Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 640 on Offical GMAT despite high scores in GmatPrep and MGMAT [#permalink]
HiLine Thank you. I am still waiting for the GMAC to post my score. I'll get the ESR asap

EMPOWERgmatRichC Thank you for your encouragement. Here are my answers to your questions:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? I only skipped the essay since i find it repetitive
2) Did you take them at home? Yes I did
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT? I took the last CATs two days prior to the test day.
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? I'd say I only drank water when I was taking my CATs
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions before (in this Forum)? For the GMATprep Exams, I took them more than once. For the MGMAT CATs I only took it once, hence, there was no repeat questions

If there's any advice on how I can improve my verbal scores, I'd really appreciate it. I scored between 95% - 98%-tile on the SC section in all my Preps, I missed between 1-2 questions :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi loivoq,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day (not either time).

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, drinking water during the Tests, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT under realistic conditions?" Unfortunately, that will probably take more than 16 days. You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC Thank you for your advice. I think I have problems with my timing strategy in verbal
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22071 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
You did really well on your last few practice exams, and even though you didn’t take them under completely realistic conditions, I think that you are probably capable of hitting your GMAT score goal.

Do you think that your nerves got the best of you on test day, leading to the drop in your verbal score? If so, I suggest that you take another GMAT ASAP in the hopes of raising your verbal and hitting your score goal. In your prep for the upcoming exam, I don’t think you should drastically adjust your study routine. Again, based on the scores of your previous practice exams, you have shown that you are capable of a high verbal score.

For your retake, I suggest practicing official GMAC verbal questions (whether from older versions of the OG or question packs), as those questions will provide the most accurate depiction of what you will see on test day. After doing each problem set, analyze each question you missed and fix any weak points. Also, to get ready for your retake, consider reseting and retaking the two free MBA.com exams; you should see different questions from the first time you took the tests. When taking those practice exams, try to replicate the test day experience as much as possible: Go to the library instead of taking the test in your house or apartment. If your official GMAT is scheduled for 8:30am in the morning, take the practice test at 8:30am in the morning. Don’t drink water during the exams. Make sure you do the IR sections. Once complete, analyze your mistakes and figure out remedies for them. Do not take any practice exams within 48 hours of your actual GMAT. At that point you want your brain to be relaxed for the big day!

If you find that test day jitters are an issue, I wrote a detailed article that provides some valuable test day tips and strategies that should help calm your nerves on test day.

If you need any further advice, feel free to reach out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
loivoq wrote:
HiLine Thank you. I am still waiting for the GMAC to post my score. I'll get the ESR asap

No problem. Looking forward to analyzing your test day performance. :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi loivoq,

While you could very well have pacing issues in the Verbal section, those issues do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of other issues. If both of your Official Verbal scores are in the V20s, then you really to need to work on your Verbal Tactics (especially how you take notes and deal with the specific Verbal questions that the GMAT will ask you to deal with). This is additional support for the idea that you'll probably need more than 16 days of additional practice before you retest.

1) How many hours do you study during a typical week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'd say that it's primarily luck or hardwork. You can blame either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HiLine I just got my ESR. I really messed up on my verbal. My timing was way too off (all the 3 sections, CR, RC, SC percentile were really low to my practice exams). In the first set questions, I spent an average of 4:30mins on incorrect questions. As a result, I rushed through the remaining questions and made a lot of mistakes
EMPOWERgmatRichC Thank you for your advice. I will see what I can do. Otherwise, I'll have to change my testing date
ScottTargetTestPrep Thank you. I will try to replicate the environment. I just finished a few sets of verbal questions on gmatprep and scored above 90% with 2 repeat questions and no easy questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
loivoq wrote:
HiLine I just got my ESR. I really messed up on my verbal. My timing was way too off (all the 3 sections, CR, RC, SC percentile were really low to my practice exams). In the first set questions, I spent an average of 4:30mins on incorrect questions. As a result, I rushed through the remaining questions and made a lot of mistakes
EMPOWERgmatRichC Thank you for your advice. I will see what I can do. Otherwise, I'll have to change my testing date
ScottTargetTestPrep Thank you. I will try to replicate the environment. I just finished a few sets of verbal questions on gmatprep and scored above 90% with 2 repeat questions and no easy questions.

There may be key things on the report that you're glossing over. Would you mind sharing your ESR with us? (You can pm me if you'd rather not make it public). Glad you've already detected some of the issues!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts