Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Achieved 720 with Q46 V44 for MSc Finance, should I re-take? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
BarbellEconomics wrote:
Hi Everyone.

Firstly thank you to everyone that submitted a post talking about their experiences with the test. The community is an invaluable resource that I would credit a lot of my success to.

I took the test yesterday, scoring highly in the Verbal section but arguably underperforming (relative to practice tests) in the Quant. I'll be applying to LSE MSc Finance, Oxford Financial Economics, Imperial MSc Finance, HEC Paris MSc Finance amongst others and whilst the overall score arguably sits within the range of acceptable scores, I feel that the Quant might drag me down.
Insert from Oxford website "We recommend that the quantitative scores are in the 90th percentile, the verbal scores are in the 80th percentile and the analytical writing score is at least 5."

I could sit the test in two weeks and try again, hoping for a similar Verbal and better Quant, but that would delay applications for the Masters, Summer Internships and probably make me fall behind on Undergrad work.

Also in the interest of context I have a few Internships in Finance, one in each summer of my undergrad and as I am in my final year (third) now, I'm also working 3 days a week in a Fintech startup in London. I'm on track for a first in a relatively quantitative subject (Economics) and I can show that my Quantitative skills are good enough to handle real world challenges by handling both the theoretical and numerical elements of the AI algorithm at work.

If anyone can provide any insight into my situation I'd appreciate it, thanks for reading.
That's a very good score. You should reach out to your target school and check what they think of your Quant score. Don't take the bit about the 90th percentile too seriously, as the GMAT can't really differentiate that well at the high end of the Quant scale.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi BarbellEconomics,

First off, a 720/Q46 is an outstanding score (it's above the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interested you. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. With highly-competitive Finance Programs, a greater emphasis tends to be planned on the Applicant's Quant Scaled Score. While a Q46 is a solid performance, it won't "impress" anyone. That's not necessary a bad thing, since the application process includes so many pieces (and it certainly sounds as though you have a strong Quant and Analytical background) and that Score won't keep you out of any Programs in and of itself. In simple terms, it just won't be a "plus" in your overall application.

You're ultimately asking Admissions questions, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

If you do choose to retest, then you could potentially learn and practice the proper Tactics over the course of 2-4 weeks and score higher. If you'd like to discuss that option in more detail, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot