It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:35

Live Now:

GMAT Verbal Live on YouTube: Join Now!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Cana

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: An international team of astronomers working at telescopes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 23:33
An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter, the solar system's largest planet.

ANSWER IS A
Three very easy decision points here
1) Idiom :- estimated at is wrong ; estimated to /to be is correct
2) Subject Verb agreement :- "Team" is singular therefore singular verb should be used.
3) Modifier - "the solar system's largest planet" should modify JUPITER and not Jupiter's mass because Jupiter's mass cannot be a planet.

A. astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter, the solar system's largest planet.
CORRECT

B. astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter's mass
INCORRECT:- jupiter's mass cannot be the largest planet ; Jupiter is the largest planet.

C. astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas spheres that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
WRONG:- having is incorrect tense. Estimated at is wrong idiom

D. astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
WRONG:- Estimated at is wrong idiom

E. astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter's mass
INCORRECT:- Team is singular and the subject of the sentence. therefore "they" is wrong pronoun and is used incorrectly "have" is incorrect; Jupiter's mass is incorrect because mass cannot the biggest planet.

eybrj2 wrote:
20. An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter, the solar system’s largest planet.

A.) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
B.) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass
C.) astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas sphere that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
D.) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
E.) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass

In d, putting comma between astronomers and working makes the meaning of the sentence different from b (without comma)

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Director
Director

Re: An international team of astronomers working at telescopes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 23:34
An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter, the solar system's largest planet.

ANSWER IS A
2) Subject Verb agreement :- "Team" is singular therefore singular verb should be used.
3) Modifier - "the solar system's largest planet" should modify JUPITER and not Jupiter's mass because Jupiter's mass cannot be a planet.

A. astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter, the solar system's largest planet.
CORRECT

B. astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter's mass
INCORRECT:- jupiter's mass cannot be the largest planet ; Jupiter is the largest planet.

C. astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas spheres that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter

D. astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter

E. astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter's mass
INCORRECT:- Team is singular and the subject of the sentence. therefore "they" is wrong pronoun and is used incorrectly "have" is incorrect; Jupiter's mass is incorrect because mass cannot the biggest planet.

sondenso wrote:
20. An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter, the solar system’s largest planet.

A.) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
B.) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass
C.) astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas sphere that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
D.) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
E.) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Director
Director

Re: An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Cana [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 23:35

ANSWER IS A

CORRECT

LM wrote:

A.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Re: An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Cana [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 06:26
the solar system's largest planet should modify a noun that is jupiter and in option B it is modifying mass so so wrong
the answer should be A

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Kudos [?]: 304 [1], given: 18

WE: General Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
A) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter-Correct Choice
A Team of ______ has. (Singular Subject, Singular Verb). Estimated to (Correct Idiom). the solar system’s largest planet correctly modifies Jupiter.

(B) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass- Incorrect.
the solar system’s largest planet incorrectly modifies Jupiter’s Mass.

(C) astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas spheres that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter. Incorrect
The sentence has a bit awkward construction. Estimated at 100% incorrect idiom.

(D) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter- Incorrect
By placing, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, between commas makes it a non-essential modifier. The logic of this sentence calls for an essential modifier. Clearly Incorrect. Unnecessary and is used. Estimated at is Incorrect.

(E) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass- Incorrect. By placing, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, between commas makes it a non-essential modifier. The logic of this sentence calls for an essential modifier. Clearly Incorrect. the solar system’s largest planet incorrectly modifies Jupiter’s Mass

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 304 [1], given: 18

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 59

Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 19:05
(A) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter (Correct)

(B) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass (Jupiter's mass is not solar system largest planet. Rather, it is jupiter)

(C) astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas spheres that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter (Astronomers is not working at telescopes after detecting gas spheres).Changes the meaning

(D) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter (Lack of main Verb)

(E) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass Same as B.

Kudos please, if you like my explanation

Kindly hit kudos if my post helps!

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 59

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 11:45
out of A n B, A is correct because of wrong modifier in B.

In B, Solar system's largest planet is modifying mass of jupiter.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 10:23
An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter, the solar system’s largest planet.

(A) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter

(B) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass

(C) astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas spheres that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter

(D) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter

(E) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 11:36
If I decide instead to examine another answer choice, I might start with answer B. I compare A and B, looking for differences, and then try to determine what the differences mean. (You can start with any answer you want, but you want to compare to A, and it’s physically easiest to compare B to A because they’re right next to each other – so have a good reason if you decide you want to start with something other than B.)

In comparing A to B, I find two differences, both at the end of the underline. In A, we have “to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter” and in B, we have “to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass.” The word right before the “to have / to be” portion is “estimated.” Idiomatically, we do want to have an infinitive verb right after the word estimated – so those are both okay from that perspective. What’s the difference between saying “mass of Jupiter” and “Jupiter’s mass”? Not a lot… if we ignore the rest of the sentence.

In fact, when I did this one myself, I followed this second path, and when I got to the split between “mass of Jupiter” and “Jupiter’s mass,” I started asking myself “Oh, does this have to do with meaning? What’s the difference in meaning between “to have 5 to 15 times the mass of something” and “to be 5 to 15 times something’s mass?” That question is annoying – it’s more of a judgment call then a strict rule. I glanced back up at the original sentence and that’s when I noticed that extra bit at the end, not underlined. Bingo! There’s a hard rule here – the modifier rule – and it’s clearly being broken in answer B. (I then scanned down the other answers and eliminated E for the same reason.)

So now we’re down to A, C, and D. I could read these two in their entirety, but that would take a lot of time – so first, I’m going to check the places that I know have already been tested. I’ve already noticed that C and D both say “mass of Jupiter,” so they’re okay on that issue. We also had a split between “estimated to have” and “estimated to be.” What do C and D do with that portion of the sentence?

Yes! C and D say “estimated at!” That’s an idiom error – “at” is a preposition, not an infinitive verb. I can eliminate both C and D.

The correct answer is A.

If that last step hadn’t worked, then I would have had pick either C or D and compare it to A. That’s fine – it’ll just take a bit longer, so let’s first try to reuse our previous work as much as possible. Finally, there are some other errors in the answers… but I’m going to give you a task. Tell me what you think the other errors are in the comments; I’ll reply to confirm.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Re: An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Cana   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 11:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 69 posts ] 

An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Cana

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap