GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simpl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simpl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Jun 2019, 23:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:32) correct 40% (01:44) wrong based on 1812 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A. having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B. having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C. as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D. when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were
E. for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Originally posted by quiet888 on 04 May 2008, 18:16.
Last edited by Bunuel on 17 Jun 2019, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Re: Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simpl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 14:40
should be A

Parallel A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been

a drug prescription can not be ineffective B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being

as, ....., having too low of a dosage - you can't have dosage, you have dose C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being

in GMAT, when has to refer to a specific time, not an instance D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were

in GMAT, when has to refer to a specific time, not an instance E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
Manager
Re: Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simpl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2009, 07:33
A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been ...PARALLEL AND PARTICIPLE PHRASE CONTUNING THE COMMA..CORRECT
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
BEING is ICORRRECT..HAS TO BE PAST PERFECT CO
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
SENTENCE CANNOT START WITH AS AFTER COMMA
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
WHEN CANNO START A SETNCE ATER COMMA
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
UNPARALLEL
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 00:05
:shock: weird sentence

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been [highlight]taken off a drug[/highlight]too soon.
A.[highlight]having, for example, been prescribed a drug[/highlight][strike]at a dosage too low to be effective[/strike] [highlight]or having been[/highlight] - only this is parallel
B. having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C. as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D. when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were
E. for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2011, 10:15
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been CORRECT!
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effetive, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

I am still on all gmat forums. msg me if you want to ask me smth
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 22:15
Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A. having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been
Correct. Parallelism: modifier // modifier.

Wrong. Not parallel.
Note: "being" used as modifier --> always wrong in GMAT. If "being" is used as verb (passive continuous), it may be correct.

Wrong. Same as B.

Wrong. Verb tense problem. "have been prescribed" & "were taken off" are NOT parallel.
"When" is not necessary.

Wrong. Not parallel.

Hope it helps.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2014, 12:58
Here is my explanation with some additional concepts:

Statements beginning with 'having' are tricky and you have to be extra careful using them. Generally these statements refer to an event that has happened prior to another event mentioned in the sentence. Now lets move on to the first answer choice: the 2 events 'drug prescription' and 'patients being taken off a drug too soon' happened before the event 'when some patients did not respond to therapies for depression';

Therefore you can also read the sentence as Having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon, Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment.

So this answer choice looks good to me. Moreover the parallelism between 'having' clauses maintains the sanctity of the answer choice. Additionally, also remember that a verb form of a word is always preferred over the noun form or adjective form. Therefore, 'prescribe' as a verb is preferred over 'prescription' as a noun or 'prescribed' as an adjective.

Problem with this statement is that there is no parallelism between clauses beginning with 'having' and 'being'; also refer the usage of being as mentioned here by eGMAT http://gmatclub.com/forum/correct-usage-of-being-123156.html

Again the same problem as that of option B. Moreover the problem is compounded with the use of 'as having'...wierd!!

Always be careful when you see 'when' :-D, for 'when' should preferably refer to some event in time. Here there is none!! In addition to that, the parallelism between 'when' and 'were' is WRONG.

Similar explanation as that of D, additionally look at the weird parallelism between the two clauses.

I hope my explanation helped.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 02:32
I ruled out A as:
I thought since the sentence is giving two examples 'having been prescribed ..' and 'having been taken off...' both should follow after 'for example'. So it should look like - "for example, having been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been"

How can I make myself familiar with this kind of structure.

Is E incorrect because -
'have a drug prescription (simple present/active)' and 'have been taken off (present perfect/passive) are not parallel. Which one is a bigger deal tense or voice change?

Is this an OG problem?

Experts pls help
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 07:40
Nina1987 wrote:
I ruled out A as:
I thought since the sentence is giving two examples 'having been prescribed ..' and 'having been taken off...' both should follow after 'for example'. So it should look like - "for example, having been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been"

How can I make myself familiar with this kind of structure.

Hi Nina1987, for example is basically used as a Parenthetical Expression here. Such constructs give a slight pause/interrupt the main clause. Some example:

Usain Bolt, by all measures, is the best sprinter the world has ever seen.

Peter, in all likelihood, will join Wharton.

I believe this is the reason why you chose E, because all other options use Parenthetical Expression.

Quote:
Is E incorrect because -
'have a drug prescription (simple present/active)' and 'have been taken off (present perfect/passive) are not parallel. Which one is a bigger deal tense or voice change?

Neither tense nor voice is a big deal, in the sense that different parts of the sentence can be in different tense/voice. It depends on the context. An easy way to eliminate E is because it seems to suggest that prescription has a low dosage (while in reality, drug has a low dosage).

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 12:49
quiet888 wrote:

A. having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been. Correct parallalism
B. having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being. How can a drug prescription be ineffective? Also, 'being' is generally wrong on GMAT
C. as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being as having X is not parallel with as having y. Also, 'being' is generally wrong on GMAT
D. when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were or preceeded by ',' must be followed by an independent sentence
E. for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been or preceeded by ',' must be followed by an independent sentence

A is the answer

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 08:11
I think the question is testing verb tense as well:

Original sentence says 'may simply have received inadequate treatment' : this means that the patients are still receiving(or were receiving when the author wrote this statement) inadequate treatment for depression, and the sentence then goes on to give examples of the type of treatments they may have received. Therefore, the example must contain 'have been' to specify that the treatments were given before the author wrote this statement, and continued to the time the author wrote this statement.

There are 3 tenses in this statement and continuity must be maintained for clear structure. The answer then is clearly A

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 21:40

A. having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been - Correct
B. having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being - usage of being ; "having" + "was ineffective" doesn't make sense.

"having" adopts the same timeframe as the rest of the sentence -- which is the present (we can discern this by noticing that the sentence is talking about patients who do not respond). however, "was ineffective" seems to suggest that the prescription was ineffective sometime in the past.
taken together, these two contexts seem to indicate that the patient is, for some reason, holding onto an old prescription that was ineffective.
C. as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being - usage of being ; the intended message is that the patient may have been prescribed a dosage that is too low.
"having too low a dosage of a prescribed drug" does not suggest that the prescription is too low; rather, it suggests that the patient simply doesn't have enough of the drug in his or her possession.
D. when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were - parallelism issue -- have been and were
E. for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been - parallelism issue

Usage of when in D and E-
"when" doesn't really work, because the sentence is talking about the things that are actually examples of inappropriate treatment.
if i write X happened when Y happened, then X can't be the same thing as Y.

Answer A
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 09:12
quiet888 wrote:

A. having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been -Correct
B. having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being - changes the meaning and having & being not parallel
C. as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being - work/ awkward - doesn't make sense
D. when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were - When is an issue here. In GMAT when is only referred to a time
E. for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been - When is an issue here. In GMAT when is only referred to a time
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2019, 14:25
Can you explain why "as" in option A is correct? It seems very out of place
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 01:06
jyotsnamahajan wrote:
Can you explain why "as" in option A is correct? It seems very out of place
Are you sure that you're looking at the right option/word (there is an as in option C)?
S
Schools: Oxford "21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
CAT Tests
Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simpl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 23:59
A lot of people here are saying that when is used only to refer to time in gmat, however, I feel that is not always true.

For eg; the following official question (Source : GMATPREP)

Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be superficial such as when each of the three major networksbroadcast exactly the same statement from a political candidate.
(A) superficial such as when each of the three major networks
(B) superficial, as can sometimes occur if all of the three major networks
(C) superficial if the three major networks all
(D) superficial whenever each of the three major networks
(E) superficial, as when the three major networks each

Here, when is used for the construction X happens, when Y happens

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

This question only tests the usage of "having" and Parallelism.

GMATNinja daagh egmat
S
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.36
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 09:25
I crossed out A first not making sense but then it is the only option where past comes before present. My question is how to attack such confusing question in 2 min in exam coz i would have missed this in an exam.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 08:29
Adverbial clause:

"having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon"

has its subject "Some patients".

Is this adverbial clause placed far enough from its subject?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simpl   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2019, 08:29

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simpl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics