Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:46 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Anyone burned out/tired from essay writing? Tips? [#permalink]
staind wrote:
I just think about the prospect of having no admits in April and thats motivation enough for me! Plus there's only one month to go so its kind of a now or never situation!

Happened to me last year and I wanted to die.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
CyberC1 wrote:
staind wrote:
I just think about the prospect of having no admits in April and thats motivation enough for me! Plus there's only one month to go so its kind of a now or never situation!

Oh man, I definitely can't picture myself waiting one more year. Hopefully you and I have better luck this year! Where all did you apply last year?
Current Student
Send PM
staind wrote:
CyberC1 wrote:
staind wrote:

Oh man, I definitely can't picture myself waiting one more year. Hopefully you and I have better luck this year! Where all did you apply last year?

Aimed too high - Stanford, Harvard, Haas & Yale... :oops: Got burned like Icarus. But this is really off topic...

Seriously though, I think short breaks interspersed between short writing periods is the best bet given your time frame at this time. Just make sure you don't turn the short break into a long break. You can do it! :thumbup:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
Thanks for your advice, everyone!

Yeah, its easy to stress out and lose perspective. I think I need to do a fair share of psyching myself out and looking at essays as something "fun." And not stress over the deadlines.

CyberC1 - I know a lot of people that applied a second cycle (one friend is applying this year for the third time) and ended up getting into their dream schools! I'm sure the same will happen for you :-D I will try out your technique, sounds promising.

Staind - Thanks for sharing your tactic! I find though that scaring myself into writing has a counterproductive effect. I just freeze :shock:

Anyway, good luck everyone. This process will be over soon :oops:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
When starting a new essay I've found that brainstorming while I take my dog on a walk or to the park, or while I'm taking a shower helps. Something other than staring at a blank piece of paper or computer screen. Once I get that idea for my essay, the rest becomes a bit easier.
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
I try to always have a task when I sit down in front of the computer; i.e., today I will write my first draft of my third essay for Wharton. Helps much more to get settled in front of the computer with a specific task in mind, instead of saying, oh yeah, got to "go work on essays." If I know I need to get work done on my applications, but am too burned out or tired to get some quality essay writing accomplished, I use the time to go through the online applications for my schools and make sure all my information is filled in and correct. Finally, if I'm just completely distracted from essay writing, I visit gmatclub.com :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools:Lot's that I shall most likely not get into
GMAT 2: 720
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
WE 2: corp finance
WE 3: Marketing
Send PM
@globalcitizen - quite amused, that's my nick on flyertalk forums =)

I totally agree with your post about burnout - i just did 2 round 1 schools and i'm already fatigued. I'm also plagued by the debate of whether to tailor my career goals for a school or not :(
Not to mention that each school is bloody confusing in requirements ....
anyhow, rant complete - but I am quite excited to make sure this is the last bloody time I'm doing this (as a reapplicant)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
i would ask a friend for advice and for a different perspective. i got tired reading what i wrote over and over again and having someone to talk to about it helped open my mind to new ideas/suggestions. but what really helped me was getting an admissions consultant just for my essays. i knew i had earlier deadlines to turn in my essays to the consultant for review so i had to really power through. and knowing that i wanted my essays to be the best i could do before i turned them in gave me additional motivation. but god i've never felt so burnt out. if you can't afford to pay someone to look at them, i would try to talk it over with a friend. hearing your essays out loud and especially having someone else critique it will help. good luck!
GMAT Club Bot