Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:23 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619912 [0]
Given Kudos: 81627
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Angle inscirbed in a circle [#permalink]
Also I am a bit confused about l=C-A/360 * circum can you explain this I dont see it visually
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jinglander wrote:
Thanks sooo much. I am a bit confused what is 2X inscribed in the third step and how does the 360 become 60 in the denominator

Also I am a bit confused about l=C-A/360 * circum can you explain this I dont see it visually

The Central Angle Theorem states that the measure of inscribed angle is always half the measure of the central angle.

So Central Angle =2*Inscribed Angle --> than I substituted Central Angle with 2*Inscribed Angle.

We would have \(L= \frac{2*Inscribed-Angle*2\pi{r}}{360}\) --> reduce by 2*2=4 --> \(L= \frac{Inscribed-Angle*\pi{r}}{90}\) --> \(Inscribed-Angle=\frac{90L}{\pi{r}}\).

About \(L= \frac{Central-Angle}{360}* Circumference\): it describes the fact that the ratio of length of arc to the circumference equals to the ratio of central angle to 360 degrees (the whole circle) --> \(\frac{L}{Circumference}= \frac{Central-Angle}{360}\).

I do advice to check Circles chapter of Math Book (link in my signature) and to revise basics of geometry.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes i read the math book on my the app and i didnt see that much detail there. So your varible "inscribed" and "angle" are really the same. I am still confued by Central-Angle/360 shouldn't this just be Central/360 because you said "length of arc to the circumference equals to the ratio of central angle to 360 degrees" why then do you need the subtraction
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Of wait thats a dash not a minus
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jinglander wrote:
Yes i read the math book on my the app and i didnt see that much detail there. So your varible "inscribed" and "angle" are really the same. I am still confued by Central-Angle/360 shouldn't this just be Central/360 because you said "length of arc to the circumference equals to the ratio of central angle to 360 degrees" why then do you need the subtraction

OK:
Inscribed angle when formatted looks like \(Inscribed-Angle\) it's not Inscribed minus angle.
Central angle when formatted looks like \(Central-Angle\) it's not Central minus angle.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for all your help. BTW is there a section on here where I can find a good tutor. I am really struggling

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts