Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:Indian School of Business
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 632 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 580 to 700+ need your help!!! [#permalink]
Quant was 39 and Verbal was 30..haven't received my official scores yet.

These were the only books I studied from..

Manhattan SC was good for the basics..I made a note of key points and used them in the test as well.. But overall SC was my weakest area in verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 632 [0]
Send PM
nehabansal11 wrote:
Quant was 39 and Verbal was 30..haven't received my official scores yet.

These were the only books I studied from..

Manhattan SC was good for the basics..I made a note of key points and used them in the test as well.. But overall SC was my weakest area in verbal.

Hi neha !!!

Seems that you are currently way off target from your dream score !!!

With quant score of 39 it seems that you need to brush up your fundas before actually competing with time. This would ofcourse require a lot of time and effort from your side. In quant you should concentrate on your weak areas and then try to practice Gmat Math Tests. Make error logs. In quant trust me there are not much of topics that are tested on real exam. Now since you have experienced the real thing you should try and gain from that. Remember you have to go a far way from 580 to 700. You should start right on.

For verbal also you must do OG12 atleast twice. You should have a strategy for verbal (RC and CR). For sentence correction you may practice with 1000sc. With constant practice you would improve a lot. I started with a weak quant background and just recently ended up with a great 49 in Gmat Prep.

Hope that helps !!!

Good look for your endeavors.

Sandeep
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Sandeep...what books did you use to improve your quant??
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Would suggest a deeper dive - see a study plan here: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html
Also book recommendations here: top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html

Would suggest you either get more of the MGMAT books or if money is an issue, get Kaplan math workbook and Kaplan Verbal workbook. You have a steep road ahead of you as ISB has a very high average GMAT score - 730 (higher than any US school). (would recommend MGMAT Guides for the most/best results). I would focus on the basics the most. Would also read a lot of English book (Fiction aka GMAT Fiction from your local library) and possibly get a grammar book as well if you are not native - almost anything will work but a few people have mentioned Doing Grammar as one - I have not used it and can't really vouch.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey thanks!! that really helped. The Manhattan books are not available in India in the stores..so i'll have to figure that out.

I'll get the Kaplan workbook over the weekend.

I think i'll take my next date once I bring up my scores to an average of 700.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nehabansal11 wrote:
Hey thanks!! that really helped. The Manhattan books are not available in India in the stores..so i'll have to figure that out.

I'll get the Kaplan workbook over the weekend.

I think i'll take my next date once I bring up my scores to an average of 700.

Good luck !!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi..i might be able to get the Manhattan review turbo charge your GMAT: Maths study guide..is that a good book for quant practice or is the Kaplan GMAT maths workbook better.

or should I just stick to the OG 12 and practice additional questions on the forum.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nehabansal11 wrote:
Hi..i might be able to get the Manhattan review turbo charge your GMAT: Maths study guide..is that a good book for quant practice or is the Kaplan GMAT maths workbook better.

or should I just stick to the OG 12 and practice additional questions on the forum.

MR or kaplan workbook are good for brushing up your fundamentals and getting preview of concepts tested on Gmat. But as far as I know these are just basics and thats it. These wont provide you with shortcuts and tricks to questions of varied types. For this u need to take a proper planned approach to the forum. I started with 33 in quant and have now increased to 47+ levels on consistent basis.

What I see that here on the forum various users posts provide you with different methods of solving a particular question (may be upto 3-4 methods for a single quesn). You can then adopt the best and easiest method you find. Also these forums have questions that others find difficult so you would find variety of question which you will not get in any single book.

Hope this helps.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mustdoit wrote:
nehabansal11 wrote:

MR or kaplan workbook are good for brushing up your fundamentals and getting preview of concepts tested on Gmat. But as far as I know these are just basics and thats it. These wont provide you with shortcuts and tricks to questions of varied types. For this u need to take a proper planned approach to the forum. I started with 33 in quant and have now increased to 47+ levels on consistent basis.

Congratulations on the 47 - that's a great level!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts