Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [10]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [3]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 446 [1]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: As bank staff streamed into work the next morning [#permalink]
Kudos
I think the answer should be B.

(A) presence.. were an ominous sign is incorrect, it should be was instead of were

(B) No errors!

(CE) Characteristically black suits is incorrect. The correct version is characteristic black suits.

(DE) Ominous sign of is incorrect.

Posted from my mobile device
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [2]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Kudos
As bank staff streamed into work the next morning, the presence of the SEC officials that wore their characteristic black suits were an ominous sign that the staff’s employer was in trouble.

A) the presence of the SEC officials that wore their characteristic black suits were an ominous sign that Incorrect

the presence is singular, so singular verb needed

B) the presence of the SEC officials wearing their characteristic black suits was an ominous sign that Correct

C) the presence of the SEC officials that wore their characteristically black suits was an ominous sign that Incorrect

that should be who, also characteristically uses wrong that changes meaning

D) the presence of the SEC officials who wore their characteristic black suits was an ominous sign of Incorrect

IC without any conjunction or semicolon

E) the presence of the SEC officials who wore their characteristically black suits was an ominous sign of Incorrect

characteristically uses wrong, also IC issue
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
My answer is (B). It took me 53 seconds.

(A) "the SEC officials that" should be "the SEC officials who".
In British English, "the SEC officials that" is ok. In American English, use "who" to refer to humans and "which" non-humans. Note that "whose" works for both humans and non-humans.
Besides, "were an ominous sign" should be "was an ominous sign" because the subject is "the presence".

(B) No obvious error. Keep for now.

(C) "the SEC officials that" should be "the SEC officials who".

(DE) "an sign of the staff’s employer was in trouble" is totally wrong.
Consider removing the verb "was": "an sign of the staff’s employer's trouble"

Note there is another split:
"their characteristic black suits" VS "their characteristically black suits"
I think either is okay even though their meanings are not exactly the same. What do you say?
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
zhanbo wrote:
I think either is okay even though their meanings are not exactly the same. What do you say?
Adverbs can not modify nouns. So, the adverb "characteristically" can not modify "black suits". But, the adjective "characteristic" on the other hand can.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]

Send PM
PyjamaScientist wrote:
zhanbo wrote:
Adverbs can not modify nouns. So, the adverb "characteristically" can not modify "black suits". But, the adjective "characteristic" on the other hand can.

Yet ”characteristically“ can modify an adjective such as "black"...
Its meaning will be different from "characteristic black", but the meaning is not unfathomable.
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [1]
Send PM
As bank staff streamed into work the next morning [#permalink]
Kudos
zhanbo wrote:
Its meaning will be different from "characteristic black", but the meaning is not unfathomable.

Intensifiers (jargon for adverbs modifying adjectives) usually clarify the degree or intensity of the adjective.
Example:
    That is an unusually tall tree. (Unusually tells how tall the tree is.)
If we have to use an adverb to modify a colour it should clarify the degree or intensity of that colour.
Example:
    She wore a blazingly red lipstick for her date. (blazingly tells the intensity of the colour red ).
In the sentence at hand though, "characteristically" in "characteristically black suit" does nothing towards providing the intensity or the degree of the adjective "black", so does the modification really make the cut here? I am not totally convinced how.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]

Send PM
PyjamaScientist wrote:
zhanbo wrote:

Intensifiers (jargon for adverbs modifying adjectives) usually clarify the degree or intensity of the adjective.
Example:
    That is an unusually tall tree. (Unusually tells how tall the tree is.)
If we have to use an adverb to modify a colour it should clarify the degree or intensity of that colour.
Example:
    She wore a blazingly red lipstick for her date. (blazingly tells the intensity of the colour red ).
In the sentence at hand though, "characteristically" in "characteristically black suit" does nothing towards providing the intensity or the degree of the adjective "black", so does the modification really make the cut here? I am not totally convinced how.

I am not sure myself whether "characteristically black" is correct, or the use of such necessarily eliminates the option. It might be a false split. Frankly, I did not even notice the split when I first answered the question.

If we google ”characteristically black", we see many hits. A couple of examples:
(1) The downy chicks are characteristically black in color, with rust on the head and neck, and the bill is red with a black tip. // "in color" is redundant though.
(2) Dressed casually in her characteristically black ensemble, her long, auburn hair pulled back in a ponytail, Darrah Carr is shuffling through ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Ans:B
A) the presence of the SEC officials that wore their characteristic black suits were an ominous sign that..s-v agreement wrong

B) the presence of the SEC officials wearing their characteristic black suits was an ominous sign that..correct

C) the presence of the SEC officials that wore their characteristically black suits was an ominous sign that...that cannot refer to officials

D) the presence of the SEC officials who wore their characteristic black suits was an ominous sign of..an ominous sign of is wrong

E) the presence of the SEC officials who wore their characteristically black suits was an ominous sign of ...an ominous sign of is wrong
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts