Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
i somehow seem to agree with financeguy.. 760 with 15 days prep.. ah i think you are GOD of GMAT or something like that :)
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Haha, apparently I've already garnered quite a reputation for being a liar on this thread! Sorry, it didn't notify me in my email that people had replied. So here's a better breakdown:

I downloaded the free GMAT software, and took one of the free tests right away. I scored 730, but then I realized I had screwed up, because I thought I was allowed to use a calculator on the math section, but I did very well on the verbal and felt comfortable with the essays, although of course I didn't know how I'd be scored on the AWA. But in terms of the math/verbal, I knew I wanted to focus on math.

So I spent some time reading GMAT book reviews, and came across the Official Guide as the standard that everyone needed. I also wanted additional help for the math portion, and several people on amazon said how the book was lacking for the verbal part, but the math is great. So I knew going into it that is the only part I would use it for. I also picked up the Princeton Review Cracking the GMAT, but I mentioned NOVA because their math help was a major difference maker (in fact, I sent an email to them to thank them after I took the test).

I waited, didn't study anymore until the books got here, then started 2 weeks of intense studying. I did all the math questions in the Official Guide, and supplemented with the NOVA book. Really, I never used NOVA for anything but math, again because everyone said it was weak in the other areas. But a big part is that I am a compulsive email checker, and every day there would be a question sent to my inbox, getting my mind back into that mode early in the morning.

Then, a few days before the test, I was taking the second free practice test from the GMAT download software, and in the middle of my taking the test in my apartment, I get a call from the test center saying they were closing on the day I was scheduled and I would have to reschedule for a week later (could the timing have been any worse?). But I finished the 2nd practice test, and scored 750. So I knew I could do well.

On test day, I felt like I either knew the answers to the questions, or had absolutely no idea. Which was nice, because 50/50 can be frustrating. And I wound up scoring a 760.

Thanks for likening me with a diety trahul, but I think I've found way too many people in the 750+ range on these boards to believe it's anything special.

So that's why I recommend NOVA. I am not spamming, and though they did respond to my email saying they were happy to hear I scored well, they did not ask me to promote their book or do anything for them. It's a good book for math. That's all I used it for, and I heard the verbal prep was not good. Any more clarifying I can do would be fine.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
LOL bmw, I just read my first post again, and I did sound like a spammer for NOVA. So, again, let me clarify. I would recommend NOVA's GMAT prep ONLY as a supplement to the GMAT Official Guide, and ONLY for the math portion.

And financeguy, you are exactly right, the GMAT doesn't have any shortcuts. While most people get athleticism or not being so dang skinny as I am written into their genetic codes, I got the ability to problem solve on these type of questions. If I had a choice, I'd take the athleticism!

Originally posted by PaulK on 28 Jul 2007, 11:30.
Last edited by PaulK on 30 Jul 2007, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Woohoo! I just checked my email again, and I had been sent my "Official Score Report." So I checked it, and I got a 6.0 on the AWA!

Now I feel like I can add a post about that part. For the AWA prep, again the Official GMAT guide gives you the best introduction and explanation, plus about 1000 example topics. But for me, there are 2 other sources I found most useful.

The first is a bit unusual, but because I was first thinking about law school, I ordered a book called "Getting to Maybe." It talks about how to analyze arguments for potential weaknesses like you'd have to do as a lawyer, but since I'm not considering law school anymore, at least I got some use out of it! It helped me with the Analysis of an Argument essay. I could look for all the little logical gaps, and I knew how to pick at them because of the strategies the book talked about.

For the Analysis of an Issue, the Princeton Review book was most useful. Really, only for one reason. It suggested that the people reviewing the essays only have an average of 2 minutes to look at them. So, they want something to catch their eye. The Princeton Review suggested book references. So I picked out 3 books I knew fit the issue, and discussed the characters' motivations, etc.

Apparently it worked! YAY!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Thanks for likening me with a diety trahul, but I think I've found way too many people in the 750+ range on these boards to believe it's anything special.

I think that the reason some people found your story to be a bit hard to believe was not that you scored so well, but that you did it after only 2 weeks of study. If you read the experiences of most of the 700+ scorers (or really anyone here), most people are studying their rear ends off for at least 3 months, using multiple guides, doing the GMAT Club challenges, etc...

Also, (and I'm sorry if I offend anyone by making generalizations) most people here have spent a whole lot of time researching schools and programs to see which ones are the best for the specialization they want to go into, analyzing GMAT scores and GPAs and work experiences etc. for people who have been admitted to those schools, and stressing out over applications and interviews.

So, I think that it just caught some of us off-guard to see someone so flippant about the whole process. It kind of comes across as if you just woke up one day and thought, "Hey, I think business school might be kind of fun!" and then achieved a score on the GMAT after 2 weeks that not only will most people never achieve, but that even those who do have spent months preparing for, and then it comes out that you haven't even done the painstaking research into schools that most people here do before they take the GMAT.

So, congrats on your great score and I'm sure that you'll get into a great school! Just remember, though, that for business school, they're not just looking for academic achievement. I would suggest checking out the application thread for tips on the application process.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
ishcabibble, the past week of near-constant insomnia has definitely introduced me to the stress of the MBA application process. There are so many choices for schools, and analyzing all the available data to think "Will I have any chance at admittance to this school?", or "Where do I have a shot at a decent scholarship?" has definitely been keeping me up through the past nights.

I spent a long time reading through all the experiences of the seemingly endless number of people scoring 700+ in this forum, and I thought that my experience was different enough maybe it could help some other people out who didn't plan to dedicate 3+ months to studying. I have taken tests before where I begin to realize that my continued studying is not improving my retention rate, but may in fact be making it more difficult. So by giving myself 2 weeks of solid studying, with 3 solid GMAT guides, I felt it was enough studying without overdoing it.

I was, admittedly, underprepared when it came to school research, but have found the suggestions of the people on the "B-School Applications" thread very helpful. But don't worry, the application process is giving me plenty of sleepless nights at the moment.

Hopefully the strategy I took for the GMAT will be helpful to some. But, if not, at least there's hundreds of other success stories around here for people to choose from.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paulk, I meant no offense by my post! I really hope that you didn't take it that way. :-D

Like the saying goes, misery loves company, and so I guess that at least for myself in particular, who studied for 5 months and got a 620 (which is fine for the school I'm applying to) it's hard to hear about people who study for such a short period of time and receive such a stellar score.

However, I'm sure that you do have some great advice to offer those on this board who for whatever reasons only have a short time to prepare for the test. Or even those who are doing a last minute push to increase their score.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
ishcabibble wrote:
Paulk, I meant no offense by my post! I really hope that you didn't take it that way. :-D

Like the saying goes, misery loves company, and so I guess that at least for myself in particular, who studied for 5 months and got a 620 (which is fine for the school I'm applying to) it's hard to hear about people who study for such a short period of time and receive such a stellar score.

However, I'm sure that you do have some great advice to offer those on this board who for whatever reasons only have a short time to prepare for the test. Or even those who are doing a last minute push to increase their score.

Of course, ishcabibble, no offense taken. To be offended by your explaining why other people didn't believe my score would take quite an ego! I appreciate the feedback, and hope some people find the approach I took helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts