
WE:Marketing (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 4th time's a charm? Should I retake...? [#permalink]
I didn't fare any better the first two times I sat for the test 2 years ago. My prep for those first two times consisted of:
1. Official Guide
2. Kaplan Verbal and Math
3. I studied for two months (4 in total) for both tests. In retrospect, my studying wasn't very focused and was more based on memorization than actually learning the material\strategies. I tried to cram as much information in as possible, not really understanding what type of test I was taking. After I bombed those, I postponed all of B-School ambitions and took a break for about a year. I evaluated things, reviewed stories from this site and other, and decided to take another shot at it.

My prep this time is as follows:

1. Materials used: Manhattan Guides, Knewton Prep, Official Guide w/ Quant and Verbal books

2. Prep: Started off with the Knewton Course (Live). The sessions were good for about a month or so, but I couldn't keep up with the live schedule due to work issues/personal issues at the time. (That's why my studying was on and off) So, I decided to stop taking live courses and just use the on demand feature along with the Manhattan books that I ordered.

After awhile I concentrated solely on the Manhattan Guides and the OG12. With work/family obligations, I tried to study 2-3 hours per day during the week and then 8-10 hours (total) on the weekends. I attacked each section and kept an error log for the OG questions. After each practice test, I tried to analyze my weak spots and concentrate on those things as my prep went along. Things didn't always work out that way as obligations came up and I would go days without looking at any material. This fact caused me to push my test date back several times, which is why my initial goal for prep (2 months) turned into 5-6 months. I found myself having to continuously go back through material I felt I had already mastered.

Just in writing this response and recanting my prep, I can already see how my prep wasn't exactly ideal. I know that this seems like a daunting obstacle to overcome, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to improve my score. I am determined to at least score competitively, I know I can do it. Any suggestions?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
cndukwe wrote:
Started off with the Knewton Course (Live). The sessions were good for about a month or so, but I couldn't keep up with the live schedule due to work issues/personal issues at the time.

cndukwe wrote:
would go days without looking at any material. This fact caused me to push my test date back several times, which is why my initial goal for prep (2 months) turned into 5-6 months. I found myself having to continuously go back through material I felt I had already mastered.

I think that this is the main culprit. You couldn't find time or muster enough energy to consistently stick to a study schedule. These obstacles cost you (1) a competitive score, (2) years of your time, and (3) hundreds of dollars. And at this stage, you probably suffer from burnout.

I would say that you probably need a small break before you restart your studies. You have the right materials and approach, but fatigue will prevent you from applying the game plan. You need a sufficient amount of time and dedication to earn an acceptable score. If a proper study schedule cannot be carried out, then another retake will just end in the same result.

So my advice is rather basic. Just be consistent and put your GMAT aspirations first and above everything else. This will require sacrifices and might not be possible at times, but you really need to put in a great deal of effort this time.

If you have any more specific questions (study materials, practice tests, etc.), we would be happy to offer our thoughts. If not, then good luck with your retake!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Its hard to say without knowing more about your study methods, but it doesn't make sense that your actual score is 110-160 points lower than your practice tests, unless the tests were garbage, or something happened on your test day that threw you off.

Did you take the GMATprep tests? And if so how did you perform on those? Secondly, was there anything that seemed off on your test day? Did your nerves get to you? Did the questions seem different from what you are used to? Or maybe were you unable to sleep leading up to it? Perhaps you bungled the timing?

I'm just trying to figure out why there is such a discrepancy between your practice tests and your actual test. I know the first time I took the GMAT I was very wound up and nervous and my brain seemed to shut down during the math section. I retook it a month later and felt much more at ease and performed much better.

When are you planning to apply to programs? If it is this year, you will probably have to reschedule immediately for your retake and study hard and consistently until then. If its not til next year then I would do as bmillan said and take a bit of time off and then make a plan that you can stick with day after day for two to three months.

Lastly, you didn't mention what your breakdown was, but if your math scores are low I'd recommend the MGMAT foundations of math if you haven't worked through it yet. My math was bad when I first started studying and that book really helped me out. Just remember to stick with the basics, don't try to jump into difficult concepts and material until you are a master of lower and mid level questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow! I cant believe i'm just replying to this message. I actually ended up retaking the GMAT and got a 580. Not a great score by any means, but I still decided to apply to MBA programs. I applied to Rice and SMU, which are both local to me. I got accepted to SMU w/scholarship and will be interviewing with Rice next week. I guess the rest of my application was pretty strong.
SVP
SVP
A 100-point improvement is impressive, so I'm glad to hear that you feel more comfortable with your performance. Congratulations and thanks for the follow-up!

An interview means (obviously) that the school is interested in you, so you're overall profile must be quite good. Hopefully, you can impress those interviewers at Rice. Here are a few links to some basic info:

https://gmatclub.com/blog/2012/03/mba-ad ... interview/

https://gmatclub.com/blog/2009/02/busine ... pplicants/

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
cndukwe wrote:
Wow! I cant believe i'm just replying to this message. I actually ended up retaking the GMAT and got a 580. Not a great score by any means, but I still decided to apply to MBA programs. I applied to Rice and SMU, which are both local to me. I got accepted to SMU w/scholarship and will be interviewing with Rice next week. I guess the rest of my application was pretty strong.

Congratulations!

I would love to read a debrief of what you did from your last reply to the one from today.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
Send PM
Wow congratulations!! I am impressed that you didn't give up. Would love to know how your experience with Rice went? Might be a prospective school for me.
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
cndukwe wrote:

Congratulations! Did you do anything differently this time around? To what would you chalk up your drastic improvement? How useful was the error log?
GMAT Club Bot