Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2544 [57]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [25]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: Absenteeism among employees has decreased steadily over the past sever [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GetThisDone wrote:
Absenteeism among employees has decreased steadily over the past several years. Two possible explanations have been offered. First, improved health insurance has allowed employees to maintain better health. Second, improved working conditions have improved morale, leading to less desire to avoid work. However, since absenteeism has also decreased at companies with poor or no health insurance and poor working conditions, one must conclude that the cause of the decrease is the increased tendency of employers to deduct missed days from employees’ paychecks.

Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning above?

(A) Employees who lack health insurance often have low morale.

(B) Companies with poor working conditions are most likely to deduct pay for missed work days

(C) Most employees are not honest about the reasons that they miss work

(D) The definition of absenteeism is not clear

(E) Improved health care, improved working conditions, and fear of losing money are not the only possible explanations for decreased absenteeism

Main CR Qs link - Main link - https://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-qs-600-700 ... 31508.html

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The conclusion is that the cause of the lower rate of absenteeism is fear of losing money. The basis for that claim is that two other possible explanations – improved health insurance and improved working conditions – are not present in every case. This argument falsely assumes, however, that these three factors are the only possible explanations.

(A) This answer choice does not address the fact that there may be other factors causing absenteeism to go down. If anything, it simply strengthens the idea that not having health insurance should contribute to more absenteeism.

(B) This answer choice does not address the fact that there may be other factors causing absenteeism to go down. Furthermore, the argument concludes that absenteeism has gone done across the board, for all types of companies and that the reason is fear of reduced pay. This choice seems to suggest that somehow that this fear is more of an issue for those companies with poor working conditions.

(C) Employees being honest about the reasons they miss work has little to do with the claim of the argument about why employees are missing work. The premises cited to do not rely on employee disclosure.

(D) The definition of absenteeism has little to do with the explanation of why it is occurring. Furthermore, there seems to be little ambiguity here with the definition.

(E) CORRECT. This addresses the argument's primary assumption that these three are the only possible explanations for absenteeism.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Re: Absenteeism among employees has decreased steadily over the past sever [#permalink]
Hello LogicGuru1,

Sorry for the dumb question, but the difference between the fallacy of False Dictomy and the fallacy of Causal Oversimplification is that the former accepts 2 reasons and the latter accepts only 1?

I didn't really get the difference between the two of them.

Thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [5]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos