Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [37]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619100 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when fir [#permalink]
I like A. This keeps it in line and adds to the conclusion. We need to find something that makes it clear that art is often shocking....and the fact that the assumption of Most art is shocking (answer choice A), is the best answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when fir [#permalink]
Kudos
I chose D.

A is wrong simply because is not an assumption as in the argument it is said that "So, since it is clear that art is often shocking".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 883 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
anish319 wrote:
I like A. This keeps it in line and adds to the conclusion. We need to find something that makes it clear that art is often shocking....and the fact that the assumption of Most art is shocking (answer choice A), is the best answer.

You are wrong. Conclusion of the stimulus is not "Art is shocking" but it is "Public fund should support art" So the assumption should support the later one. "Most art is socking" can be a premise and not the assumtion since by the definition of assumtion "Assumtions are unstated premise which if can be proven wrong, undermines the conclusion."
I think the answer should be D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
OA is D
The source as said earlier is Powerscore CR bible. This is a question from the assumption chapter
The argument structure is:
Premise: Great works of art have often elicited....outrage and derision
Premise: Art is often shocking
Conclusion: We shouldnt hesitate to use public funds for art
Here the public funds is clear disconnect from the earlier premises. So we need to provide an assumption that makes public funds coherent with the rest of the stimuli
A -> author says Art is shocking...what kind or what amount is never specified
B -> <Initially I selected this> This is most popular wrong answer<as the book says> Even if true, this doesnt prove the conclusion
C -> Doesnt even come close
D -> This is the only option that does the required connection
E -> Yeah right....tell me about it.... :o :o
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
IMO OA is D

1. Most art is shocking
-> The passage said 'So,since it is clear that art is often shocking'
: 'Often' do not have similar meaning of 'Most'
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their art
-> nothing
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently is
-> Inversed argumen.
The passage said 'Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented'
It means that in the past, art was shocking. But now art is not shocking.
4. Public fund should support art
-> Keep.
5. Anything that shocks is an art
-> Same as A.
:'Anything' do not have similar meaning of 'Most'.

Only left thing is D, so I chose D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Kudos
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

Which of the following is an assumption, that is required for the Art historian to draw his conclusion properly?

1. Most art is shockingExtreme answer. Wrong.
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their artWehther these two arts received public funding need not be necessarily the assumption.
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently isWhether art used to be more shocking than it currently is will not affect the conclusion. Hence this choice is not the assumption.
5. Anything that shocks is an art Again an extreme choice. Wrong.

Source: Powerscore CR Bible

Conclusion: Even if art is shocking, public funds can be used for supporting works of art without any hesitation.

If public fund should not support art, then the funds cannot be used for supporting works of art whether they are shocking or not. Hence conclusion must depend on the assumption that public fund should support art.

KUDOs if you like my explanation. :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [2]
Given Kudos: 338
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
D.

Since only D as a option breaks down conclusion when negated. All other options do not hit the conclusion and are not a pre-requisite for the conclusion to hold true. Conclusion is- we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

A. Exaggerated.
B. Not related with the conclusion.
C. Not related.
D. Keep & negate.
E. Exaggerated and not related for the conclusion to hold true.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Could you please explain as to why D is the correct answer. It brings in a compulsion factor in the assumption question contrary to what we generally tend to avoid for an assumption question.
Can you please tell the best way to tackle this question.

Thanks,

ucb2k7
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

Which of the following is an assumption, that is required for the Art historian to draw his conclusion properly?

1. Most art is shocking

Source: Powerscore CR Bible

I got this question wrong myself. I had chosen "B". I was confused between B and D. But if we apply negation technique D will stand as the clear winner.

B's Negation - Stravinsky and Manet DID NOT receive public funding for their art --Even if they didn't receive funding, public funds can still be used to support art. Conclusion stands

D's Negation - Public fund should NOT support art --If this is true then the conclusion falls apart.

Regards
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
ucb2k7 The "compulsion" you mention is also in the conclusion, which says that we "should not hesitate" to fund shocking art. If the conclusion were about simple fact: what is/isn't funded, what is/isn't considered art by most people, then we wouldn't want "should." But the argument is making a recommendation, so we need guidance for that recommendation. In simple terms, we need a "should" to prove another "should."

If we negate D--public funds should NOT support art--then we certainly couldn't draw the conclusion, which says that we shouldn't hesitate to fund even art that shocks people.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when fir [#permalink]
Allow me to explain.
Premise: Public funds are pooled. Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented.
Conclusion: Public funds should be used to support art anyways.
Assumption:Should bridge the gap, sufficiently from the context of the information provided.
[quote]Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

1. Most art is shocking

Bridges the gap between the conclusion and premise.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Yes D is the correct answer because if we negate D then the conclusion will fall.

I was wrong and chose A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts