Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [6]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [2]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal [#permalink]
Bold part is reason on which argument is based.on this reason the conclusion holds that members will produce at high rate.

Premise is used for reason so C is correct

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) It expresses a view that the argument as a whole is designed to discredit. - The argument doesn't discredit the stated view

(B) It is the argument's main conclusion. - Main conclusion is "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait"

(C) It is a premise of the argument. - Correct.

(D) It presents evidence that the argument attempts to undermine. - Same as A.

(E) It is an intermediate conclusion of the argument. - The bolded part is more of a premise on which the conclusion is based. So, cannot be an intermediate conclusion.

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Vyshak wrote:
(A) It expresses a view that the argument as a whole is designed to discredit. - The argument doesn't discredit the stated view

(B) It is the argument's main conclusion. - Main conclusion is "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait"

(E) It is an intermediate conclusion of the argument. - The bolded part is more of a premise on which the conclusion is based. So, cannot be an intermediate conclusion.

Hey Vyshak,

I disagree with you on main conclusion part. IMO, "A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long" is the main conclusion.

If Intermediate Conclusion supports the Main conclusion, then we can say that "Main conclusion because Intermediate conclusion."

Here, we can say that A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long because some members crowd out those with the maladaptive trait.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [0]
Send PM
Since there is enough genetic variation in populations that some members will lack the trait, a seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long.

Then the argument goes on to explain about the members that lack the trait and arrives at the conclusion "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait".

I don't think that connecting the survival and reproductive ability of the members lacking the trait contributes to the genetic variation stated in the premise of the first statement.

For me, first appears to be a fact. The argument builds on that fact and we finally see a main conclusion in the last statement of the argument.

PP777 wrote:
Vyshak wrote:

Hey Vyshak,

I disagree with you on main conclusion part. IMO, "A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long" is the main conclusion.

If Intermediate Conclusion supports the Main conclusion, then we can say that "Main conclusion because Intermediate conclusion."

Here, we can say that A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long because some members crowd out those with the maladaptive trait.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Send PM
Hey abhimahna,

Need your input on the main conclusion part.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Send PM
A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
PP777 wrote:
Hey abhimahna,

Hey PP777 ,

I agree with you. The first sentence "A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long" is the main conclusion of the argument and the last statement "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait." is the intermediate conclusion.

Vyshak bro, Author said a particular trait is unlikely to persist and then it shows why is that so. The last sentence is actually the reason for the unlikelihood by saying since the competition is so much that we aren't able to maintain that trait.

TaN1213 wrote:
I agree that C is correct but why can't it also be termed as an intermediate conclusion?

Hey TaN1213 ,

Intermediate conclusion also acts as a premise to the main conclusion. Hence either ways is fine.

But C is not the intermediate conclusion while "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait." is an intermediate conclusion. :)

Let me know if anyone has further questions. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
PP777 wrote:
Hey abhimahna,

Hey PP777 ,

I agree with you. The first sentence "A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long" is the main conclusion of the argument and the last statement "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait." is the intermediate conclusion.

Vyshak bro, Author said a particular trait is unlikely to persist and then it shows why is that so. The last sentence is actually the reason for the unlikelihood by saying since the competition is so much that we aren't able to maintain that trait.

TaN1213 wrote:
I agree that C is correct but why can't it also be termed as an intermediate conclusion?

Hey TaN1213 ,

Intermediate conclusion also acts as a premise to the main conclusion. Hence either ways is fine.

Thanks abhimahna :) Such a relief :crazy:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:

TaN1213 wrote:

Hey TaN1213 ,

Hello,

Yeah, that's what I was holding on to. In that case Even E is correct, leading us to 2 possible correct answer to the question. Shouldn't either of C or E have been given in options?

Thanks!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
TaN1213 wrote:
Hello,

Yeah, that's what I was holding on to. In that case Even E is correct, leading us to 2 possible correct answer to the question. Shouldn't either of C or E have been given in options?

Thanks!

Hey TaN1213 ,

Sorry, if I confused you. Probably, I didn't read your question properly.

The statement "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.: is the intermediate conclusion while the bolded statement is the premise.

Hence, E is incorrect. Bolded statement isn't an intermediate conclusion.

Note that an intermediate conclusion is always a premise while the converse is not true.

I hope that makes sense! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!

Hey TaN1213 ,

Sorry, if I confused you. Probably, I didn't read your question properly.

The statement "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.: is the intermediate conclusion while the bolded statement is the premise.

Hence, E is incorrect. Bolded statement isn't an intermediate conclusion.

Note that an intermediate conclusion is always a premise while the converse is not true.

I hope that makes sense! :)

Oh Okay.
It makes much more sense now. Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [0]
Send PM
Got it. Thanks abhimahna and PP777 :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long, since there is enough genetic variation in populations that some members will lack the trait. Those lacking the trait will compete more successfully for the available resources. Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.

The proposition that those lacking a maladaptive trait will compete more successfully for the available resources figures in the argument in which one of the following ways?

(A) It expresses a view that the argument as a whole is designed to discredit.
(B) It is the argument's main conclusion.
(C) It is a premise of the argument.
(D) It presents evidence that the argument attempts to undermine.
(E) It is an intermediate conclusion of the argument.

1. There is nothing to undermine here ---> A, D are out.
2. It can not be the main conclusion.
The main conclusion: Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.
Ok, even it is: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long
Anyway B is out.
3. In my opinion intermediate conclusion - it is something independent from the main conclusion.
But here the boldpart gives us an information that allows us to make a conclusion: Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait
Hence it is the premise, option C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts