Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5096 [8]
Given Kudos: 289
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [2]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE:Programming (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A dog is tied to a tree by a long nylon cord. If the dog runs from the [#permalink]
Hi guys!
Sorry, but I still don't get it. Can anyone explain this to me please?

Because I understand it as a dog runs half of the circle, in my mind a cord should be the same length as a semicircle. How come a cord is shorter than a semicircle aka equals to radius? I get how to solve it, I just don't understand the logic. Thank you very much for your help!

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: A dog is tied to a tree by a long nylon cord. If the dog runs from the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
goodyear2013 wrote:
A dog is tied to a tree by a long nylon cord. If the dog runs from the due North side of the tree to the due South side of the tree with the cord extended to its full length at all items, and the dog ran approximately 30 feet, what was the approximate length of the nylon cord, in feet?

A) 30
B) 25
C) 15
D) 10
E) 5

Solution:

Since the nylon cord was extended to its full length at all times, the dog followed a path which is a semicircular arc with a radius equal to the length of the cord. We are given that the dog ran approximately 30 feet, so the circumference of the complete circle is 60 feet.

Since circumference = 𝜋 * d, the diameter of the circle is 60/𝜋, which is approximately 19. Thus, the radius (which equals the length of the cord) is approximately 19/2 = 9.5. Among the answer choices, 10 is the closest one.

Answer: D
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
sophieA
Think of a simple pendulum with a ring at the end of a string. When you are waving the pendulum the ring follows a circular arc and the string has the equivalent function of the rope in this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
i thought dog ran along the diameter from North to South.
But i do not understand that why we should take it as semicircle and not along diameter. Where is this mentioned in the question??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
A dog is tied to a tree by a long nylon cord. If the dog runs from the [#permalink]
The question asks: If half the circumference of the circle is 30, what is the radius.

So 2* pi* r = 60
ie r = 10 (approx)

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by RajdeepGM on 11 Oct 2020, 17:41.
Last edited by RajdeepGM on 11 Oct 2020, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
A dog is tied to a tree by a long nylon cord. If the dog runs from the [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts