Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [21]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.83
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2262 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: A school district is organized such that each of its D [#permalink]
Zarrolou wrote:
A school district is organized such that each of its D department heads has exactly T teachers reporting to her, and that each teacher has exactly S students. What is the ratio of students to department heads in this school district?

Number of students= \(D*T*S\)

\(Ratio = \frac{D*T*S}{D}=T*S\)

We are asked what is the number of teacher * number of students per teacher.

(1) T/D=2/1

(2) S/T=4/1

Both statement give us ratios, not the actual number.
Example T=40 D=20 S=160 or T=20 D=10 and S=80. All ratios still are respected but T*S changes.
E

So...the question asks: What is the ratio of students to department heads in this school district?
But you say: Both statement give us ratios, not the actual number.

I'm confused. Since the question asks for a ratio, we provide a ratio. No?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Skag55 wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
A school district is organized such that each of its D department heads has exactly T teachers reporting to her, and that each teacher has exactly S students. What is the ratio of students to department heads in this school district?

(1) T/D=2/1

(2) S/T=4/1

Example T=40 D=20 S=160 or T=20 D=10 and S=80. All ratios still are respected but T*S changes.
E

So...the question asks: What is the ratio of students to department heads in this school district?

We have to rewrite the main question as \(Ratio = \frac{D*T*S}{D}\) or \(T*S\)

As you see now, what we have to find is an "absolute" number, no more a ratio. The real question is "what is the number of teachers*number of students?"

As you see we need values, not ratios to anwer the question, take a look at some examples from my above post to get what I am saying

Hope it' s clear
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
Skag55 wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:

(1) T/D=2/1

(2) S/T=4/1

E

We have to rewrite the main question as \(Ratio = \frac{D*T*S}{D}\) or \(T*S\)

As you see now, what we have to find is an "absolute" number, no more a ratio. The real question is "what is the number of teachers*number of students?"

As you see we need values, not ratios to anwer the question, take a look at some examples from my above post to get what I am saying

Hope it' s clear

Sure, I got that the ration doesn't actually give us any values, I just got lost between the question and the interpretation.
So what I conclude is that it "asks" for a ratio, but it "means" that we need a number. I guess :|
Thanks for the clarification though!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: LBS '16
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
atalpanditgmat wrote:

(1) T/D=2/1
(2) S/T=4/1

Guys,
I still don't understand. I came to the answer in the following way
D/T = 1/2 and T/S = 1/4 therefore D/T/S = 1/2/8. So the ratio of the students to the department heads is 8/1. Where is the mistake?

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
DmitrySavelyev wrote:
atalpanditgmat wrote:

(1) T/D=2/1
(2) S/T=4/1

Guys,
I still don't understand. I came to the answer in the following way
D/T = 1/2 and T/S = 1/4 therefore D/T/S = 1/2/8. So the ratio of the students to the department heads is 8/1. Where is the mistake?

Regards

Further to this, the ratio (which the question asks for) will always be D/S will always be 1/8, whether it's T=40 D=20 S=160 or T=20 D=10 and S=80, the ratio is 1/8. Despite having written that I understand the solution, I don't understand why since we're asked for a ratio, we can't just provide one?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 10-23-2013
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Bunnel,

Why should it be DST as mentioned by Zarrolou?

If we take st 1 and t 2 together we should be able to get the D:S:T ratio as 1:2:8
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619269 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
A school district is organized such that each of its D [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMAT40 wrote:

(1) T/D=2/1
(2) S/T=4/1

Hi Bunnel,

If we take st 1 and t 2 together we should be able to get the D:S:T ratio as 1:2:8

Consider an example: each of its 2 department heads has exactly 3 teachers reporting to her, and that each teacher has exactly 4 students. How many students are there?

There are 2*3=6 teachers, and since each teacher has exactly 4 students, then there are 6*4=24 students.

Does this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
I'm sorry but I still don't follow how the answer is not C...

No matter how I try to change the numbers I always end up with 8:1 for S:D.

If, D=1, then there would be 2 Teachers, and if T=2, then there would be 8 Students. Therefore S:D = 8:1

If, D=4, then there would be 8 Teachers, and if T=8, then there would be 32 Students. Therefore S:D is again 8:1...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619269 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BobbyDE wrote:
I'm sorry but I still don't follow how the answer is not C...

No matter how I try to change the numbers I always end up with 8:1 for S:D.

If, D=1, then there would be 2 Teachers, and if T=2, then there would be 8 Students. Therefore S:D = 8:1

If, D=4, then there would be 8 Teachers, and if T=8, then there would be 32 Students. Therefore S:D is again 8:1...

The point is that T is NOT the total number of teachers. T is the number of teachers reporting to each of the D departments. Hence the total number of teachers is DT.

Similarly, S is NOT the total number of students. S is the number of students each of T teacher has. Hence the total number of students is S*DT.

We need to find the ratio of students to department heads --> SDT/D = ST.

Check here too: a-school-district-is-organized-such-that-each-of-its-d-154681.html#p1270040

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
A school district is organized such that each of its D [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
GMAT40 wrote:
Hi Bunnel,

Consider an example: each of its 2 department heads has exactly 3 teachers reporting to her, and that each teacher has exactly 4 students. How many students are there?

There are 2*3=6 teachers, and since each teacher has exactly 4 students, then there are 6*4=24 students.

Does this make sense?

If there are 6 teachers and 2 department heads as obtained above then the ratio of T/D = 3/1 which is not possible as given in statement 1, T/D= 2/1

SO T/D can be : 2x/1x ( Statement 1 )

and S/T = 4y/1y ( Statement 2 )

when x = 1 then T = 2 and D =1
So putting y = 2 ( to equate teachers ) we get S= 8 ,T= 2 hence S/D= 8/1

when x = 2 then T = 4 and D=2 putting y = 4 we get S= 16, T=4 hence S/D= 16/2 = 8/1

So it seems the ration of S/D is always 8/1 ,

I also feel answer should be C

We need the ratio and also in the examples provided by Zarrolou the ratio of S/D comes to be 8/1

a-school-district-is-organized-such-that-each-of-its-d-154681.html#p1238106

Let me know if I have missed something. Thanks.

Originally posted by qlx on 28 Jun 2014, 05:59.
Last edited by qlx on 30 Jun 2014, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619269 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
qlx wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
GMAT40 wrote:
Hi Bunnel,

Does this make sense?

If there are 6 teachers and 2 department heads as obtained above then the ratio of T/D = 3/1 which is not possible as given in statement 1, T/D= 2/1

SO T/D can be : 2x/1x ( Statement 1 )

and S/T = 4y/1y ( Statement 2 )

when x = 1 then T = 2
So putting y = 2 ( to equate teachers ) we get S= 8 hence S/D= 8/1

when x = 2 then T = 4 putting y = 4 we get S= 16 hence S/D= 16/2 = 8/1

So it seems the ration of S/D is always 8/1 ,

I also feel answer should be C

We need the ratio and also in the examples provided by Zarrolou the ratio of S/D comes to be 8/1

a-school-district-is-organized-such-that-each-of-its-d-154681.html#p1238106

Let me know if I have missed something. Thanks.

First of all example (numbers) in my post is to explain the stem and has nothing to do with the statements.

Next, when we combine the statements we get that T:D:S = 2:1:8. We need to find the value of ST. How are you going to do that knowing only that T:S = 2:8?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.79
WE:Law (Consulting)
Send PM
Combining both statements you get the ration of students to teachers. Isn't it what the question is asking? Why the hell we need S*T?

Both statements combined give you that the ratio of students to dep. heads is 8. If this is not the answer, then the question is very poorly worded.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
khumoyuns wrote:
Combining both statements you get the ration of students to teachers. Isn't it what the question is asking? Why the hell we need S*T?

Both statements combined give you that the ratio of students to dep. heads is 8. If this is not the answer, then the question is very poorly worded.

It's very tempting, reading the question here, to think it's asking for the ratio of S to D. But S is not the number of students in this school district. S is only the number of students per teacher. If there are D departments, and each department has T teachers, there are D*T teachers in total. If each teacher has S students, then there are D*T*S students in total. So the ratio the question is asking for is the ratio of D*T*S to D, or dividing by D, the ratio of T*S to 1, so we'd need the value of T*S to answer the question, and we can't find that from the Statements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
What is the ratio of students to department heads in this school district?
E[/quote]

in both the example the ratio is 8:1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
khumoyuns wrote:

It's very tempting, reading the question here, to think it's asking for the ratio of S to D. But S is not the number of students in this school district. S is only the number of students per teacher. If there are D departments, and each department has T teachers, there are D*T teachers in total. If each teacher has S students, then there are D*T*S students in total. So the ratio the question is asking for is the ratio of D*T*S to D, or dividing by D, the ratio of T*S to 1, so we'd need the value of T*S to answer the question, and we can't find that from the Statements.

First statement can be interpreted as - For each department head, there are 2 teachers.
Second statement can be interpreted as - For each teacher, there are 4 students.
These statements can be combined to arrive at the conclusion that - For each department head, there are 8 students. Giving the concerned ratio as - 1:8.
I am not able to see the fault in my logic. Please explain if possible.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts