It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 23:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ALL TOPICS NOT COVERED IN MGMAT GUIDE 1,2,3,4,5 QUANT ONLY

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [4], given: 4

ALL TOPICS NOT COVERED IN MGMAT GUIDE 1,2,3,4,5 QUANT ONLY [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2011, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I am using MGMAT guides for GMAT preparation and I am currently working on my last MGMAT guide -5 (Geometry)
While working on it I found that the formula or definition on Sphere/Cone/Hemisphere etc are missing, but the questions appeared in the OG12. Usually when I solved the OG12 questions after working on MGMAT guide theory and problem set, I didn't find many topics not covered in MGMAT guides.. to learn more on the missed topic for now I am going to search it in Maths foundation or might go thru the articles here on GC or refer other books. But that made me think -are there other topics that might come in GMAT but not covered in MGMAT guides?
Or is it covered in advanced section?

Though I initially asked this as a question, then I decided to start a thread on this topic so it will be helpful as a reference for others who are depending completely on MGMAT guides for the purpose of covering all possible GMAT topics.

We will have 2 seperate threads for it,
If everyone can please post all the topics or important notes related to Quant GMAT here that is missing in MGMAT Guides 1,2,3,4 and 5 it will be a great collection for everyone to use as a reference to study with the guides if following only MGMAT and I will consolidate all together in a pdf later.

Please let me know if you come up with any other ideas... till then post here the topics that you come across in OG12 questions, but not introduced in MGMAT Guides. - Quant Section Only - Please list 1,2,3,4 or 5.

I will edit is as and when I come up with more ideas to make it useful for everyone :)
Thanks!!!

-----------------------------------
[highlight]If u find this post useful... or just like it........ Kudos are most welcome[/highlight] 8-)

Kudos [?]: 74 [4], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

Re: ALL TOPICS NOT COVERED IN MGMAT GUIDE 1,2,3,4,5 QUANT ONLY [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 06:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Circles and Cylinders:

1. Sphere
a. Surface area of Sphere: A = 4π r^2
b. Volume of Sphere: V = 4/3π r^3

2. Cone
a. Surface Area of Cone S.A. = π r S + π r^2 where S is the Slant side of the cone opposite the height h
b. Volume of Cone: V = 1/3 π r^2 h

3. Rectangular Prism
a. Surface Area of Prism = A = 2 (wh + hl + wl)
b. Volume of Prism = V = lwh

4. Square based Pyramid
a. Surface Area of Square based pyramid = 2bs + b^2 where b is the base and s is the perpendicular on side from base to the top of the pyramid
b. Volume of Pyramid V = 1/3 b^2 h where h is the height of the pyramid from the center of the base to the top

Equation of Circle - (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2
where (a,b) are co-ordinates on xy plane and r is radius of the circle.
with center at origin (0,0) the equation becomes x^2 + y^2 = r^2

work in progress ....

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 07:22
Can I post similar opinions on other guides as well? I was going thru Kaplan and it gave me loads of confidence in the first week. All that went down the drain the moment I picked some other guide.

If there is another topic where I can post my findings, I shall put them there. In case I can add them here, I have no problem.

Regards
Rahul

Regards
Rahul

Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2095 [0], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 07:38
retro wrote:
Can I post similar opinions on other guides as well? I was going thru Kaplan and it gave me loads of confidence in the first week. All that went down the drain the moment I picked some other guide.

If there is another topic where I can post my findings, I shall put them there. In case I can add them here, I have no problem.

Regards
Rahul

I don't think simmy818 or other users should have any problem with that. Whatever makes this thread more useful. Also, these notes are better consolidated at one places rather than spread-out all over the place. So what if the title says, "MGMAT". So far the post is related to a missed GMAT quant topic from a recognized source, I guess you can post it here. Just mention the name of the source and the information you think was missed.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2095 [0], given: 376

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 08:30
retro wrote:

Regards
Rahul

Sure! As fluke mentioned, if you can write down the source and the related topic description, we can cover everything in one topic..
I will consolidate everything into different pdf's after more collection of topics or information.
I am trying to put together not only the headings of the topics but also the information that should be covered under it, so that this becomes an additional detailed source of study with the respective guides.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 10:07
Well!! it is encouraging to see two similar posts.

Here are the most important pieces that I thought Kaplan's Math workbook could have contained:

1. Probability: Together with statistics, this figures for about half a page in the entire book and the exercises are disappointing because they do not expose you to the more complex problems that take you to the 700 or levels above.
2. Statistics: Mean is dealt in some problems. There is not much material about Medians, mode, Standard deviation or Variance or how they are related.
3. Quality of problems: They sounded more like grinding the mill at the basics (probably toe 600-625) level. Very few problems deal in bringing multiple concepts together and testing the candidate. For instance, problems related to arithematic progressions and mean could throw up quite some challenging questions. I could find them in other books; rarely in this one though.
4. Geometry: Triangles and their properties are reasonably well handled. Polygons are not covered extensively. Odd shapes like the Trapezoids or parallelograms do not figure prominently in the workbook.
5. Concepts like factorials and large exponents are not that common in the book.
6. Word problems and their explanations are extremely good. They give the beginner the right thrust to tackle more complex questions.

I felt that the book is a great one to begin with. But if one were to expose onself to a wider world and see the kind of questions that are posed in weekly and daily challenges, this workbook just leaves you at the previous step. perhaps, the text was designed with a view to inspiring the readers to tackle the tougher questions that are part of the Premier book.

I am open to modifications to this list.

Regards
Rahul

Regards
Rahul

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 11:43
Rahul,
thanks for the feedback, but I still think you didnot read our post completely. Though the feedback you provided might be helpful, but I am trying to collect the topics + data that you didn't find in ur guide. For example some formulaes that you came across while solving OG12 but didn't find in ur guide, and list of those formulas in your post for others to read in this thread as a supplement to that particular chapter.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 22:41
Ok. Thank you for some more clarity. I shall add those formulae/bits also down the line.

Regards
Rahul

Regards
Rahul

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2011, 08:58
retro wrote:
Ok. Thank you for some more clarity. I shall add those formulae/bits also down the line.

Regards
Rahul

Thanks Rahul! for the positive spirit..

will wait for the updates as that will help for revision ..

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 05:01
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 0

Re: ALL TOPICS NOT COVERED IN MGMAT GUIDE 1,2,3,4,5 QUANT ONLY   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2017, 05:01

ALL TOPICS NOT COVERED IN MGMAT GUIDE 1,2,3,4,5 QUANT ONLY

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap