Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [97]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [13]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: A new technique for extracting residues of oil from existing [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A new technique for extracting residues of oil from existing oil wells by using lignins, a by-product of papermaking, is profitable provided that oil prices are over 20 dollars a barrel. Since oil prices are rising, investors looking for companies with prospects for rapid growth in profits would be wise to invest in paper manufacturers, whose currently almost worthless by-product will soon be a profit-boosting commodity.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?
(A) A small quantity of lignins are currently sold by paper manufacturers to chemical companies, but most of the lignins produced are burnt as waste. -- strengthen,worthless/waste byproduct can used to refine oil

(B) The 20-dollar-a-barrel oil price as a threshold of profitability for using lignins allows for the increased cost of refining crude oil that has been extracted using lignins. increased costof refining crude oil using lignins. again profit. stenghten

(C) Only one-half to two-thirds of the total oil in a well can be extracted using conventional techniques of pumping and flooding with water. irrelevant - drawbacks of other techniques.

(D) Petroleum-based substances that can be used as a substitute for lignins in extracting oil are costly and are made from oil, and these substances therefore increase in price as oil increases in price. Costly petroleum-based substance cant be compared to worthless by-product.

(E) The quantity of lignins produced annually in the manufacture of paper is several times larger than the amount that is likely to be useful in the oil industry. larger than required, implies only some part is used which cant be profit boosting commodity.

correct me if am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
E it is...

I just began to realize a lot of the CR questions expect the test taker to know some supply and demand concepts. Not sure if the GMAC is tuning its test for business folks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
Send PM
Please explain why E is the answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
A new technique for extracting residues of oil from existing [#permalink]
Bookmarks
siddharthfrancis - usually GMAT does not expect someone to have any prior knowledge of anything, but basic principles are required such as this case. if some product has a huge supply then it cost cant be high. gold has high price cause its supply is restricted. more over demand is very less. if demand would have been high then it can be a debatable topic.

So paper manufacturing cant be a profit-boosting commodity on the grounds that this by product will help someone to have huge profits. Let me know if it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
A is weakening the agreement by stating that the paper manufacturers rather than burning the excess byproduct might as well give it to the oil manufacturer for a similar cost, hence resulting in no drastic increase in the profit of the company. Though E is also weakening the agreement, A can not be neglected.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
HAPPYatHARVARD - problem with A is that it is talking on the lines of demand but not the supply. consider the situation of A but oil companies need a lot of this waste product then this story will be different. This is why A cant be the answer.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
nightblade354 generis VeritasKarishma DavidTutorexamPAL GMATNinja

Can you validate my argument reasoning and PoE?

Quote:
A new technique for extracting residues of oil from existing oil wells by using lignins, a by-product of papermaking, is profitable provided that oil prices are over 20 dollars a barrel. Since oil prices are rising, investors looking for companies with prospects for rapid growth in profits would be wise to invest in paper manufacturers, whose currently almost worthless by-product will soon be a profit-boosting commodity.

Start with a conclusion in a weaken question.
Conclusion: Investors looking for better growth prospects in oil extraction
i.e. with more profitable margins shall be investing in paper manufacturers.

Premise:
A by-product of paper industry: lignin is more profitable to be used for oil extraction and
lignin is a worthless byproduct for paper industry.

Quote:
(A) A small quantity of lignins are currently sold by paper manufacturers to chemical companies, but most of the lignins produced are burnt as waste.

OK, so 1-5 % of lignin is sold to chemical companies by paper manufacturers and 80-90% is burned as waste.
So are we saying that the effective amount of lignin available for chemical companies itself is less.
If demand for lignin is more (higher profitability for oil exraction) and supply is less then cost of
purchase of lignin would go higher. Will not this weaken the argument? More cost paid to lignin
will compensate for the profits earned by using it for efficient oil extraction

Quote:
(B) The 20-dollar-a-barrel oil price as a threshold of profitability for using lignins allows for the increased cost of refining crude oil that has been extracted using lignins.

Totally irrelevant to the argument, This is like saying: the employees in a firm are not performing to their potential.
Well anyways the overall economy is bad, so even their efficient throughput will not help in more profits.

Quote:
(C) Only one-half to two-thirds of the total oil in a well can be extracted using conventional techniques of pumping and flooding with water.

Opposite ans, So I must use similar techniques as lignin to extract more oil.

Quote:
(D) Petroleum-based substances that can be used as a substitute for lignins in extracting oil are costly and are made from oil, and these substances therefore increase in price as oil increases in price.

Why oil prices increase is not my scope of argument at all.

Quote:
(E) The quantity of lignins produced annually in the manufacture of paper is several times larger than the amount that is likely to be useful in the oil industry.

Say paper manufacturers produce: 10 mT of lignin
Oil industry would use: 0.1 mT
I could not comprehend how would this weaken author's claim?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GRE 1: Q167 V163
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
adkikani Since there is some wastage involved in producing the By product 'lignin' therefore such an investment wont be profitable, thereby weakening the logic / Conclusion that Investing in Paper Manufacturing will be profitable.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
adkikani wrote:
Quote:
(E) The quantity of lignins produced annually in the manufacture of paper is several times larger than the amount that is likely to be useful in the oil industry.

Say paper manufacturers produce: 10 mT of lignin
Oil industry would use: 0.1 mT
I could not comprehend how would this weaken author's claim?

Just adding my views (continuing with your calculations)

lignin is a waste product of the paper industry having negligible value , and it is scrapped/ dumped as it doesnt provide any value to the paper industry...

Now, continuing with your calculation, 10 - 0.10 = 9.90mT (99%) of lignin is not used in the new technology...

Thus, we find that there is a net increase in demand for the use of the new technology by 1%, thus this method may not be considered a profitable investment, hence it weakens the argument !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
nusmavrik wrote:

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

Hi respected experts - DmitryFarber / GMATNinja / mikemcgarry,

Apologies in advance if this may sound like a silly doubt :)

In option E, which is the correct answer mentioned here, it is said that the lignins are being made in a much larger quantity than what is useful in the oil industry. At the same time, in the argument, it is mentioned that lignins just are a worthless by-product of the paper industry.

How I thought is - hmm.. so since lignins have no commercial value and even if the investors invest in the industry in which a good chunk of lignins are being wasted, the investors will still see a rise in profit because they will still use at least some lignins that are required in the oil industry and that will soon be a profit-boosting commodity, as the oil prices rise.

Hence, while solving this question, initially I parked option E at the backseat because it didn't make much sense to me in terms of weakening the argument. Can you please help me understand where am I faltering in my reasoning?

Yes, agreed that option E hovers on the line of "this outcome could have been better if the wastage weren't there" but it doesn't feel as if it is weakening the argument by saying something like "investors won't be seeing a rapid rise in the profits".
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos