Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 537 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink]
jko wrote:
satishchandraaily wrote:
But the fact is- I did not screw my exam; exam screwed me

In a 37 question problem set, guessing on the last 7 questions is a huge hit, but for a CAT problem set it's even worse. Not to mention whatever problems you missed in the first 30 problems.

The plus side here is that you know what you have to work on. Time management. Spend a month
working on your pacing and doing
more verbal problems and you should be able to dramatically
improve.

I agree with you. I can't be guessing the last 10. I will work on this difficiency.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmatpapa wrote:
I know how frustrating it can get. Honestly, though, 46 is not a score that reflects an IITian's quant ability.. Considering how big quant studs you guys are, so over confidence may be??

You guessed the last 10 questions on verbal- so that took care of your score going from 30 to 20 in pure arithmetic progression. Statistically, you have 20% chance of guessing a question correctly so even if you got 2/10 right,
spending 2-3 seconds/ question, the CAT would surely know that
you've guessed on the questions. So
most probably, no points there as
well (could be disputed but its just
my opinion).

----------------- story -- timing, timing, timing. Do as many official questions as possible and solve them by logic. That is what will get you through. No templates. No shortcuts. All my best wishes to you.

Hi dude. I must thank you for critically thinking on where could have I gone wrong and advising me your opinion.
First let's assume your logic about A.P. and algorithm about questions guessed.
If this is true, then why do they give GMATprep n powerprep with different algorithms.
I did the same in mgmat tests. Why would mgmat present their tests with different algo?
My friend, who gave exam in aug who scored 600 then n 540 on my exam day got 24 in verbal
She had scored 34 in august. She followed the same strategy as mine. She did guess from 32 to 41 questions but still she could score 34.
In these two months, I know how much she improved. Nothing has got reflected in the test.
Last one, I got 46 in quant when I started my prep. I did not all the quant formulae. I forgot all formulae after studying them in 12th n after studying for campus placements. When I got 46 at my start of prep, I could not finish quant I had to guess the last 4 questions.
I did solve very good tough quant questions with ease. FYI quant also had data 3 interpretation questions. I solved them with ease too.I was expecting 50 or 49.

My questions about whether a day can have any effects on score are still unanswered.
I ask this again and again because everyone who we knew who took exam on Oct 21st got 150 or more points less

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by satishchandraaily on 24 Oct 2011, 20:20.
Last edited by satishchandraaily on 25 Oct 2011, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAC is shady. I know someone who did >100 worse from an actual GMAT to another later actual GMAT, with more study....
They've had bugs in grading before and they're still completely opaque so who knows what it's doing with your answers. Extra shady if they're a for-profit organization.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sda wrote:
GMAC is shady. I know someone who did >100 worse from an actual GMAT to another later actual GMAT, with more study....
They've had bugs in grading before and they're still completely opaque so who knows what it's doing with your answers. Extra shady if they're a for-profit organization.

Dude,
I did not completely understand what you meant to say.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
yeah from what I understand, and I believe it is posted on mba.com as well as in the OG, not finishing a section of the test dramatically drops your score. As others have mentioned, the algorithm likely took into account when you put the same answer for all of the last 7 questions and probably scored it the same as if you hadn't answered them at all.

The point of the GMAT isn't just to test how well you can answer verbal and quant questions, but how well you can manage the test. I'm sure any of us - given enough time - could get most GMAT questions right, but trying to answer them in under 2 minutes is much more challenging and it forces you to pick your battles and make educated guesses by eliminating answer choices etc.

The fact that you were only able to answer 30 V questions in time, and that you say that is how it has been in your practice exams tells me that you haven't learned to consistently manage your time. I'll echo what the above poster suggested: reschedule the test for a month from now and focus your efforts on timing. Practice timing strategy and learn to make smart guesses when you are starting to get behind. You'll be surprised how much your score can increase by employing these tactics.

Hi,
Thanks for your analysis on my test.
I dont know whether i have misread your post or not. But I want to clarify that I did finish off my test. I left no question unanswered.
My Questions are-
How is it treated answering questions in a row same option as same as leaving questions unasnwered?
It could happen that I read all last three and thought answer should be 'D' in a row. I may be wrong for any question. But does the program think I guessed and treat those questions as unanswered ones?
It's hard to believe and accept this as true mate.

However, I still feel spending equal time on all questions and managing time properly is great strategy. I will work upon it.

Also do you think any particular day can have its effect on scores? If majority of top scorers give exam on same day?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Abhishek14 wrote:
I gave GMAT today .. I saw shocker 550 M45/V21 .. Cant believe .. Guys plzz help .. I am not able to figure out where it went wrng...

Abhishek,
Where and when did you give your exam? Are you by any chance the same abhishek who gave in Pune on Oct 21st? I could not talk to that abhishek after my exam as he left early and forgot his jacket in my locker
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
Send PM
satishchandraaily wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for your analysis on my test.
I dont know whether i have misread your post or not. But I want to clarify that I did finish off my test. I left no question unanswered.
My Questions are-
How is it treated answering questions in a row same option as same as leaving questions unasnwered?
It could happen that I read all last three and thought answer should be 'D' in a row. I may be wrong for any question. But does the program think I guessed and treat those questions as unanswered ones?
It's hard to believe and accept this as true mate.

However, I still feel spending equal time on all questions and managing time properly is great strategy. I will work upon it.

Also do you think any particular day can have its effect on scores? If majority of top scorers give exam on same day?

Well nobody knows precisely how the algorithm works, I was just giving a possible guess as to why your would score so low. Also seven questions is a good chunk of the verbal, and after each subsequent incorrect answer, the test gives an easier question. So the last few questions you answered D on were likely low level questions and could have caused a large drop in your score.

As far as a particular day having an effect on your test - no I don't think so. The reason being that your scores are given as a percentile compared to the last 3 years of test takers, so you aren't only being compared to those who sit for the test the same day as you. BUT the day surely can have an effect on you - if you are tired, nervous etc, you may perform more poorly than you would in a different setting. So in that regard your scores will probably fluctuate from day to day.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37314 posts