Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A car was initially traveling at an average speed of 48 miles per hour [#permalink]
long time reader first time commenter here. I understand how to answer the question. But my question here is why would the first interval be 48 instead of 44 MPH. is there technical wording from the question that I am missing?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: A car was initially traveling at an average speed of 48 miles per hour [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Kjamiru wrote:
long time reader first time commenter here. I understand how to answer the question. But my question here is why would the first interval be 48 instead of 44 MPH. is there technical wording from the question that I am missing?

The wording of the question is a bit suspect.

The car starts out at 48 mph. During each of ten successive 10-minute intervals, the car decreased its average speed by 4 miles per hour. So the average speed starts going down and by the end of the first 10 min interval, it would be 44 mph. I would think that the decrease may be uniform over the interval such that the average speed during the interval is say 46 mph. But we are not given what the average speed during the interval is. The decrease needn't be uniform.

The speed at the start of the 7th interval will be 24 mph and will go down to 20 mph by the end of the 7th interval. The question implies that the speed reduces by 4 mph at the end of the interval.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92918 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts