Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 700-750 in 2 months...how??? [#permalink]
Hi
I have taken my 1st GMAT prep and scored 610.I didn't manage my time well and couldn't attempt 10 qns in verbal due to lack of time.
Quant(48)-37 attempted,8 wrong
Verbal(25)-31 attempted,10 wrong

So,whats ur advice on preparation?
I think I need some serious advice on verbal part.
Moreover,I'll be taking Gmat within a month or may be by end of this month.

Also,I want to know that how the scoring is done?
I mean,how the score is being calculated as 48 and 25? and how they reach 610...
Also,how many wrong qns I can afford for getting a score of 700+

Please help!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
pkumar91,

There's a large time gap between your first and last post. You mentioned in your first post that you were taking the GMAT in Dec '09. I'm assuming that you haven't taken it yet. Is the score that you posted from a GMAT prep that you recently took or a score from one that you took back in October? Have you prepped at all since then?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
wow, how did you even find this thread?

I'd say finish your test next time and you should get a much better score. You are severely punished for not completing the test - you should learn these basics about the test, including the fact that the score is not dependent on the number of correct answers, so I'd pay attention to your raw scores for each section rather than number of correct/wrong questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To akuma,

Hi
Yes,I had planned to take in Dec 09 but some how I didn't take it.
I took this GMAT prep yesterday only and yes,I did prepare from OG after posting this post.

So,what do you say that how should I approach for 700+

Thanks in advance.!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To bb,

Can you please tell me what would have been my score had I attempted all qns in verbal?

I have no idea of how the scoring is done in gmat...can you please elaborate or tell me the source from where I can get info....

also,what should be my appraoch now for getting 700+...

Thanks in advance !
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
pkumar91 wrote:
To bb,

Can you please tell me what would have been my score had I attempted all qns in verbal?

I have no idea of how the scoring is done in gmat...can you please elaborate or tell me the source from where I can get info....

also,what should be my appraoch now for getting 700+...

Thanks in advance !

See these threads:
gmat-faq-frequently-asked-questions-about-gmat-75809.html
gmat-score-guide-to-gmat-scores-score-reports-83890.html
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Quote:
Quote:
pkumar91 wrote:
To akuma,
Hi
Yes,I had planned to take in Dec 09 but some how I didn't take it.
I took this GMAT prep yesterday only and yes,I did prepare from OG after posting this post.

So,what do you say that how should I approach for 700+

Thanks in advance.!

From your scores, it certainly seems that you're having trouble with verbal. You seem to be fairly decent with quant so I wouldn't emphasize that section with too much importance. It'll be easier for you increasing your verbal score significantly from let's say 25 to 38 rather than increasing your quant score from 48 to 51. This makes intuitive sense because of the degree of difficulty associated with on improving the respective sections. For example, going from 48 to 51 in quant, you would have to spend more time grasping complex concepts in order to nail down difficult questions.. and going from 25 to 38 in verbal, you would only have to grasp a strong basic foundation of GMAT english in order to nail down medium questions consistently.

With that being said, focus on your verbal. Prioritize your study with what sections give you the most trouble and study those sections relentlessly. Some students make the mistake of just reinforcing their strengths, neglecting their weaknesses by telling themselves "It's ok because on test day, somehow I'll be able to pull it off." Don't shy away from your weaknesses. Acknowledge them and attack!

Spoken like one of the gran olde dogs! +1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Guyz,
I have got the same problem with verbal. I took my first gmat on 4th Jan and scored 500. Q45 and V16. I have booked my second gmat on 22nd Feb and i still have 5 weeks to prepare.
I plan to do OG12, OG10 verbal, OG verbal, OG Quantitative, 6 MGMAT exams, Kaptest, PR Test, gmat club tests, and GMAT prep 1,2, powerprep. If time allows i will buy PR 1012.

Any further suggestions how to attack my next gmat exam on 22nd Feb..

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks akuma and bb for your response..Its really helpful !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
wow, how did you even find this thread?

I'd say finish your test next time and you should get a much better score. You are severely punished for not completing the test - you should learn these basics about the test, including the fact that the score is not dependent on the number of correct answers, so I'd pay attention to your raw scores for each section rather than number of correct/wrong questions.

What do u mean by saying that "the score is not dependent on the number of correct answers, so I'd pay attention to your raw scores for each section rather than number of correct/wrong questions"?

If the score doesn't depend on no. of correct anwers then what does it depend on?
what is raw score?
Please tell me.I know these are basic qns but I don't know them and I think I must know them?
I shall be thankful to you.
GMAT Club Bot