GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 21:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3622
Premium Member Reviews Badge
A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 01:12
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:45) correct 35% (01:44) wrong based on 225 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long, since there is enough genetic variation in populations that some members will lack the trait. Those lacking the trait will compete more successfully for the available resources. Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.

The proposition that those lacking a maladaptive trait will compete more successfully for the available resources figures in the argument in which one of the following ways?

(A) It expresses a view that the argument as a whole is designed to discredit.
(B) It is the argument's main conclusion.
(C) It is a premise of the argument.
(D) It presents evidence that the argument attempts to undermine.
(E) It is an intermediate conclusion of the argument.

_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Apr 2018
Posts: 105
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 01:27
1
Main conclusion- A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long

Premise- 1. Since there is enough genetic variation in populations that some members will lack the trait.
2. Those lacking the trait will compete more successfully for the available resources.

Intermediate conclusion- Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.

Correct Answer- C
_________________

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 527
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 01:54
abhimahna wrote:
A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long, since there is enough genetic variation in populations that some members will lack the trait. Those lacking the trait will compete more successfully for the available resources. Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.

The proposition that those lacking a maladaptive trait will compete more successfully for the available resources figures in the argument in which one of the following ways?

(A) It expresses a view that the argument as a whole is designed to discredit.
(B) It is the argument's main conclusion.
(C) It is a premise of the argument.
(D) It presents evidence that the argument attempts to undermine.
(E) It is an intermediate conclusion of the argument.



I agree that C is correct but why can't it also be termed as an intermediate conclusion?
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Oct 2017
Posts: 649
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 02:49
Bold part is reason on which argument is based.on this reason the conclusion holds that members will produce at high rate.

Premise is used for reason so C is correct

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Give kudos if you like the post

SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1693
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 23:05
(A) It expresses a view that the argument as a whole is designed to discredit. - The argument doesn't discredit the stated view

(B) It is the argument's main conclusion. - Main conclusion is "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait"

(C) It is a premise of the argument. - Correct.

(D) It presents evidence that the argument attempts to undermine. - Same as A.

(E) It is an intermediate conclusion of the argument. - The bolded part is more of a premise on which the conclusion is based. So, cannot be an intermediate conclusion.

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Apr 2018
Posts: 105
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 23:31
1
Vyshak wrote:
(A) It expresses a view that the argument as a whole is designed to discredit. - The argument doesn't discredit the stated view

(B) It is the argument's main conclusion. - Main conclusion is "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait"

(C) It is a premise of the argument. - Correct.

(D) It presents evidence that the argument attempts to undermine. - Same as A.

(E) It is an intermediate conclusion of the argument. - The bolded part is more of a premise on which the conclusion is based. So, cannot be an intermediate conclusion.

Answer: C


Hey Vyshak,

I disagree with you on main conclusion part. IMO, "A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long" is the main conclusion.

If Intermediate Conclusion supports the Main conclusion, then we can say that "Main conclusion because Intermediate conclusion."

Here, we can say that A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long because some members crowd out those with the maladaptive trait.

Correct me if I am wrong.
_________________

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1693
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 00:27
Since there is enough genetic variation in populations that some members will lack the trait, a seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long.

Then the argument goes on to explain about the members that lack the trait and arrives at the conclusion "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait".

I don't think that connecting the survival and reproductive ability of the members lacking the trait contributes to the genetic variation stated in the premise of the first statement.

For me, first appears to be a fact. The argument builds on that fact and we finally see a main conclusion in the last statement of the argument.

PP777 wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
(A) It expresses a view that the argument as a whole is designed to discredit. - The argument doesn't discredit the stated view

(B) It is the argument's main conclusion. - Main conclusion is "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait"

(C) It is a premise of the argument. - Correct.

(D) It presents evidence that the argument attempts to undermine. - Same as A.

(E) It is an intermediate conclusion of the argument. - The bolded part is more of a premise on which the conclusion is based. So, cannot be an intermediate conclusion.

Answer: C


Hey Vyshak,

I disagree with you on main conclusion part. IMO, "A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long" is the main conclusion.

If Intermediate Conclusion supports the Main conclusion, then we can say that "Main conclusion because Intermediate conclusion."

Here, we can say that A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long because some members crowd out those with the maladaptive trait.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Apr 2018
Posts: 105
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 01:00
Hey abhimahna,

Need your input on the main conclusion part.
_________________

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3622
Premium Member Reviews Badge
A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 01:07
1
PP777 wrote:
Hey abhimahna,

Need your input on the main conclusion part.


Hey PP777 ,

I agree with you. The first sentence "A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long" is the main conclusion of the argument and the last statement "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait." is the intermediate conclusion.

Vyshak bro, Author said a particular trait is unlikely to persist and then it shows why is that so. The last sentence is actually the reason for the unlikelihood by saying since the competition is so much that we aren't able to maintain that trait.

TaN1213 wrote:
I agree that C is correct but why can't it also be termed as an intermediate conclusion?


Hey TaN1213 ,

Intermediate conclusion also acts as a premise to the main conclusion. Hence either ways is fine.

But C is not the intermediate conclusion while "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait." is an intermediate conclusion. :)

Let me know if anyone has further questions. :)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Apr 2018
Posts: 105
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 01:23
abhimahna wrote:
PP777 wrote:
Hey abhimahna,

Need your input on the main conclusion part.


Hey PP777 ,

I agree with you. The first sentence "A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long" is the main conclusion of the argument and the last statement "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait." is the intermediate conclusion.

Vyshak bro, Author said a particular trait is unlikely to persist and then it shows why is that so. The last sentence is actually the reason for the unlikelihood by saying since the competition is so much that we aren't able to maintain that trait.

TaN1213 wrote:
I agree that C is correct but why can't it also be termed as an intermediate conclusion?


Hey TaN1213 ,

Intermediate conclusion also acts as a premise to the main conclusion. Hence either ways is fine.

Let me know if anyone has further questions. :)


Thanks abhimahna :) Such a relief :crazy:
_________________

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 527
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 01:23
abhimahna wrote:

TaN1213 wrote:
I agree that C is correct but why can't it also be termed as an intermediate conclusion?


Hey TaN1213 ,

Intermediate conclusion also acts as a premise to the main conclusion. Hence either ways is fine.

Let me know if anyone has further questions. :)


Hello,

Yeah, that's what I was holding on to. In that case Even E is correct, leading us to 2 possible correct answer to the question. Shouldn't either of C or E have been given in options?

Thanks!
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3622
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 01:30
TaN1213 wrote:
Hello,

Yeah, that's what I was holding on to. In that case Even E is correct, leading us to 2 possible correct answer to the question. Shouldn't either of C or E have been given in options?

Thanks!


Hey TaN1213 ,

Sorry, if I confused you. Probably, I didn't read your question properly.

The statement "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.: is the intermediate conclusion while the bolded statement is the premise.

Hence, E is incorrect. Bolded statement isn't an intermediate conclusion.

Note that an intermediate conclusion is always a premise while the converse is not true.

I hope that makes sense! :)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 527
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 01:40
abhimahna wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
Hello,

Yeah, that's what I was holding on to. In that case Even E is correct, leading us to 2 possible correct answer to the question. Shouldn't either of C or E have been given in options?

Thanks!


Hey TaN1213 ,

Sorry, if I confused you. Probably, I didn't read your question properly.

The statement "Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.: is the intermediate conclusion while the bolded statement is the premise.

Hence, E is incorrect. Bolded statement isn't an intermediate conclusion.

Note that an intermediate conclusion is always a premise while the converse is not true.

I hope that makes sense! :)

Oh Okay.
It makes much more sense now. Thanks!
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1693
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 18:03
Got it. Thanks abhimahna and PP777 :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 341
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 16:38
abhimahna wrote:
A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long, since there is enough genetic variation in populations that some members will lack the trait. Those lacking the trait will compete more successfully for the available resources. Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.

The proposition that those lacking a maladaptive trait will compete more successfully for the available resources figures in the argument in which one of the following ways?

(A) It expresses a view that the argument as a whole is designed to discredit.
(B) It is the argument's main conclusion.
(C) It is a premise of the argument.
(D) It presents evidence that the argument attempts to undermine.
(E) It is an intermediate conclusion of the argument.


1. There is nothing to undermine here ---> A, D are out.
2. It can not be the main conclusion.
The main conclusion: Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait.
Ok, even it is: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal population for long
Anyway B is out.
3. In my opinion intermediate conclusion - it is something independent from the main conclusion.
But here the boldpart gives us an information that allows us to make a conclusion: Hence these members of the population survive and reproduce at a higher rate, crowding out those with the maladaptive trait
Hence it is the premise, option C
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal &nbs [#permalink] 19 Sep 2018, 16:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A seriously maladaptive trait is unlikely to persist in a given animal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.