Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
Re: Anderson ($$) or reapply to Wharton / other top-5 [#permalink]
I am not too familiar with PE funds in LA, but from what I know about local PE funds are that since they are usually very small they don't do a lot of recruiting anyway so the best way to "get in" is to know someone or to network. The best way to do that is to go to a school with contacts in your preferred industry. My hunch is that most PE managers are from top schools. But another decent way to break in is to go to a well-respected IB group in LA and establish relationships/headhunters from there. Some big PE groups are HQed in NY but have branch offices. My hunch is that they do recruiting on a national level and recruit at top schools.

If you think you can beef your application enough to get into a top program (higher than UCLA) then by all means go for it. My guess is that for PE (since brand matter a lot) most of the local well known schools won't be able to pass the resume test as easy as resumes from top program.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Product management/entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Send PM
The amount of funding you are getting from UCLA is definitely hard to ignore. I dont think there is any comparison between Wharton ( a world renowned brand) and UCLA (probably not so renowned across the globe). If you believe and have the confidence that you will make it to Wharton or any other school better that UCLA that puts you closer to your goals then no doubt go for it.

Best thing would be if you can get a deferral from UCLA. My personal advice and you can completely ignore it if you want, whatever you end up doing make sure that you are sure about it so that 5-10 years down the line you dont regret the decision you made now. Do your research talk to students at these schools. I think as an admitted student at UCLA you can call up their career services to get better idea about the PE recruitment etc.

Good Luck :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Stanford(interview, ding), Harvard( ACCEPTED! )
Send PM
If you want to break into west coast PE, your best bet is Stanford followed by HBS followed by Wharton. There are a lot of PE firms that only recruit at h/s, and Stanford has a huge regional advantage here. I think it will be difficult to crack into many top PE firms without a brand on your resume. As long as you are 28 or under when you apply, I don't think waiting a year will hurt you too much. You have strong stats... it's worth a shot.

Don't worry about the $70K, that isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and it will pay for itself many times over. If the terms of your admission allow you to defer without restricting you from reapplying to other schools or forfeiting your aid, you may as well give it a shot though. I would imagine that at the very least, you will get the same or comparable offers next year so I wouldn't stress too much about this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Schools:Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Send PM
Couple thoughts
-What are you doing now that is going to make you a more competitive candidate? If you think that what you will do in the next 6 months will tips the scales in your favor, you can take another shot (and maybe include some schools between Wharton and UCLA). If you are on the same trajectory already in your application, maybe take the money and move down that path.

-If the rumors are true, PE recruiting requires lots of patience and networking. Since you want to be in LA, it's going to be a lot easier networking at UCLA, and being patient will be easier with a nice subsidy (not to mention the nice resume fodder). I imagine PE recruiting is going to be a lot more than them taking the name at face value. It's going to come down to your experience and that of your competition. If you go to UCLA and have to compete with your profile doppelganger at Wharton for the same PE job in LA in 2 years, would you trade your networking opportunities for his/her brand name?

Strong position to be in regardless. Congrats and good luck
GMAT Club Bot