GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 23:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 11:05
mbit wrote:
abhimahna

I don't understand the logic of answer choice A. Let's say magazine X is running an excerpt from Book Y. Magazine X will get distributed to 1,000,000 people. In this example, we cannot assume that ANY of those 1,000,000 had an opinion to buy or not to buy Book Y before they read the excerpt. So, if all 1,000,000 people read the book and 1 person is "stimulated" to buy the book, then that excerpt has boosted sales by 1 person, even though 999,999 people were okay with just reading the excerpt.

Also, if the opposite assumption is made - all 1,000,000 people were going to buy the book - then answer choice A actually weakens the argument because if even one person is satisfied with the excerpt then it has decreased sales...

I'm struggling to find a scenario in which answer choice A is the underlying assumption...

Hey mbit ,

I am happy to help. :-)

First of all, I think you didn't read the question properly. We need to find the conclusion of the author on the basis of the facts given.

Fact 1: Publish excerpts in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published.

Fact 2: The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

That means author is trying to say if we publish it, people will notice it and then we will win the game.

So, the conclusion should be something that states these excerpts are really useful. This is what option A is doing. It is saying we have more people who are reading books because the excerpts created the desire. Hence, A is correct.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Director
Director
P
Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 06:07
joonhy wrote:
Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published. The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information above?

(A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.

(B) Because the financial advantage of excerpting a new book in a magazine usually accrues to the book's publisher, magazine editors are unwilling to publish excerpts from new books.

(C) In calculating the total number of copies that a book has sold, publishers include sales of copies of magazines that featured an excerpt of the book.

(D) The effectiveness of having excerpts of a book published in a magazine, measured in terms of increased sales of a book, is proportional to the circulation of the magazine in which the excerpts are published.

(E) Books that are suitable for excerpting in high-circulation magazines sell more copies than book that are not suitable for excerpting.

Since i chose A, i decided to post my reasoning :)

Statement is as follows.
"Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published. The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher."

To summurize the above statement in "two" words. :lol:

Say you are sales agent/writer/kappalmeister (all in one :lol: ) and you have 2 months period before your book is published, so you want to maximize sales of the book as soon as it is published. You decide to publish ONLY AN excertpt of the book in high-circulation magazine.

So option A says
(A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.

Say there are two groups of readers X and Y

For X group of readers reading excerpt of book in magazine, will be equivalent to reading a full version of book which means that group of customers X wont buy a full version of book after it is published. note the number of readers in group X is much lower compared to number of readers to group Y

To the group Y belong the majoriry of readers for whom reading an excerpt from high circulation magazine stimulates reading a full version of book which means they will buy a full version of book when the book is published. hence they will spend money.

Since financial interests of high circulation magazine and book publisher are met. sales dep of mgazine high -circulation magazine will pay fees to book publisher because to the group Y belong the majoriry of readers for whom reading an excerpt from high circulation magazine will stimulate puchases of high circulation magazine to be better informed of upcoming books that will be published soon.

hope it helps someone :)

cheers,
D. :-)

In English I speak with a dictionary, and with people I am shy.

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 22:39
KarishmaB wrote:
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:

Thanks for pointing it out. I was stuck at the same point. My analysis was that let's say 10 people are wiling to buy the book in the beginning, and the excerpt is released to a magazine that is read by 100 people. 60 people are discouraged to buy and 40 are encouraged --> this fact refutes option A but still increases the sale.

My question here is, what if questions like these (with an underlying assumption not so evident) appear in GMAT? is there a way around or do we just rely on our instinct?

The number analysis is not correct. If 10 people were willing to buy the book, the excerpt cannot discourage 60 people since they were not interested in buying in the first place. Only 10 were interested in the first place!
This group - "The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book" has to come from the people who were interested in buying the book in the first place.

The number analysis would be something like this: If 100 people were interested in buying the book initially and then the excerpt was released, 30 of those 100 people were not interested in buying anymore because the excerpt was a good enough substitute for them. But the excerpt has to bring in another '31 or more' people who were not interested initially but are interested now in buying the book. That is when the sales will increase due to the excerpt.

Now, I hope you see that the underlying assumption is clear.

Can you please Explain why D is wrong.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 23:13
swapnil611 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:

Thanks for pointing it out. I was stuck at the same point. My analysis was that let's say 10 people are wiling to buy the book in the beginning, and the excerpt is released to a magazine that is read by 100 people. 60 people are discouraged to buy and 40 are encouraged --> this fact refutes option A but still increases the sale.

My question here is, what if questions like these (with an underlying assumption not so evident) appear in GMAT? is there a way around or do we just rely on our instinct?

The number analysis is not correct. If 10 people were willing to buy the book, the excerpt cannot discourage 60 people since they were not interested in buying in the first place. Only 10 were interested in the first place!
This group - "The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book" has to come from the people who were interested in buying the book in the first place.

The number analysis would be something like this: If 100 people were interested in buying the book initially and then the excerpt was released, 30 of those 100 people were not interested in buying anymore because the excerpt was a good enough substitute for them. But the excerpt has to bring in another '31 or more' people who were not interested initially but are interested now in buying the book. That is when the sales will increase due to the excerpt.

Now, I hope you see that the underlying assumption is clear.

Can you please Explain why D is wrong.

Let me try to explain why D is wrong.

The conclusion is that the excerpt of a book published in a magazine before the whole book is published will surely increase the sales of the book once the whole book is published. Also the publisher will have monetary gains.

Option D says that the wide circulation of the magazine(in which excerpt is published) will lead to increased sales of the book and if the circulation of the magazine is not wide,sales will be less.
Think of it whether this proportional theory is talked about in the question stem.
I say NO.

In real world scenario this may be true of-course.

In Inference questions you need to park your outside world knowledge and rely only on what is mentioned in the argument.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get &nbs [#permalink] 01 Aug 2018, 23:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap