Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [21]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: According to some sports historians, professional tennis players devel [#permalink]
Agree with Mr. Mike, I actually thought that (A) was the correct answer choice but after reviewing D sounds like a valid answer choice

Bottom-Line: Question's tough; Do not focus on this for study material

Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: According to some sports historians, professional tennis players devel [#permalink]
For me, D.

The argument above is most weakened by which of the following statements?
(A) The differences in physical attributes among tennis players are even more pronounced than the sports historians believe. --> Attractive, but maybe not weaken. The more pronounced attributes MAY contend that some players' styles are difference, or it proves that there are more universal styles.

(D) All of the early coaches of today's professional tennis players were professional tennis players themselves earlier in their lives. --> Absolutely weaken, if ALL players conform with the universal style (coach and attribute), the early coaches cannot be pro by themselves. Thus, weaken.

Any comment if wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [2]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Kudos
conclusion says- "there is a universally efficient tennis style to which all professional tennis players conform."
to weaken this we have to show that there is nothing like universal style ->> players get affected by their coach who themselves were player..so they share similar tennis playing style because of their coaches influence
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
DaenerysStormborn wrote:
conclusion says- "there is a universally efficient tennis style to which all professional tennis players conform."
to weaken this we have to show that there is nothing like universal style ->> players get affected by their coach who themselves were player..so they share similar tennis playing style because of their coaches influence

Is it too far fetched to assume that as per Option D, (i.e. All of the early coaches of today's professional tennis players were professional tennis players themselves earlier in their lives) these coaches taught the players styles which they themselves learnt, since it is mentioned in the argument premise that coaches influence the player style.

So doesnt this option kind of strengthen the argument assuming that these current coaches were influenced earlier by their coaches earlier?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
5achin wrote:
Is it too far fetched to assume that as per Option D, (i.e. All of the early coaches of today's professional tennis players were professional tennis players themselves earlier in their lives) these coaches taught the players styles which they themselves learnt, since it is mentioned in the argument premise that coaches influence the player style.

So doesnt this option kind of strengthen the argument assuming that these current coaches were influenced earlier by their coaches earlier?

Dear 5achin,
I'm happy to respond. :-) As I mentioned above, I don't think this is a particularly high quality question. I think it has several flaws. Nevertheless, the logic of the conclusion is very straightforward.

Big Question: Why is one playing style so common?
That's the implicit question that the argument is trying to answer.
Reason #1: it's the best, the "universally efficient tennis style"
That's the argument's answer. Everyone uses it because it's the best.
Choice (D) suggests a completely different answer to the question.
Reason #2: everyone copies from everyone else--i.e. this generation copied from their coaches, who copied from theirs, etc.
In other words, it's not necessarily the best, it's just the one that has been most passed down from coach to player over the successive generations, perhaps because it is most teachable or easily imitated or something of this sort. If this is true, then we can explain everything without assuming that this style is the best. That weakens the argument.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
5achin wrote:

Dear 5achin,
I'm happy to respond. :-) As I mentioned above, I don't think this is a particularly high quality question. I think it has several flaws. Nevertheless, the logic of the conclusion is very straightforward.

Big Question: Why is one playing style so common?
That's the implicit question that the argument is trying to answer.
Reason #1: it's the best, the "universally efficient tennis style"
That's the argument's answer. Everyone uses it because it's the best.
Choice (D) suggests a completely different answer to the question.
Reason #2: everyone copies from everyone else--i.e. this generation copied from their coaches, who copied from theirs, etc.
In other words, it's not necessarily the best, it's just the one that has been most passed down from coach to player over the successive generations, perhaps because it is most teachable or easily imitated or something of this sort. If this is true, then we can explain everything without assuming that this style is the best. That weakens the argument.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Ok it does make now. I was assuming that since all coaches were players they teach the most efficient style.. Never thought of the style taught need not be efficient but just easy to teach or imitate.
Thanks Mike!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
phammanhhiep wrote:
According to some sports historians, professional tennis players develop unique playing styles that result from a combination of the peculiarities of each player's physical attributes and the influence of coaches during their early adaptation to the game. But when the increase in strength and endurance of modem players is discounted, it becomes readily apparent that the playing styles of the current crop of professional tennis players are no different from the styles of players from previous generations. Clearly, there is a universally efficient tennis style to which all professional tennis players conform.

The argument above is most weakened by which of the following statements?

(A) The differences in physical attributes among tennis players are even more pronounced than the sports historians believe.

(B) Few current professional tennis players are familiar with the professional tennis players of fifty years ago.

(C) The increased strength of current tennis players contributes more to the development of individual playing styles than does increased endurance.

(D) All of the early coaches of today's professional tennis players were professional tennis players themselves earlier in their lives.

(E) Weight training and greater attention to diet are the primary factors in the increased strength and stamina of the current generation of professional tennis players.

I have struggled to figure out how the explanation in kaplan 800 says that 'there is no difference between the styles of the two generations" is a fact. I only conceive of the statement as an opinion of the author that is based on another statement, i.e. "when the increase in strength and endurance of modem players is discounted". Since I still consider the "no difference" an opinion, I have thought that it has a flaw. Although it does not take into account to the influence of coaches, it concludes there is no difference. Keeping the flaw in mind, I cannot find the OA correct.

Please explain what is the signal that indicates that the statement "no difference..." is a fact, not an opinion.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The author begins by describing the view of some sports historians, who subscribe to a basic formula: physical attributes + a coach's influence = a player's "unique" tennis style. After dismissing the relevance of modern players' greater strength and endurance, however, the author argues that current styles are really no different from previous styles, implying that the historians' claim of the existence of "unique" tennis styles is bogus. And this implication is stated outright in the last sentence, where the author posits the existence of a universally successful tennis style shared by all professionals. In other words, the author uses the fact that tennis styles haven't changed over the years to argue that there's simply one best way to play tennis; in contrast to the historians' theory of "unique," the author proposes the theory of "universality." But the author ignores a plausible alternative explanation; namely, the role of the tennis coach. If, as (D) has it, the early coaches of today's players were the professionals of yesteryear, then it's reasonable to believe that the style the author considers "universal" may simply be the style (one possible one among many) that was handed down from one generation to the next. Perhaps if the current crop of tennis stars don't go on to teach the next generation, whole new styles will develop. If the current style is learned, then it may not be universally inherent to the game. If (D) is true, the author's claim of "universality" is weakened. That makes (D) the winner.

(A) emphasizes the truth of the first part of the sports historians' view regarding the individuality of physical attributes. Since the author doesn't explicitly disagree that players vary in terms of some attributes, this choice doesn't weaken the argument.

(B) if anything, strengthens the argument: If most current players don't know of the players of previous generations, yet their styles are for the most part similar to that of those players, then we'd be more likely to believe that the author is on to something with the claim that a universally efficient style exists in the world of professional tennis.

(C) makes an irrelevant distinction between strength and endurance. Saying that one has a greater impact than the other has no effect on the argument, which never even begins to rank those two factors.

(E) The factors that contribute to the greater strength and weight of today's players are beyond the scope of this argument. The argument focuses on the similarity of styles that is evident once these factors are discounted. Why the current players are stronger and heartier than the previous bunch is not the issue.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
No disrespect to Kaplan, but a lot of their Critical Reasoning questions drive me nuts. I'll get other prep company's questions correct, yet end up bombing Kaplan's CR Questions.

Despite that fact, I actually didn't mind this question. What stood out to me most was the word "efficient" used in the Conclusion and the "Gap" that exists between the author's Premise/observance of "facts".

The author is looking at the playing styles of todays pro tennis players and those of pro tennis players from prior generations and observes that the styles are essentially the same (discounting for increases in strength and endurance). Mike is correct: I do not know how the author could come up with this "fact." But since it is a Premise the author bases the argument on, we'll take it as fact.

From this observance, the author concludes that there must be a "universally EFFICIENT tennis style" and all professional players conform to this "universally efficient tennis style."

The "Gap" I spotted was the following: just because the pro players today and the pro players from prior generations have "similar playing styles", does this mean that there is some universally accepted efficient tennis style that all pro players learn?

Just because the 2 generations play tennis in a similar way, this does not necessarily mean that there is a universal standard that they all "conformed" to learning. Maybe there is another reason why the present and past generations of pro tennis players play with a similar style?

(D) If ALL of the coaches who coached today's pro players early on in their development were ALSO pro players themselves, then it is more likely that these coaches just passed on their own style to the current generation.

Perhaps there isn't some universally accepted "efficient" playing style to which all the pro players conform. What the author observes is just the prior generation "passing on" their style to the current generation. After all, we are told that some sports historians believe that early influence from coaches has an influence on the playing style of pro tennis players.

(D) makes it slightly less likely that the author's claim is correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts