GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Anyone do AWA/IR section first?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.45
Anyone do AWA/IR section first?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 15:06
I took the GMAT a couple months ago, and felt almost foggy during the first section (V) that I took. As such, I felt my score was low (3-4 points lower than every official GMAT prep I've taken).

I am considering taking the AWA/IR first, as a form of warm up and then moving on. But with that order, I worry that Verbal left until last will also be tired. Aside from sitting outside the test center and taking a practice test before I walk in, does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Anyone do AWA/IR section first?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 18:54
Hi Music2mba,

I see that you've already reached out to some Admissions Experts, so retesting - when you already have this 710/Q47 locked up - is probably not necessary. That having been said, you bring up a good question about which order to take your sections on Test Day and what you might need to do to stay focused and at a high energy level throughout the Exam.

Much of this comes down to the 'physical' aspects of how you take the Exam (including what you do BEFORE the Exam starts and how you handle your two 8-minute breaks). Most Test Takers begin their Exams with a lot of 'nervous energy', but if you're finding that you are consistently 'foggy' at the beginning of your Tests, then you are probably not doing enough to get in the right mindset before the Exam begins.

To start, you should be taking your Tests at a time of day (and day of the week) when YOU are at your most focused. If you're taking your Tests too late in the day or at the end of a busy week of activities, then your 'scheduling' could be the issue. You also have to do your best to make sure that you are well-rested, clear-headed and 'fueled' (meaning that you got a reasonable night's sleep and ate a proper breakfast, etc. before you left for the Test Center). Doing some warm-up practice problems (nothing too difficult or volumous though) to get you into the test-taking mindset would also be a good idea. Your two breaks are also a great opportunity to 'recharge' - have a quick snack/drink and run to the restroom (even if it's just to splash some water in your face).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 19:37
Music2mba wrote:
I took the GMAT a couple months ago, and felt almost foggy during the first section (V) that I took. As such, I felt my score was low (3-4 points lower than every official GMAT prep I've taken).

I am considering taking the AWA/IR first, as a form of warm up and then moving on. But with that order, I worry that Verbal left until last will also be tired. Aside from sitting outside the test center and taking a practice test before I walk in, does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks!
Fatigue was something a lot of people used to worry about. If you're planning to go with the default order, you should take a few practice tests first to see whether you are comfortable with it.
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 19:51
Have you tried taking AWA and IR first on any official practice exams? If so, how did you score?

Also, what did you mean by “aside from sitting outside the test center and taking a practice test before I walk in”? Do you mean taking an official practice exam immediately before your real exam?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Anyone do AWA/IR section first?   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2018, 19:51

Anyone do AWA/IR section first?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep