Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [2]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: 580..need advice..miserable Verbal [#permalink]
Hi,

You got me right on that 1. My SC skills are pathetic. There is no magic spell which can help me out except studying. What I would really like to know is how I can improve. If you can suggest a game plan to follow, that would be really great. To be really honest with you my base is not too strong in grammar. I have started rebuilding, but it is self study, that's why I would like to know if I am going in the right direction.

Regards,
Max
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [0]
Send PM
if you want a good gmat score and you are not a genius, then you must work for it. No one here knows who you are and your study habits, if there is a universal study plan that would help every single person achieve a 700 score, then everybody would be getting 700+. This forum has countless stories that listed out different strategies for tackling the gmat, all you have to do is read through them and decide which approach is best for you. Also, participate in the forum and don't be too sensitive about giving out wrong answers, you will not get every question right (even the great Walker give some wrong answers). The point is to exercise and fine tune your approach to arrive at the answer, you can arrive at the wrong answer, but you learn to understand why your answer was wrong. The good news for you is that you can significantly improve your verbal score, and a 40 verbal score is a 90%tile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Improving verbal is easy especially I would say for the SC part it is. But for that you have to work hard. I would suggest you buy MGMAT SC book and start reading diligently. For CR if you can get Powerscore CR bible and read it end to end, it will help you to improve your score. But I must emphasize that you have to go through OG-10 and OG-11 at least two times and know in and out of the grammar rules.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.
I got the MGMAT, but it is an older version , i.e. 2003. IF you have a pdf of a newer one I can get a print.

I got a PDF for the LSAT CR Bible from Powerscore. I feel this is really good. It has got a lot of extra things but I like the organized approach it has. I have to practice more in CR. The CR100 is good. I didnt solve it completely earlier , but this time I would before I plan to give the GMAT again.

I already did the OG11 before the exam. I am planning to re-do it. Do you have the OG10. I coudn't even get a copy in the book store. A PDF would be very helpful.

Thanks and Regards,
Max
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Don't give up, it's not pathetic, it's your first attempt. My first tries were in the 530 range, and by studying I raised it to 720. Just make sure you focus on your weak areas and do practice tests regularly, you'll be fine. Don't be so hard on yourself!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got my AWA score, so felt like adding. I got 6.0, which seems really good.

I am still struggling on the grammar. Working hard to make it better.

I had a question in mind. WIth GMAT 580 (AWA 6, V 22, Q 48) and 3 yrs experience can I get a good college, like in FT top 50.
Eg: Warwick , UK. I just wanted to gather a few information. Any inputs would be useful.

Thanks and Regards,
Max.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: 580..need advice on College [#permalink]
I have taken GMAT test once. Scored 590 in that. Performed very badly in verbal. Planning to take the test again. Any advice for me?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Harsha - you should either start a new post or you should browse through some posts in this forum.

Probably you already know some of your focus points, however, go thru some posts, they WILL definately help you. Many like you & me are inquisitive to know "how to improve my score" etc, so do make sure you utilise this forum effectively. Its helped me.

Also, its not good to hijack someones thread/post :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts