Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 06:26 It is currently 11 May 2024, 06:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1940 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: 740 on First Diagnostic - Mistake? [#permalink]
Thanks so much for the input, really appreciate it. To answer your questions, it was my first test and I haven't studied for it yet. Breakdown was Q49, V41. I felt pretty comfortable on verbal. Though the score wasn't amazing, I feel like some studying on the sentence correction part will help a lot and am confident I can improve here. For quant, I found many of the questions difficult and definitely expect that I need to do a good amount of studying here. I did not expect to receive such a high score and imagine that a decent amount of the questions I got right I was not 100% certain on.

Re: goals, my goal is 760+ and I will not be applying to business schools for another 2 years at the minimum, but want to take it within 3 months.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1804 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
dlj272727 wrote:
Hi, I took my first diagnostic GMAT yesterday and scored a 740. This score was very surprising to me since I found the quant portion pretty difficult. Moreover, I only got 22/31 correct on Quant and 26/36 correct on Verbal. Can I trust this first diagnostic score? My goal is to score 760+ but definitely expected my baseline to be lower, around the ~650 range from the numbers I've seen people able to improve. Thanks for any input.

Hey dlj272727,

As long as you are sure that you have solved the questions using the right methods and didn't get lucky on a few, you don't have to worry about it. If you are still not sure, you can go ahead and take another mock to see if the score is consistent or not.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi dlj272727,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. Since you are not facing any immediate deadline (in terms of taking the Exam or applying to School), you can feel free to approach your studies however you like. If you're looking for a structured study plan and materials, then I have some suggestions. You might also consider studying however you choose for 1-2 weeks, then taking a NEW practice CAT/mock. That result will help to define whether you got a bit 'lucky' or not on your first CAT and will help to define how well 'your way' of approaching GMAT questions during that 1-2 weeks of study is helping you to improve. All things considered, if you are as strong a critical-thinker as your initial CAT Score implies, then you might just need to adjust how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in a few ways - and you could potentially take the Official GMAT in 1-2 months and hit your Score Goal.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22190 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi dlj272727,

740 is a great start! I do think you can trust that score, so you should be pretty happy about it. Since you have plenty of time before you have to take the GMAT, do you want any advice regarding your study plan?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 757
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
dlj272727 wrote:
Hi, I took my first diagnostic GMAT yesterday and scored a 740. This score was very surprising to me since I found the quant portion pretty difficult. Moreover, I only got 22/31 correct on Quant and 26/36 correct on Verbal. Can I trust this first diagnostic score? My goal is to score 760+ but definitely expected my baseline to be lower, around the ~650 range from the numbers I've seen people able to improve. Thanks for any input.

You haven't said what test you took and how much (if any) preparation you have done for the GMAT. Also, how you have prepared, esp. what materials you have used

For instance (hypothetical case), suppose you have taken lessons from a tutor who has made you do many questions from the free GMATPREP tests
And you have then taken one of the free GMATPREP tests as a first diagnostic
Then the 740 wouldn't predict anything, would it?

But suppose this was your first dealing with anything GMAT-related : in that case the 740 really is exceptional! You could book an appointment and take the test tomorrow :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot