GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2020, 21:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:07) correct 29% (01:22) wrong based on 1174 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to scientists, human expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources is the cause of what may be the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

A) expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources is

B) expansion and human appropriation of Earth's finite resources are

C) expansion and its appropriation of Earth's finite resources is

D) expansion, along with their appropriation of Earth's finite resources, is

E) expansion, along with its appropriation of Earth's finite resources, are 

SC61940.02

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

BLACK LIVES MATTER.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
P
Schools: Sloan '22, ISB'21, IIM
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 4
Premium Member
Re: According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2020, 01:15
Ans: B

A) expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources is; expansion and the human appropriation is not parallel and use of verb is for compound noun is not correct

B) expansion and human appropriation of Earth's finite resources are; human expansion and human appropriation are parallel, use of verb are is correct

C) expansion and its appropriation of Earth's finite resources is; compound noun requires verb are

D) expansion, along with their appropriation of Earth's finite resources, is; their doesn't have antecedent

E) expansion, along with its appropriation of Earth's finite resources, are ; verb are is incorrect - human expansion along with its appropriation requires singular verb
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: IMD '21
Re: According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2020, 02:54
generis wrote:
According to scientists, human expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources is the cause of what may be the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

SC61940.02

X and Y are the cause is correct. X and Y is.. is incorrect. since compound subjects are plural ( X and Y)
So we can eliminate A and C.

D has pronoun their which has no referrant
E has pronoun its=human expansion's (appropriation) which creates a illogical mess

B is the best option among all.(eliminating all errors in other options)

Pls. HIT KUDOS. :)
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2020, 04:19

Is is incorrect -> “expansion and the human appropriation” requires are

Best of all.

Is is incorrect -> “expansion and the human appropriation” requires are.
Its has no antecedent.

There is ambiguous here. What is it referring to – Scientists or human? Pronoun ambiguity isn’t a rule on GMAT but we have a better and less ambiguous option B.
Also, this choice is making the second reason secondary by using “along…” . The main sentence mentions both as equally responsible.

Are is incorrect here. “Human Expansion along with…..” is singular.
Its has no antecedent.
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2020, 05:47
MentorTutoring AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

Quote:

How can are match with singular cause? Do we not need causes?

Quote:

Along with X always makes a subject singular.
Also their refers to scientists.

Can you advise where did I falter?

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Tutor
V

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2020, 08:31
Hello again, adkikani. There can be multiple factors that can contribute to the cause of something, and in this sentence, we have two such factors, conveniently joined by and: 1) human expansion; and 2) human appropriation. Choice (B) agrees the compound subject of A and B with the plural verb are. In choice (D), their refers incorrectly to human beings, or just humans. But of course, the sentence says human, so the pronoun their is inappropriate. If, as you contend, their refers instead to scientists, then we have a real problem in the expression of vital meaning. Are we to understand that because scientists are appropriating natural resources, mass extinctions are occurring? Those meddling scientists!

I hope that helps clarify your issues with this one. If not, feel free to press further.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
G
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2020, 08:37
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

adkikani Good questions!

B: It's good that you notice that "cause" is singular. The plural compound subject must match the plural verb, but "cause" does not. To give some other examples:

The crimes are the cause of fear.
The crimes are the problem.

D: Based on the intended meaning, does "their" refer to scientists? Is it just the scientists' appropriation of Earth's resources? Or are we talking about "human appropriation", in general?
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2020, 09:50
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

adkikani
Here 'cause' is not a verb. I see it acting more like noun - the reason/cause is 'human expansion and the human appropriation'. Hope i got what you asked for.
'Are' is used for plural noun 'human expansion and the human appropriation'.
D
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 17:14
generis wrote:

The word "cause" is the direct object of the sentence (apologies for the fancy grammar language). "Cause" is not the subject nor the verb.

We have a compound subject, therefore we need a plural verb. Eliminate A, C, and D.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

"Genuine learning is impossible without curiosity." - Naval
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2020, 16:29
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello adkikani,

Although you did not ask for my intervention, here I am with my explanation. :-)

Yes, the sentence mentions two factors human expansion and the human appropriation that are leading to probably the most sweeping wave of species extinctions. However, the usage of the word "cause" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence clarifies that these two factors are compound. They act together to lead to the effect the sentence mentions. Hence, the usage of the singular noun "the cause". The usage is correct.

Your analysis of Choice D is correct.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2020, 18:41
Is not it the sentence in inverted sentence structure?

The cause( of what may be the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago) is human expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources

Should C be an answer, please clarify?

E.g.: Making things even more difficult has been general market inactivity lately.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 05:06
daagh GMATNinja
Would be great to have your thoughts on this.
I am still not clear with how a compound subject can be followed by "are" and then "the cause" instead of "the causes"?

Ex: Sugar and chocolate are the main components of the dish.
(or the above example is also incorrect and it should be "component" instead of "components")

Thanks!
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 08:52
Top Contributor
1. A compound subject connected by and is 100% plural; That is a basic English rule.
What appears after the verb, whether 'is' or 'are', happens to be the object of the verb as you see in this case. Objects do not decide the nature of the verb of the same clause.

The excellent high-end materials that you gave me were, in fact, the drivers of my performance that I added the extra marks to my score
Arjun - 919884544509 / newnaren@gmail.com
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 09:01
sushilr wrote:
Is not it the sentence in inverted sentence structure?

The cause( of what may be the most sweeping wave of species extinctions since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago) is human expansion and the human appropriation of Earth's finite resources

Should C be an answer, please clarify?

E.g.: Making things even more difficult has been general market inactivity lately.

Hello sushilr,
Thank you for the query. :-)

In the inverted Subject-Verb structure, the verb appears before the subject. Technically, the sentence starts with the verb rather than the subject. But that is certainly not the case with this sentence. The sentence simply wants to say that A and B are the cause for C. This is the correct structure.

Choice B correctly takes the plural verb are for the plural subject human expansion and human appropriation. Choice C repeats the SV number agreement error of Choice A.

Please note that in the other official sentence that you have mentioned in your post, the singular subject for the verb has been is Making things even more difficult. This sentence does not have an inverted SV structure.

Thanks.
Shraddha
B
WE: General Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 06:44
egmat wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello adkikani,

Although you did not ask for my intervention, here I am with my explanation. :-)

Yes, the sentence mentions two factors human expansion and the human appropriation that are leading to probably the most sweeping wave of species extinctions. However, the usage of the word "cause" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence clarifies that these two factors are compound. They act together to lead to the effect the sentence mentions. Hence, the usage of the singular noun "the cause". The usage is correct.

Your analysis of Choice D is correct.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha, egmat

Had a query, in option E, if we change "are" to "is", does it make the sentence correct? Basically, I wanted to understand is the usage of "its" as a pronoun in this case correct?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2020, 21:38
A , C and D are eliminated because of "is".

in E - along with makes it look like it's a singular subject so is should've been used.

Hence B.
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 01:20
in choice A, "the" is also incorrect. "the" makes two elements unparallel.
two items connected by "and" and take singular verb if we consider them one thing. "the" helps us avoid this hard case.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 21:49

In A, "human expansion and the human appropriation........" is the subject. Subject is plural. Verb "is" is singular. Singular-plural mismatch. Eliminate A

In C, "human expansion and it's appropriation........" is the subject. Subject is plural. Verb "is" is singular. Singular-plural mismatch. Eliminate C

In D, pronoun "their" does not have any antecedent...Eliminate

In E, Subject "human expansion" is singular and verb "are" is plural...Singular-plural mismatch...Eliminate E.

Hence, B is the correct answer
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2020, 12:11
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one thing at a time, and narrow down our options quickly so we know how to answer questions like this when they pop up on the GMAT! To begin, let's take a quick look at the question and highlight any major differences between the options in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, we have 2 main differences we can focus on:

1. and the / and / and its / along with their / along with its (Construction & Pronouns)
2. is / are (Agreement)

Since #2 on our list is a clear either/or split, let’s start there! No matter which one we choose, we’ll eliminate 2-3 options rather quickly! How many different causes do scientists cite as causing species extinction? Two! Let’s make sure that the verb we choose reflects the plural antecedent:

We can eliminate options A, C, & D because they all use the singular “is” to refer to 2 causes, which doesn’t match up. Now that we have our options narrowed down to only 2, let’s tackle #1 on our list:

This is our CORRECT choice! The meaning is concise and clear, the correct verb “are” matches the plural antecedent, and there are no vague pronouns.

This is INCORRECT because the pronoun “its” is too vague. It’s not clear what “its” is referring to. Even if it were referring to “humans,” that’s a plural term and should therefore use a plural pronoun anyway!

There you have it - option B is our winner! By focusing on the either/or split first, we were able to eliminate several options, giving us more time to focus on more complex grammatical issues!

Don’t study for the GMAT. Train for it.

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2020, 12:11

According to scientists human expansion and the human appropriation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics