Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
Re: application question - please tell me what you think [#permalink]
EconGirl wrote:
so have you noticed that some schools ask what other programs are you applying to. Do you think they use this info. to manage their yields? THat would be really disappointing but then agan why would they bother asking?

Some schools indeed do (ex. UNC, Darden, Duke etc). IMO there are two reasons for this
1) As you said to manage their yields...no body wants to invite students who would surely dump them if a better offer comes up. If i was the adcom I would not want to be in a position where I would have to take less than fit candidates in R3 just to fill the the seats.

2) Also they might want to see how much research you have done. Each school has some thing common to offer. They might check whether the schools youare applying to meet the goals you have stated or are you just applying based on rankings.

My 2 cents
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I heard the admissions director from chicago say that she understood why people would also apply to wharton, but questioned those that also applied to harvard. So I think it has a great deal to do with showing what you want in a business school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd rather not disclose this information if possible.

Otherwise, just tell them that you are applying to similar schools (possibly ranked within 2-3 spots of your target school in your intended specialization).

This is one place where honesty will not pay.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
jaynayak wrote:
Some schools indeed do (ex. UNC, Darden, Duke etc). IMO there are two reasons for this
1) As you said to manage their yields...no body wants to invite students who would surely dump them if a better offer comes up. If i was the adcom I would not want to be in a position where I would have to take less than fit candidates in R3 just to fill the the seats.

2) Also they might want to see how much research you have done. Each school has some thing common to offer. They might check whether the schools youare applying to meet the goals you have stated or are you just applying based on rankings.

My 2 cents

i agree...IMO, one should list couple of schools which have similar offerings but are ranked lower....

that would help both ways...it would show that you have done your research and that you will not dump them if you get accepted to other programs (because they are better ranked) :twisted:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
lhotseface wrote:
Bang on target ! That's what I did for Duke. Don't leave the question blank..an admissions comm. member told me that looks really stupid. They know that people are mature enough to not put all eggs in one basket and apply to multiple places.

luminos24 wrote:
jaynayak wrote:

My 2 cents

i agree...IMO, one should list couple of schools which have similar offerings but are ranked lower....

that would help both ways...it would show that you have done your research and that you will not dump them if you get accepted to other programs (because they are better ranked) :twisted:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know plenty of people who apply just to one school.

Ranking isn't everything, so make sure that your schools offer a similar package. I hear a lot of people wondering how someone can apply to both Harvard and Stanford since they're both so different (I did, so whatever).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
:( [#permalink]
Don't universities have access to the 5 schools that u chose to send your GMAT scores to?
GMAT Club Bot
:( [#permalink]