Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: Anyone Else? 130 Point Drop From Kaplan CATs to Test Day [#permalink]
I'm sorry :( really

I do not know why that was happen. Usually who score well on kaplan score much better during the exam because kaplan is tougher than gmat (usually)

But unfortunately what counts is the GMAT exam

In a recent discussion gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html we are testing the gmatprep software under different scenarios and we have good reasons to believe that:

- quant section is more tough than any official material (OG, Gmat prep and so on)
- verbal fairly reflects the real exam
- the algorithm is (maybe here we do not certainly) different in comparison with the exam, a bit (or greatly, but this last case is only a remote assumption)
- on the contrary of the commone believe (and this denies what gmac says) the first 10 questions both verbal and quant are essential to achive a great score, no matter what.

Back to study, stronger than before and beat the gmat :) (though here we are on gmatclub eheheh )

regards
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you, Carcass! As usual, I really appreciate the kind words.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I hope the second Kaplan course was the free course you get when you are unsatisfied.

If you had to pay, I'd definitely choose another company not because Kaplan is bad (quite the contrary) but because it'd be good to get access to another test bank and maybe learn tricks from another company. I think the previous poster brought up a good point about learning Kaplan test bank tricks but not GMAT test tricks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 450 Q27 V24
GMAT 2: 490 Q30 V24
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
AnthonyJ wrote:
I am a new user to GMAT Club and I ask for your forgiveness in advance if this isn't posted in the correct place or if I'm not using the proper site lingo.

I enrolled in the Kaplan self paced course, worked my butt off for 3 months straight and was seeing significant improvements over the 8 practice CATs I had taken over that time. By the time test day rolled around I brought my score up to a 640, continually ranging around the 85th percentile in quant and just below the 70th percentile in verbal. I studied well over the recommended 150 hours for a 700, burned through almost all of the medium and high difficulty Q bank questions, and was very confident that I would break the 650 barrier on test day.

I wrote the GMAT 2 weeks ago and was crushed by my unofficial score report. I received a 510, scoring in the 40th percentile on quant and in the 30th percentile on verbal. As confident as I was going into the test I had still prepared myself for some regression. Maybe 10, 20, or god forbid 30 points but at no point did I ever expect to see a 130 point drop.

If that wasn't bad enough, I enrolled in another Kaplan class last week and on my diagnostic CAT scored a 700 (92nd percentile on quant/89th percentile on verbal). At this point, as much as I want to believe I'm capable of a 700, I'm having a problem putting my faith in the Kaplan scoring algorithm. Also, during the diagnostic I recognized many questions from previous CATs (even thought I got most of them wrong).

I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, where you able to do anything differently the second time around to get your score where you wanted it to be.

Hey Anthony, I had a very similar situation, though my first practice scores were not as high as yours. I took the Kaplan course after scoring a 450 on my 1st GMAT cold turkey. I scored a 510 on my diagnostic Kaplan CAT. 2 weeks prior to my 2nd GMAT, I had scored a 580 on my most recent CAT. I was confident that I would break 600 which was my goal. Unfortunately, I only scored a 490 on my 2nd Official GMAT. I was very disappointed. I like to believe that some of the drop was caused from Xmas/NYE commotion, but I've also learned that there's no substitute for knowing the material and seeing how the Official GMAT Reviews apply the material in questions. Kaplan taught me a lot of tips, tricks, and shortcuts... but ultimately I realized I need to know the material.

Good luck with everything moving forward.
GMAT Club Bot