Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:43 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mck2023 wrote:
Hi Experts (GMATNinja egmat CrackVerbal )
Isn't the option B ambiguous?
B) expansion and human appropriation of Earth's finite resources are...
Can't it be interpreted as 'human expansion of Earth's finite resources....and human appropriation of Earth's finite resources are....'? If yes, it would be highly illogical. Please correct me, I may have gone wrong in my understanding.
I chose D as I eliminated option B for this reason.
Thank you!!

Hello Mck2023,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can resolve your doubt.

As MartyTargetTestPrep has said, if the meaning of a sentence can be interpreted correctly or incorrectly, the correct meaning takes precedence. More importantly, on the GMAT you must look for the best among the given answer choices, not a perfect answer choice. An answer choice with a potential ambiguity in meaning clearly wins out over other answer choices with concrete grammatical errors or more obvious distortions of meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mck2023 wrote:
Can't it be interpreted as 'human expansion of Earth's finite resources....and human appropriation of Earth's finite resources are....'? If yes, it would be highly illogical. Please correct me, I may have gone wrong in my understanding.
Thank you!!

Your interpretation would only make sense if the preposition "of" had been included in both elements of the parallel construction. If, for instance, you'd seen, "human expansion of and human appropriation of Earth's finite resources," you could assume that whatever came after "appropriation of" would also apply to "human expansion of." Otherwise that first "of" isn't doing anything!

But that's not what we get. Instead, we see "human expansion and human appropriation of Earth's finite resources." Why would we retroactively apply "of" to "human expansion" if it would create an illogical meaning?

In (D), the pronoun "their" has no logical antecedent. The only plural noun "their" could refer to is "scientists." And while scientists may have their shortcomings, I'm pretty sure no one has ever accused them of appropriating the earth's finite resources. :) So (D) is out.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Mck2023 wrote:
Thank you!!

GMATNinja, @experts global, and @MartyTargetTest prep have all rightly addressed your query.

However, we would still like to reiterate the approach to solving GMAT SC questions.
On the GMAT, we have to pick the best option among the five options. Logic and grammar are tools that can help us get to the right answer. Eliminate all answer choices that have grammatical errors (options A, C, and E) or that conveys an illogical meaning ( Option D- as “their” cannot refer to scientists)
If we don’t follow the right approach, our task can get all the more tedious and time-consuming. We would always advise on sticking to the easier and more efficient approach that can make life (read GMAT) easy. All the best :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1617
Send PM
Hi,

I am still not clear with how cause is correct here? Experts, please help.

Thanks
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankitapugalia wrote:
Hi,

I am still not clear with how cause is correct here? Experts, please help.

Thanks

Hello ankitapugalia,

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

In this context, "cause" serves as a noun that refers to "something that produces an effect". Thus, the meaning the sentence conveys is that human expansion and human appropriation of Earth's finite resources are together what may produce the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [3]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
RSP92 wrote:
daagh GMATNinja
Would be great to have your thoughts on this.
I am still not clear with how a compound subject can be followed by "are" and then "the cause" instead of "the causes"?

Ex: Sugar and chocolate are the main components of the dish.
(or the above example is also incorrect and it should be "component" instead of "components")

Thanks!

When a sentence has more than one subject per verb, those subjects form a compound subject. Compound subjects can be singular, plural, or a mix of both:

TWO SINGULAR: The dog and the cat bother me.
TWO PLURAL: The dogs and the cats bother me.
ONE SINGULAR, ONE PLURAL: The dog and cats bother me.

Compound subjects can also be joined by "and," "or" (sometimes "either...or"), and "nor" (sometimes "neither...nor"):

The dog and the cat...
(Either) The dog or the cat...
(Neither) The dog nor the cat...

Deciding which verb to use can be tricky. Here are the general rules:

1. A compound subject whose parts are joined by and usually takes a plural verb regardless of whether those parts are plural or singular:

TWO SINGULAR: The dog and the cat bother me.
TWO PLURAL: The dogs and cats fight all the time.
ONE SINGULAR, ONE PLURAL: Joe and the kids need me.

2. A compound subject made up of two singular parts that are joined by or or nor takes a singular verb:

(Either) James or John knows who is coming to the party.
(Neither) James nor John knows who is coming to the party.

3. A compound subject made up of one singular part and one plural part that are joined by or or nor must use a verb whose number matches the number of the part of the subject that is closest to the verb:

CORRECT: (Either) The dog or the kids were making a racket downstairs. [kids were...]
CORRECT: (Either) The kids or the dog was making a racket downstairs. [dog was...]
INCORRECT: (Either) The dog or the kids was making a racket downstairs.
INCORRECT: (Either) The kids or the dog were making a racket downstairs.

CORRECT: (Neither) Joe nor the kids want pizza. [kids want...]
CORRECT: (Neither) The kids nor Joe wants pizza. [Joe wants...]
INCORRECT: (Neither) Joe nor the kids wants pizza.
INCORRECT: (Neither) The kids nor Joe want pizza.

There are two exceptions to these rules.

Exception 1. When the parts of a compound subject are joined by "and" but are generally thought to be a single unit, they take a singular verb, not a plural verb:

CORRECT: Peanut butter and jelly is my favorite.
INCORRECT: Peanut butter and jelly are my favorite.
CORRECT: Two and two equals four.
INCORRECT: Two and two equal four.

Exception 2. When the parts of a compound subject are joined by "and" but the subject is modified by the words "each" or "every", the subject takes a singular verb, not a plural verb:

CORRECT: Every boy and girl gets a merit certificate. [every boy gets...every girl gets]
INCORRECT: Every boy and girl get a merit certificate.
CORRECT: Each business and restaurant has to display a business license. [each business has to...each restaurant has to...]
INCORRECT: Each business and restaurant have to display a business license.

Hope the above examples clarify the subject-verb agreement that compound subject can take depending on the nature of compound subject and coordinating conjunction used.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Quote:
According to scientists, human expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources is the cause of what may be the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

E) expansion, along with its appropriation of Earth's finite resources, are 

Hello Experts,

Am I missing anything?
Thanks__

Yes, your are missing something. You need a referent for "its," and that version lacks one, because "human" is not a noun in that context. It's an adjective modifying "expansion," and "expansion" would not have "appropriation of Earth's finite resources."

Hello Marty
MartyTargetTestPrep

May I ask a doubt please ?
I chose A, thinking that it is an inverted sentence and that a singular verb is needed.
How I read this sentence was - > According to scientists, the cause of what may be the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago is "human expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources ".
My thought flow at that time - cause not causes, so you definitely need a singular verb. Only uneasiness was 'and the human...'. this 'the' was not making sense but i chose to override that.

understand now, everyone has written it should be plural. however, I need your expert view in above context.
Sorry for the trouble, Marty.

Rgds..
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
750Barrier wrote:

Hello Marty
MartyTargetTestPrep

May I ask a doubt please ?
I chose A, thinking that it is an inverted sentence and that a singular verb is needed.
How I read this sentence was - > According to scientists, the cause of what may be the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago is "human expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources ".
My thought flow at that time - cause not causes, so you definitely need a singular verb. Only uneasiness was 'and the human...'. this 'the' was not making sense but i chose to override that.

understand now, everyone has written it should be plural. however, I need your expert view in above context.
Sorry for the trouble, Marty.

Rgds..

Hello 750Barrier,

To answer your query, in Option A "human expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources" is one, plural verb phrase due to the use of the conjunction "and"; remember, two singular nouns joined by "and" form a plural noun phrase. What the sentence is saying is that these two things, together, are the singular cause of what may be the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

To understand the concept of "And" vs Other Conjunctions on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation [#permalink]
"along with" is an preposition, not a conjunction, so, the noun preceding "along with" do not take plural

prepositional phrase can be noun modifier, noun complement , adjective complement, subject complement, object complements and many other. but we can think that prepositional phrase can work as adjective or adverb for simplicity.

I think "comma+along with..." work as an adverb modifying the verb in choice E because it is meaningless if this phrase work as adjective modify the preceding now even if there is no comma before this phrase.

I , along with you, learn gmat. How do I learn English ?. I learn with you.

so, singular verb is required in choice E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Read all the comments but still can't wrap my head around the correctness of "are the cause". Any detailed explanation is appreciated.
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Read all the comments but still can't wrap my head around the correctness of "are the cause". Any detailed explanation is appreciated.

Hello Namangupta1997,

To answer your query, "human expansion and the human appropriation" is a plural noun phrase, necessitating the use of "are", because two singular nouns joined by "and" form a plural noun phrase.

Further, the intended meaning here is that the human expansion of Earth's finite resources and the human appropriation of the same, collectively form a singular cause of the "wave of species extinctions".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja, egmat,

According to scientists, human expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources is the cause of what may be the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

A) expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources is

B) expansion and human appropriation of Earth's finite resources are

C) expansion and its appropriation of Earth's finite resources is

D) expansion, along with their appropriation of Earth's finite resources, is

E) expansion, along with its appropriation of Earth's finite resources, are 

I request some clarification with my doubts. Kindly help

In option D and E -->
1. Does the usage of 'along with' in the sentence construction imply that
'human expansion' is the main reason, while 'human appropriation' is a secondary(less important)
reason for the cause of extinction?
2. Also even though 'human' in the 'human expansion' is singular though but is not a noun, rather an adjective
and hence its can't be used to refer to it, since it is not a noun in the first place.
3. With the usage of 'along with', should the verb be 'are' or 'is' ?

Looking forward to hear from you :)

Regards,
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM